• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Converted... R7 3800x incoming!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
So pulled the trigger. Got a R7 3800x incoming. Decided on the 3800x vs the 3700x for $30 more... for a little more overhead possible.
Anyways is there any good tips when trying to OC this CPU? I know its pretty set in stone that they don't OC very far but im cool with that just a nice stable all around OC for the setup is what I'm aiming for.

Board paired with is an Asus Strix X570 Gaming-E (wifi)

First I would see how far you can push the performance boost and leave the 4.5 GHz max boost in place.

Moved to amd cpu section. :)

Unless your primary use for the cpu is utilizing all c/t, then like Johan said, see what you can do about pbo first. If you all c/t overclock, you'll lose some single thread performance.

PBO check. I'll try that first. Really don't need to use all C/T typically. Only limited amount of time and if it doesn't clock "max" for that and slightly slower I'm all good for it.
Starting to compress a bunch of video files so all I can do to get best speed and stability for using all cores and even partial cores I'm all good with!

You will like it for video compression my 3900X just eats through my BLU-RAY FILES.

You will like it for video compression my 3900X just eats through my BLU-RAY FILES.

Thats the idea :) Been working on for 2 weeks so far to pull my library down to my drives to be converted. 90 down and ready to start.... probably another 150-200 to go LOL. Was doing roughly 23-31 FPS depending on the movie before. Maybe can increase encoding time now with this CPU. Will find out soon. Get it tomorrow + setup, so guessing Wednesday we'll see some action. Funny had a 3900x on order and decided against it. I'm sure it just rips through them!

Depending what you use and the settings .... 1 BD50 movie to BD25 takes me about 40 min at default settings with BDRebuilder that's at 275 to 365 FPS at highest settings I'm about 1 hour 30min and about 70 to 170 FPS. I have never really converted many to other formats but the few I have where about the same. AANYDVD which also uses video card acceleration can do a BD50 in about 20 min.

So pulled the trigger. Got a R7 3800x incoming. Decided on the 3800x vs the 3700x for $30 more... for a little more overhead possible.
Anyways is there any good tips when trying to OC this CPU? I know its pretty set in stone that they don't OC very far but im cool with that just a nice stable all around OC for the setup is what I'm aiming for.

Board paired with is an Asus Strix X570 Gaming-E (wifi)

Don't even bother OC'ing, it isn't worth the effort. Just run it under PBO.

Don't even bother OC'ing, it isn't worth the effort. Just run it under PBO.

Noted!

Any thing bios wise i need to set / change besides the PBO? Line Load? Voltages (or is it auto set?)
Ram settings need to look at or will settings I use on my Intel setup work? 16GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4-3000 CL14 @ 3200Mhz CL14 w/ 1.35V (think there is CL16 settings for this chip as well that are good)

Noted!

Any thing bios wise i need to set / change besides the PBO? Line Load? Voltages (or is it auto set?)
Ram settings need to look at or will settings I use on my Intel setup work? 16GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4-3000 CL14 @ 3200Mhz CL14 w/ 1.35V (think there is CL16 settings for this chip as well that are good)

Under Advanced in the BIOS you can enable PBO everything else will auto set. Set the memory speed using DOCP which is Asus for XMP.

Under Advanced in the BIOS you can enable PBO everything else will auto set. Set the memory speed using DOCP which is Asus for XMP.

Perfect thanks for the quick tip! Man been good 17-18 years since had AMD CPU lol

Took a bit but got it up and running. Question though, my VID is set to auto.... i should be able to manually set this right? Its spiking pretty high from 1.38-1.5V in windows per Core Temp! CPU-z shows 1.45V max but averages 1.4V

Took a bit but got it up and running. Question though, my VID is set to auto.... i should be able to manually set this right? Its spiking pretty high from 1.38-1.5V in windows per Core Temp! CPU-z shows 1.45V max but averages 1.4V
Normal ryzen behavior. :)

You can of course adjust vcore.

If you leave it on auto with PBO you can try a negative offset to bring some of those spikes down

Set it to 1.3V last night still hitting 4.45Ghz roughly. Might try that negative offset.

Ram set to my default for now just @ 1500... had it at 1600 for a bit but system locked up on ram so must of not tweaked memory timings properly.

Wow this has been interesting so far. Hopefully get to dig into it more tonight. Haven't adjusted much yet but got it and my new Samsung NVME up and running properly. 20200218_211302.jpeg

Last edited:
Oops forgot to attach this after installed. Still need to tweak the mobos color. Used slots 2 and 4 for ram as it was very close to the coolers tubes seemed like it was pushing it slightly.

Got to note, thankfully this install of the cooler went smoothly! Had major contact issues with my intel setup and contact... funny enough not enough pressure... like AMDs GPUs [emoji23]

Temps still working on as figuring the coltage thing out. Might try this offset see if that helps more.

20200220_062512.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks awesome Deathman!
Tweaking the memory on Ryzen may take a bit, it's a bit different than Intel and likes certain things such as CR1 vs CR2

you are hitting 4.85ghz at 1.3v ?
Sorry typo... fixed it was supposed to be 4.485Ghz.

Looks awesome Deathman!
Tweaking the memory on Ryzen may take a bit, it's a bit different than Intel and likes certain things such as CR1 vs CR2
Yeah haven't hit that yet but I know I have issues with boot hang 8d error which relates to infinity fabric and SB voltages. I've tweaked some and seems to be working.

So far this morning tried a few things.
1.275-1.3V fixed seems to be the "good" value for PBO getting maximum of 4.485Ghz it looks like. Averages around 4.4Ghz though.

I tried the offset of -0.1125V and get roughly 4.4Ghz as well with this but tends to lower to 4.3Ghz. This gives a voltage of roughly 1.288V per the monitor.

Software in windows is a little odd, using offset the voltages values give odd numbers, but next want to see where I can find the line load calibration at least in the bios and maybe try that out. Do a lvl 3 on it see if that helps stabilize the voltage for a more accurate higher clock.

Temps flux a bit, its no where as cool as my intel setup where right now was hitting 24C idle and 54C load. Hitting roughly 34-40C idle and 68C ish load give or take a little. Processor max I've seen says about 88W per the Asus III Suite.

Software has been kinda all over the place with Ryzen since the first vision came out. If you ask you will get couple different answers but mostly people have been seeing best reliable reporting from HWIfo64 .

Of the 3 different boards I have had since Ryzen came out including both X470 and X570 Taichi none have shown VCore that has held rock steady. VDroop on my current board is much improved over the first generation but still lacks the rock solid VCore I was used to on my CHV Formula and CHIV with AMD FX.

Back