• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Converted... R7 3800x incoming!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well... finally got a little time to work this and do a little research.

So quick break down...
Found a little guide to how someone OCed a 3700x on an Asus board. Basically took the Asus III Suite and used what was called 5-Way Optimization to "find" an OC to work with. Ran it (not painful) and waited and watched it. Came out in the end at 4.4Ghz with roughly a 1.3V required. Seemed pretty good. 4.45Ghz it crashed, and 4.425Ghz it passed its test so it bumps it a little lower. Porabably see if I can tweak a few settings and try it again. As well noticed my water cooler pump was set to quiet mode and not balanced so it was running really slow. Now it should work with a little cooler temps!

So after running its stable at 4.4Ghz about 28-30C idle temp / full out encoding its around 66-70C right now. Doing other things so temps are 100% stabilized.

Found a way to potentially OC my Ram a bit more. For now locked at the XMP profile of 3000... will bump it up to 3200 and maybe even 3600 hopefully :) I know it has room to grow. Got a few programs and a guide to follow.

And have to say when doing encoding its roughly 2 to 2.5x faster than my old setup. Super thrilled about this!

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd, now that you know what auto does, uninstall that quasi virus app and overclock manually. :)

AISuite can do more harm than good at times.

I found AISuite to be a pain to remove. It isnt a simple process, sadly!

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd, now that you know what auto does, uninstall that quasi virus app and overclock manually. :)

AISuite can do more harm than good at times.

LOL yeah few things got installed and is quiet annoying. But yes I will be "removing" unnesssisary stuff here shortly once I test a few more things. Even the Network App to "help improve network traffic" LOL. By default it was set to gaming and was getting nice 2MB/sec transfer rate with files across the network.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

I found AISuite to be a pain to remove. It isnt a simple process, sadly!

Good to know. If i have to nuke the setup so be it :)

you can google how to get rid of it. just a pain, and way more than should be required

Ooh thanks for that info!

Also got to say when system is at full load doing: encoding, transfering data across network (470GB), surfing the web, checking settings on my server on the network.... its smooth. Butter smooth. My intel would lag slightly doing all this so im very impressed. Guessing core count is helping with this mostly.

So still solid at 4.4Ghz... 72C roughly after my AOI temp settled down at 29C. Guess now its time to tweak more :)

Edit: Never mind temps coming down. Placed side of my case on water temp already dropped 2C more and CPU is about 1-2C cooler and still falling

Last edited:
And... sadly 4.4 fails for encoding. So does 4.375 and takes about 8 hours but 4.35 does as well. Using anywhere from 1.325-1.4V. Dropped her to 4.3Ghz with 1.3V with load voltage around 1.27-1.28V which was the same even for thr other clocks i did.

Still tweaking but looks like 4.3Ghz is the sweet spot and anything more requires juice at least for encoding, day to day might be totally fine. This stays higher clocked than PBO though, that drops for me to 4.1Ghz.... no matter the voltage (for extended runs).

Havent had a hard reset or total lock up thankfully just app getting killed when it fails. So been able to see some data at least.

Ram still at 3000 but got the info to bring it up to 3200 with tighter timings or even up to 3466 still using CAS 14 timings, might not as requires 1.4V amd more comfortable with a 1.35V max for ram. If i go to CAS 16 could do 3600, 3800+.... not sure if there is benefit to that with looser timings yet. Will be next up to tweak.

Oh.. and removed AI Suite 3... zero issues. Might have to clean up some directory stuff but overall went smoothly with the official uninstall + that other uninstaller you linked above.

You'll see more benefits from ram speed then tighter timings not that there is nothing gained from tighter timings. I am not a ram guy someone else may be able to tell you more then I can, part of it is that the Infinity fabric runs in lock step with your ram speed up to 3600 after that they decouple and run in 2 to 1 mode and a performance penalty is noticed. You can OC your Infinity Fabric a little but that is chip dependent from what I have seen. I can run mine at 1900 for 3800mhz on my ram at 16 16 16 32 but not everyone has been able to.

Is this RAM borrowed from the Intel machine in your Sig? Wondering why you are going with only 3000 mhz RAM. For Ryzen 2, 3600 is the sweet spot. And Ryzen performance really benefits from fast RAM, more so than Intel because of the Infinity fabric component.

Is this RAM borrowed from the Intel machine in your Sig? Wondering why you are going with only 3000 mhz RAM. For Ryzen 2, 3600 is the sweet spot. And Ryzen performance really benefits from fast RAM, more so than Intel because of the Infinity fabric component.

Correct its from my Intel Rig as just did a swap out of board and processor. It does OC, I know it does just need to play with it a little more wanted to get the CPU clock speed set before hitting the ram.

Its good to know with the faster speed is what to aim for. Was reading up on it a little last night and seeing that 3733Mhz is the true sweet spot before it goes to a 2:1 switch. I got the ram timing calculator for the ram all ready to start trying settings so will be doing that tonight if I don't fall asleep early :)

Would you do us the favor of updating your Signature to reflect the new combination of components? Also, I would suggest your next purchase be that of truly higher speed RAM. When I used the term "sweet spot" I was referring not just to frequency but pricing and latency.

Would you do us the favor of updating your Signature to reflect the new combination of components? Also, I would suggest your next purchase be that of truly higher speed RAM. When I used the term "sweet spot" I was referring not just to frequency but pricing and latency.

Yes I'll be updating it shortly.

As for the ram, no need to buy new I'll just OC the stuff I got :)

I just don't think you will be able to get to the "sweet spot" starting with RAM rated for XMP 3000 mhz.

Alright few days here but an update.
4.3Ghz stable still tweaked the LCC for the CPU and SOC to lvl 3 with optimized settings for both. Really limited the Vdroop when put under load. Also was able to bring the voltage down to 1.25V (1.232V droop) and testing still on this. Will try for higher clocks if it works but I know some quick tests didn't work for it with 1.3V (1.28V droop) @ 4.4Ghz... 4.35Ghz might be a possibility :)

As for the ram side got the FCLK locked in at 1800 and ram got to 3600Mhz as well. Running CAS 16 on it from my original CAS 14 so far looking good. Really have to do a few more tests with them but looks very promising. Performance is close to that of some other results doing some quick benches so seems legit.

Depends on luck to the CPU, IF works at 1:1 up to 1900MHz. Usually, it doesn't require any additional voltages and it won't really react to anything above standard voltages. The maximum stable which is guaranteed on most configurations is 1800MHz so memory at 3600. 3733 or 3800 usually require manual IF 1:1 setting.
In general, you could try a higher clock at 1:2 ratio but it looks good only at DDR4-4600+ and mostly on 3900X/3950X CPUs. Considering your settings, I assume you have Samsung memory so it works better at the lower clock but tighter timings. Something like 3600 16-16-16-36 1N 1.35-1.40V should be optimal. The higher clock is a matter of luck while tighter timings won't help much. The typical difference is around 0-1% in games or non-synthetic bandwidth benchmarks at any higher clock or tighter timings so really not worth the time required for stability tests.

4.4GHz on these CPUs usually require 1.45-1.50V. 4.35GHz 1.40-1.45V. All my 3600/3600X/3700X could make anything between 4.3GHz 1.375V and 4.4GHz 1.50V. I guess depends on luck, it's +/- 100MHz and +/- 0.1V. 3800X supposed to be a bit better but overall results are about the same as 3700X and 3900X/3950X are significantly better but also cost much more.
I also noticed that 3900X/3950X have better memory controllers but in general no one cares about it as even the worst 3600 that I was testing could pass DDR4-4600 fully stable. However, 3900X was the only one that could run stable at DDR4-5000 and around the web I haven't seen 5000+ results on anything lower than the 3900X.

Yeah actually FCLK was working out of the box at 1800 (3600) at default. Been seeing 1866 (3733) seems to be guaranteed and anything after is gravy.

Yeah I got the Samsung B modules. Clocked at 16, 16, 16, 32 with T1 and 1.35V. Guess could do 14's if i pump 1.45V into it which guess its rated for still. Highest setttings I could find was for DDR4-4000... Though pumping crazy (what seems crazy) volts into it doubt will gain little overall performance after this bump. I just know the bump from DDR4-3000, "what the ram is rated for", to DDR4-3600 was a good bump in gaming and worth it but after that haven't seen many tests yet to prove its worth the additional tweak.

Yeah CPU side thats good to see, I know PBO was hitting 4.5Ghz but it was pumping 1.5V into it as well. Changing voltages seemed to change very little on the CPU temps and even power usage per Ryzen Master software. Temps overall stay pretty fixed without the crazy voltages. Even going from 1.25 to 1.3V only saw a 1-2C max increase. I'll be running some longer stress testing on it to figure out where additional sweet spots are since if I got room to improve it and why not for now :) Its new might as well figure the limits. Kinda fun since Intel was basically change 1-2 settings and done it seemed like.

Edit: Curious though does adjusting the power limit for the CPU help? Going to maybe 110 or 120%? Saw it in the tab with the LLC settings

Last edited:
Edit: Curious though does adjusting the power limit for the CPU help? Going to maybe 110 or 120%? Saw it in the tab with the LLC settings

I find high temps a bigger problem than the power limit. Actually, I'm not sure if there is any power limit on your motherboard that would limit your OC just because stock is already up to ~1.45V so even if you set 1.55V then it doesn't seem too much. I can't see any problems like that on my CHVIII Impact and I was checking 3900X up to 4.5GHz+.

I find high temps a bigger problem than the power limit. Actually, I'm not sure if there is any power limit on your motherboard that would limit your OC just because stock is already up to ~1.45V so even if you set 1.55V then it doesn't seem too much. I can't see any problems like that on my CHVIII Impact and I was checking 3900X up to 4.5GHz+.

Dang lol. What you run your 3900x at typically?

My question what is "safe" voltage to put into a 7nm product. Course probably being over cautious and you're right, temperatures seem to be a larger issue than tossing volts even at stock which shoot up to 1.5V+ with PBO enabled with everything on auto. Only other temp that seems high is the VRM's, but not sure exactly what the temp is on them. I think they are running around 88C per a temp read out because I don't think anything else on the board would run that hot. Another was in the 67C range which seemed more accurate for it and per tests done on review sites but I don't have anything to probe them to figure it out. Though the heatsinks on them seemed fine to the touch.

Back