• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Converted... R7 3800x incoming!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I run it at auto/stock and I'm using it mostly for reviews and other tests. When I make memory OC comparison then I always keep it at stock so it will be repeatable also for readers.
I'm using almost only air cooling for tests nowadays so I'm quite limited. I can overclock the CPU as long as I'm not bumping the voltage but for 3900X it's not really an overclock.
Even better air cooling is giving me 90°C+ under full load on the 3900X. The best results were on Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black but it's too big for my current motherboard and I have to use NH-U12S. 3900X temps should be around 6-7°C higher than the 3600X/3700X/3800X.
In my tests 6 and 8 cores heat up about the same. Noctua engineers confirmed that too. It's a matter of die design. I think if you are using Corsair AIO for your CPU then you didn't try something like Prime95 with AVX or AIDA64 FPU+CPU tests. I wasn't able to go under ~77°C on a pretty good AIO and 3700X under full load. The best results on air were at low 80's like 81-82°C.
Check temps using hwinfo64. It seems to be the most accurate. Max temps are up to 95°C so anything under that is still good and without throttling :)

My basement is cool right now in the 60F range so yeah I top around 68-70C right now. Weather its the 1.25V i'm tossing at it right now or the 1.3V i toss at it for 4.3Ghz at least. I seen it go up to 72-73C on an unstable 4.4Ghz clock with 1.35V. Overall I've been impressed with my AIO after got the contact situation fixed on my Intel block. Curious if maybe I could improve this with a few washers for a little extra force. It improved my temps, and quieter since I run the fans either at "quiet" or "balanced mode" (half speed) and it does a fantastic job for RGB Corsair fans.

Actually tried the Intel Burn Test this morning (what I used for stability before) and hits roughly the same temps as when I encode. Hit 69C, and the highest temp on the board I saw was 93-95C for some component that typically was in the 88-89C range. Was going to try the AIDA64 next just didn't have time this morning to run it so I'll post results of that in the next day or two.

Back