• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling a TV card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NiHaoMike

dBa Member
http://www.john-am.com/2011/01/modding-a-hauppauge-wintv-hvr-950q-with-heatsinks/
I'm actually doing just that on my HVR-850 (which is actually a HVR-950Q without the analog adapter cable) since I'm going to be using it in a MythTV system where it would run 24/7. I used JB Weld to mount a heatsink over the demodulator and USB chips. I also insulated the RF front end (except for the top of the tuner chip) and put a piece of copper tape over it, soldered the tape to ground (shielding enhancement since I'm planning on putting it inside a PC case), and attached a heatsink over that with JB Weld.

so did the thing perform any better or something? lol

I guess it was not for performance but rather to increase its life. Even though I guess this chips are designed to handle those temperatures, a heatsink could improve its life and, maybe, signal quality. No idea about that, though, I am no electrical engineer.

Something. I respect the work and effort, just not sure what it will yield. If the thing dies within its warranty period now, he's screwed.

idk it was a random lotr quote from me :D no idea on the life span on those, though i dont think they cost very much.

edit holy crap those are expensive!!! 70 bucks for a usb tuner :O

nn4axf.jpg
It does seem to report a slightly better signal level, but that might just be the weather.
If the thing dies within its warranty period now, he's screwed.
I actually bought it a few years ago (for use with a laptop) so the warranty is long gone. I got it for $20 or so on a Thanksgiving sale. (About the same price as those DTV converter boxes *after subsidies*, but it is both much smaller and works much better. Talk about a waste of tax dollars...)

idk, in that link the heatsink was getting almost not enough to burn hum so the heat was going to it, just didnt have any air flow to dissipate it, it seems anyhow. i could be wrong though

JB Weld is better than common thermal compound, although it probably couldn't compete against the really good stuff. But in this application, it's more than good enough.
http://www.overclockers.com/better-than-thermal-grease/
I've been using JB Weld to attach heatsinks to some lower powered chips (particularly those that had only a small heatsink or no stock heatsink) and it always worked well.

Back