• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling pc with lube

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HappyMerchant77

Hi, I want to make a custom build submerged PC as a free time project, and I wanted to make it unique so I wanted to ask if lube could be used as a coolant for it ?

The only thing I've seen used for that is mineral oil. Lube? Where exactly will this build be located?? LOL
JK. I would be careful about viscosity and conductivity, as well as thermal properties.

You need a beefy pump for circulation (viscosity of the 'lube' he was talking about) and worry about how whatever 'lube' you want to use doesnt react with the components you planned to submerge.

So, what 'lube' bud?

Lube? not a good idea as it could be conductive.

I only know of two things that can be used for submerged cooling builds,mineral oil and vegetable oil. But any none conductive oil should work, but some will eat the rubber in the bottoms of caps and eat away at the PCBs, stain parts and what not.

Vegetable oil wile works will leave a big asp mess to deal with, it will not last long and brake down and stink after awhile.
Mineral oil is the way to go from what I know. But it will still make a mess of your parts.

Keeping in mind that you still have to circulate the fluid. If you rely on convection you could be worse off. This point was eluded to so I wanted to be specific about it. In the mineral oil projects that I've seen, they used the same air cooling fans that you would normally see in a computer. However, the thickness of the fluid causes the fans to work harder and thus wear out. This was also stated earlier so I'm just echoing that.

Back