• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair H100 vs Noctua NH-D14

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Iamazn

Registered
Which would cool a 3770k better?
Corsair H100 push/pull config, 2x 120mm on bottom, 140mm and 100mm on top.
Noctua NH-D14

-IF I were to get the Corsair H100, should I keep the 120mm fans or change them? What 140mm fan should I get? What 100mm fan should I get?
-IF I were to get the NH-D14, is it possible to add another fan to it?
-IF I were to get the NH-D14, should I keep the stock fans or change them out? If you can fit a third fan, which fan should I get for it?

Pretty close to equal cooling power between the two IMO when both are run with stock fans.

I don't think you will gain anything by adding a third fan to the Noctua. You would probably improve the cooling efficiency a little with more powerful fans on either the D14 or the H100 but not as much as you might think and you would have more noise to contend with. The size and design of the heatsink is more important than whether you change the fans or add a pull fan. Working with the fans will only gain you 1-4 degrees of cooling efficiency at the most I'm guessing.

Pretty close to equal cooling power between the two IMO when both are run with stock fans.

I don't think you will gain anything by adding a third fan to the Noctua. You would probably improve the cooling efficiency a little with more powerful fans on either the D14 or the H100 but not as much as you might think and you would have more noise to contend with. The size and design of the heatsink is more important than whether you change the fans or add a pull fan. Working with the fans will only gain you 1-4 degrees of cooling efficiency at the most I'm guessing.
For watercooling, the only thing I plan to get is the H100... I don't really want to get a custom water cooling kit or anything. As for air cooling, is there anything better than the D14?

The D14 is at or near the top of the food chain for air coolers. Have you researched the reviews? I saw a review the other day that place a few others above the Noctua but there are so many variables in testing that you have to be careful not to believe the first one you come across. Frosty Tech uses an artificial test bench method instead of testing them in a real computer, for what it's worth: http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

The H100 destroys the D14 in every way, I have both in service right now :thup:

I use 4x 38x120's on the H100, works great! A third fan on the D14 will do nothing. I have experimented with fans on the D14, but found there was little improvement. The D14 has a very hard time keeping up with my 970, but seems at home with my tiny Q9550 :D

If you had 20-25c temp difference between the two coolers it makes me wonder if the Noctua was seated correctly or if the paste wasn't applied well.

I guess I should say I'm not an Intel guy so the observations I have made about these two coolers' performance relates to AMD user's experience. I have never owned either of these two coolers to be honest but I have helped and followed a lot of guys on the AMD side of the forum who were using them and my sense was the H100 on the average seemed to cool a little better but not by the amount you describe, maybe more like 2-3c.

I'm curious. Are you guys running the H100 with the stock TIM the unit comes with...? Or did you replace it with something of your own?

If you had 20-25c temp difference between the two coolers it makes me wonder if the Noctua was seated correctly or if the paste wasn't applied well.

I guess I should say I'm not an Intel guy so the observations I have made about these two coolers' performance relates to AMD user's experience. I have never owned either of these two coolers to be honest but I have helped and followed a lot of guys on the AMD side of the forum who were using them and my sense was the H100 on the average seemed to cool a little better but not by the amount you describe, maybe more like 2-3c.

I knew people would think that :) Believe me, I checked. Ive gone thru tubes of AS5 trying to figger out what the issue was, if there was one. It works great on my 9550, I run it at 4ghz, and it soaks up the heat with no problem. My 970 tho.. Its a voltage hungry pig, one of the first of its kind I believe.. once you go over 3.8, you need good cooling. The D14 was supposed to replace my ultra 120 extreme that I have had for years. I have always wondered if there was a cracked pipe under the base of the D14. Also for load generation, I use IBT. P95 does not get as warm. ANd by warm, I mean into the 90s, it will reboot at about 107c on the corez :attn:

I use 4x 38x120's on the H100D

That would be why there is more then 2.5c difference than what you are used to seeing. On the same token, I have tried 2x 38x120s on the D14, with and without a center fan.. Not really sure what else to say :D This is just the experience Ive had with mine. I know alot of people complain about the quality of the H100. Ive had mine since Christmas, and its been good to me, no problems to report. The lines off the rad could be a bit longer.

Last edited:
Guys I have the same processor of freeagent and I cooling it with a Tt Frío OcK and the normal temp is 31° - 34° and full load 40° - 42° I belive this is a good temp..

Just 1.308V But this temp are good, because my air flow system are not good, I need some pieces for finish it.. :)

I Would definitely recommend changing H100/H80 fans because they are loud on full load but for the NH-D14 I don't thing you need to change the fans but adding another one could help by 1c maybe.

I get bad temps with my CPU which is disappointing by corsair H80 or is it not? I would like to know from other peoples experiences please??

testing stock speed 2700k 3.9GHz Turbo
Room temp: 24c

Idles: 29, 30, 30, 34

Running Prime95 Small FFT for maximum stress more then 30 minutes

Load: 56, 58, 58, 59

with these temps on stock speed 2700k looks high and not much room to overclock, which overclocking was my purpose of getting the H80.

4.5GHz with only 1.3 Volts but not happy with the load temps or is it OK??

Room temp: 24

Idles: 31, 33, 34, 36

Prime95 Small FFT again more then 30 minutes

Load: 68, 69, 69, 71

the thing is when overclocked from idle 30c it would jump up to 60c straight away when starting prime95 small FFT??

Is there something I could do to get the Temps any better?

Have I got something wrong here or are these temps fine, why the 30c jump when stressed?
------------------------------------
Case: CoolerMaster 430 ELITE
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD55
CPU: Intel Core i7 2700k
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80, Arctic MX-4 compound / paste
GPU: MSI GTX 560TI 880Mhz
Ram: Kingstone HyperX Genesis 4x4GB 16GB 1333MHz
Power Supply: 800W
Monitor: LG 1080p LED 22in
Windows 64bit Ultimate

I Would definitely recommend changing H100/H80 fans because they are loud on full load but for the NH-D14 I don't thing you need to change the fans but adding another one could help by 1c maybe.

I get bad temps with my CPU which is disappointing by corsair H80 or is it not? I would like to know from other peoples experiences please??

testing stock speed 2700k 3.9GHz Turbo
Room temp: 24c

Idles: 29, 30, 30, 34

Running Prime95 Small FFT for maximum stress more then 30 minutes

Load: 56, 58, 58, 59

with these temps on stock speed 2700k looks high and not much room to overclock, which overclocking was my purpose of getting the H80.

4.5GHz with only 1.3 Volts but not happy with the load temps or is it OK??

Room temp: 24

Idles: 31, 33, 34, 36

Prime95 Small FFT again more then 30 minutes

Load: 68, 69, 69, 71

the thing is when overclocked from idle 30c it would jump up to 60c straight away when starting prime95 small FFT??

Is there something I could do to get the Temps any better?

Have I got something wrong here or are these temps fine, why the 30c jump when stressed?
------------------------------------
Case: CoolerMaster 430 ELITE
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD55
CPU: Intel Core i7 2700k
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80, Arctic MX-4 compound / paste
GPU: MSI GTX 560TI 880Mhz
Ram: Kingstone HyperX Genesis 4x4GB 16GB 1333MHz
Power Supply: 800W
Monitor: LG 1080p LED 22in
Windows 64bit Ultimate

probably more productive if you start a thread of your own, instead of tacking on your questions to someone else thread.

but as for your questions everything looks fine

Jumping to 60 right away is more a chip thing. The heat built up can't move that fast from the silicon to the IHS and too the H80 block, and liquid can't absorb heat that fast. You could have a hot chip.

Your load temps aren't unusual for an H80, and 4.5 is a pretty good overclock, lots on wattage there buddy. Your okay as I see it with an H80. Even with a full on quality WC loop, the 30C jump might only be 20C, and your load temps could be 7-8C lower easily, and at MUCH less noise levels.

Back