• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cost for a pelter?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
bri1 said:
someone plz tell me what the cheapest pelter and the most expensive pelter would cost and why?

i have seen $15 pelts and i ahve seen $200 pelts. They differ in wattage, meaning, how hot one side gets, and how cold the otherside gets.

oopse sorry guys i guess i should have thought about the way i stated the question

i mean a setup

what are the swifftec premade pelters like i noticed they cost like 120 but they look real clean are they worth the money or would there be a diff in performance between those and a custom one?

If you have the money, swiftech's settups are about as good as you are going to get. If you already have a a waterblock that is decent for cooling a pelt, just buy the pelt and get you own insulation.

I would say its either impossible or really impractical to air cool a pelt settup for a cpu now. That is, anything putting out more than 50w. An AMD system might be possible but a prescott is out of the question.

LabRat23 said:
I would say its either impossible or really impractical to air cool a pelt settup for a cpu now. That is, anything putting out more than 50w. An AMD system might be possible but a prescott is out of the question.
oh hell no. any pelt on a cpu these days would be at least 226W, and the total output wattage is 226 PLUS the actual CPU wattage, which is typically about 80W these days. thats 306W of heat for a piece of metal to dissipate. Intel's big -*** stock coolers can barely cut it on 80W...

a pelt on a gpu, however, could be potentially aircooled.

I think you don't understand how much heat we are dealing with here. If you fire up a 200+ watt pelt without a heatsink on it, you will get a very quick meltdown. If you put a heatsink on it without a fan running, you have about one minute before meltdown.

A 200+ watt pelt has about half an ohm of resistance. Think of it as as close as you can get to a short circuit.

You need a waterblock. I would suggest one that has its cooling surfaces spread out such as swiftech's 600x series or a maze type of block.

LabRat23 said:
You need a waterblock. I would suggest one that has its cooling surfaces spread out such as swiftech's 600x series or a maze type of block.

maze, easy enough to order one with a coldplate.

Dont attempt DIY coldplate and mounting until you get some experience under your belt.

You should be very careful with peltiers. I have one and many things can go wrong. First off you are putting 8-12A of current through that thing. You can easily melt or catch the wires on fire. I used a cheap molex connector and that melted down quite quickly. If for some reason your cooling system is not adequate, the peltier will meltdown and break. That's if you are luck. If you are unlucky it will catch something on fire.

You should think of the amount of heat as the watts from the processor + the watts from the peltier. So if you have a processor that puts out 160W + 226W peltier thats almost 400W of heat. It would be very difficult to cool that effectively with an air heatsink. You absolutely NEED water.

One day the fan on my radiator died. The water temp reached 80C, along with the outside of the case. I found out when I touched the case and practically burned my hand.

Back