• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Could I get more out of my Sempron 145?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So what will he really have after purchasing a new motherboard?

He will still have a single stick of 2gig ram. He will still have a single core sempron with a stock cooler for the temps of a country in the hot middle east it sounds like.

The board and processor (145 Sempron ) seem to run at a 500Mhz overclock pretty sucessfully, the best I could tell with all the many threads and jumping around that has gone on.

So he gets some sort of different AMD chipset motherboard and seems still with onboard video which limits him to an older chipset and most of the good mobo makers Asus, Gigabyte and so forth are using old AMD chipsets to cobble together onboard desktop motherboards for cpus that are not AMD APUs.

Then he gets a new motherboard and we tell him you need more ram. You need a newer cooler to overclock.

I wonder if a good suggestion might not be to get a 'real' 4 core Boxed AMD processor and put it in the board he has and the performance would be way ahead of the sempron. I doubt any board will bring a Sempron up to the performance of a 4 core running at its' stock speed of 3.0Ghz or 3.2Ghz if he gets the correct AMD four core processor.

Sometimes I think we get hung-up on overclocking. I tend to do so, but I had to learn otherwise to deal with 'customers' for 6.5 years.

So where is his 'real' bang for the buck? Truth be told it is probably a newer AMD APU setup, but if not then likely a good 4 core graphicless cpu and stock cooler working over anything he could do with a Sempron overall.

I personally would not trust they board running a quad, all you need to do is look at it, the layout is like something from the 939 era and the power section has zero cooling whatsoever :-/

RGone, I agree.
Also, I think we are overcomplicating so many things here...

I don't know what all this rambling about chaintech has to do with him overclocking his Sempron 145.

If he can't spend money, then we need to ask him some questions, get through this language barrier, and give him the best overclock out of what he currently has instead of telling him to buy stuff, telling him that what he has is causing him major problems and such.

I'm not even sure what problems we are talking about, what problems are being caused.

With AMD CPUs (i.e., the "AMD platform" I spoke of earlier), there really is not debate on which chipset is better for overclocking: AMD chipsets win hands down. Nvidia chipsets are viable alternatives when overclocking Intel CPUs but they are terrible on the AMD CPU platform side.

There's no overcomplicating going on here, his board is no good, read the thread ! You got to ask yourself "would you use it" even on a budget...

With AMD CPUs (i.e., the "AMD platform" I spoke of earlier), there really is not debate on which chipset is better for overclocking: AMD chipsets win hands down. Nvidia chipsets are viable alternatives when overclocking Intel CPUs but they are terrible on the AMD CPU platform side.
I disagree.
NVIDIA quit making chipsets 3 years ago, but 3 years ago, I don't think nvidia was terrible compared to AMD.
The options on most low-end 630a boards are not any different than the 740G chipset boards that competed with them... :shrug:

There's no overcomplicating going on here, his board is no good, read the thread ! You got to ask yourself "would you use it" even on a budget...
Okay, but if you go look at the options on low end 740G chipset boards you wouldn't use them either...even from big names like asus, gigabyte, msi, asrock...
The boards of that generation in that price range all had about the same options. :/

Now, things are a little different, but you can't buy 2013's "budget car" in 2008, for example.

Three years ago, maybe. But OP is talking about upgrading to a better board with a higher end chipset now because the low end Nvidia board he now has is buggy junk.

Three years ago, maybe. But OP is talking about upgrading to a better board with a higher end chipset now because the low end Nvidia board he now has is buggy junk.
Okay, thanks for clearing that up trents :thup:

If he plans to upgrade to a board that allows better overclocking, that's great.

If we are talking about NVIDIA vs AMD, should probably leave the comparison for the generations that competed though since NVIDIA does not even compete any longer.

NVIDIA vs AMD = NVIDIA crap
=
AMD vs AMD = AMD crap :p

:bday:

Yeah, in the early part of the thread the OP was explaining how his bios was reporting CPU core voltages that were unrealistically high, well over 2v but the reporting software was giving the realistic amount. Even 2-3 years ago we were getting a disproportionately high number of Nvidia chipset board users reporting weird, buggy bios stuff when compared to low end AMD chipset board users. Is Nvidia out of the chipset market now on the Intel side too?

Yeah, Nvidia hasnt been here since s775 days IIRC (750i, 780i, 790i - I think that was their name)... and while they worked fine for the most part, they were sure not as good as the Intel based chipsets.

I'm waiting for AMD's new piledriver CPU's or will go to AMD Trinity APU's .

Guys tell me How much power will be enough for an amd athlon 440e beause i'm gonna unlock my sempron 145.currently my 145 is running at 1.35v and speed is 3.6ghz without any problem

Guys tell me How much power will be enough for an amd athlon 440e beause i'm gonna unlock my sempron 145.currently my 145 is running at 1.35v and speed is 3.6ghz without any problem

What are you powering the system with now? Model of powersupply and manufacturer.

Back