• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU with good IGP?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ivy

Looking for a affordable AMD CPU with a good IGP (may be used as a mailserver, so i dont need a dedicated GPU), whats the best option and what board (price does matter but no trash)?!
I had in mind that the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819106002 could be good deal.

Btw. I plan to use Ubuntu OS, hope thats not a problem.

Why is there almost no AMD CPU tests on the net?

Last edited:
Looking for a affordable AMD CPU with a good IGP (may be used as a mailserver, so i dont need a dedicated GPU), whats the best option and what board (price does matter but no trash)?!
I had in mind that the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819106002 could be good deal.

Btw. I plan to use Ubuntu OS, hope thats not a problem.

Why is there almost no AMD CPU tests on the net?

That one is good enough and This one is better yet if you can wait a while the new A10 APU's will be out in the not to distant future, A10 = replacement for A8

The IGPU on those is upto a staggering ~40% better, and the CPU performance is also up about ~10 - 15%

There are APU drivers readily available for Ubuntu, i don't know how good they are but the Ubuntu drivers for my AMD GPU work well.

Is the name known from those new CPUs? I can wait, no problem.

Wouldnt ANY with an IGP due? All it needs is a picture on the screen since its a mail server so the IGP doesnt matter.

Last edited:
Not really because i enjoy performance for a reason, it could enhance flash videos and i could probably occasionally use the PC for browsing. I just want the best i can get for the cash.

I dont own a board yet...

Any of the APUs will do flash happily. Hell an E350 or Atom will do flash happily.
Same for any AMD mobo with the IGPU in the NB.
I expect the Intel IGPU bits will too.
Personally I've yet to see GPU accelerated flash do anything but cause issues, I wouldn't worry about it.

Not really because i enjoy performance for a reason, it could enhance flash videos and i could probably occasionally use the PC for browsing. I just want the best i can get for the cash.

I dont own a board yet...
Best you can get for the money fine. But dont kid yourself that you need a 'high end' iGPU for flash or browsing.

You know better... :p

Probably true, but i always enjoy open possibilitys. Prehaps someday i find another use and it just will be totaly future proof. When i am able to get a 40% stronger one, in exchange for some months of waiting, its not worth not to wait for.

Im in a overclocker board for reason. When stuff is sufficient its not sufficient because im some sort of maximalist, however, this time it have to be cost effective... much more than it ever did before. AMD could be unbetable at doing so.

Might know someone else who might want to use that APU for some low res gaming, but thats not me.

All i need is at least 2 extremely cost effective systems with low performance because of security reasons. But not that low that i start to think that a smartphone is able to beat it, i would get mentally ill.

Last edited:
It probably will deal with HD Flash and Flash / Java games and so on... better than other, weaker IGPU's, not the mention the fact that it will do low setting DX11 gaming with out the need for a discrete GPU, then there is Photo / Video work / HTPC.. ect

If your looking for a good but low cost media station an APU is perfect, and that is exactly what there designed to be.

But ED is also right, if your just looking to display a picture and don't need any of the above, any IGPU will do.

Last edited:
Sure? Is that APU able to decode H264 1080P without a single struggle? Then it is able to serve as a media processor.

Sure? Is that APU able to decode H264 1080P without a single struggle? Then it is able to serve as a media processor.

Yes it will....

[Edit] this is the mobile part A10 http://hothardware.com/Reviews/AMD-Trinity-A104600M-Processor-Review/?page=5 the Desktop part can only be better.

For H264 1080P playback....

Windows Task Manager's Performance monitor shows the new quad-core chip is oscillating between 0 - 5% CPU utilization, which is a little lower actually than what we saw with Intel's Ivy Bridge mobile chip. Apparently AMD's new HD Media Accelerator engine is no joke in Trinity, at least with respect to H.264-based video decode and playback.

For re-encoding (CPU performance) Its fine but beaten by Intel's 'likely' more expensive i7 chips (software) don't know what this A10-4### will cost yet, not until then can it be compared to similar priced Intel chips, That IMHO is what actually matters.
A $60.000 car will always be better than a $20.000 car, you can't compare them and call it its equivalent.

And Intel's Quick Sync still monsters and accelerated recoding

Last edited:
Decoding streaming videos is more of a CPU intensive task than a GPU intensive task. I would think most any modern CPU and a motherboard with a decent IGP would do just fine.

The old single core Pentiums and Athlons were challenged when it came to decoding streaming video but any dual core or better CPU would handle it quite easily.

I would stay away from the AMD APUs for a while if you are using Linux. Wait until more development is done for the drivers.

Back