• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Der8auer - x299 vrm disaster

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Janus67

Benching Team Leader

Basically saying that the VRMs and the heatsinks on the motherboards are insufficient for the load that the cpus pull under an ambient overclock.

Interesting... never touched the back of the board (prime x299), and the vrm was warm to the touch. I didnt see any throttling in the p95 tests with avx... going to have to look at that again....

While I'd love to jump on the Intel mobo bashing bandwagon, after years of FX boards taking heat (pun not intended, but I'll take it), the fact remains that AMD based boards were by and large a disaster for OCing FX chips. It came down to two boards being recommended and less than a handful in the "Maybe, give it a try" group. The rest were "Hell no, don't do it". I'm curious as to whether or not this will be dealt with better than the Bulldozer boards were, though.

Haven't watched video. Have come across a bigger thread on another forum. Summary is something along the lines that these mobos may be limited in power anyway since they only went with 1x8 for CPU, and for serious overclocking you might look for a 8+4 or 8+8. Temps aren't necessarily a major problem as I was instructed previously elsewhere on this forum. Something about PSU connector getting hot, some have attributed that to the specific PSU used as apparently that unusually commons some wires, which would not affect other PSUs dedicating connections better.

Temps aren't necessarily a major problem as I was instructed previously elsewhere on this forum

Temps were the issue with VRMs. 80C+ on an open test bench for the plug and 105C for the VRMs. Lock those things in an average case and you have the potential for a weenie roast right there under your desk. I'd guess the X chips pull a lot of juice when leaned on (sound familiar?). The easy answer is don't buy a X299 board yet, and the less easy answer if you already have one is don't OC and replace the mobo as soon as a fixed design comes out.

The easy answer is don't buy a X299 board yet, and the less easy answer if you already have one is don't OC and replace the mobo as soon as a fixed design comes out.
So reminiscent of the FX days. I'm certain the OEMs will address that issue with a more expensive motherboard recommended for the bigger CPUs. That'll leave all the $300 mobos for the i5 crowd. LOLTo me there are a lot of things about X299 that don't make sense dollars wise. I mean for the consumer the mobos just doubled in price. There's no "bargain" board any longer.I see what Intel was trying to do with the "unified" socket but I don't think it's going to be taken very well in the low end gaming crowd. Sure it's a "stepping stone" but as I have heard over and over about Ryzen, people just don't need that many cores. If they don't play catch up soon this might just drive more to the red team, totally backfiring Intel's "early" launch.

Yeah, a "stepping stone" to melted connectors and fried VRMs. Bumping up from an i5 on one of the lower cost ($300 HAHAHA!) boards to a 10 core will likely generate all manner of excitement inside the case. Should be used with big window cases. Don't want to miss the fireworks and the 4th is almost here!

when ryzen boards are messed up "oh they will fix it dont worry"
when intel is messed up "omg i cant believe intel would do such a thing!"

when ryzen boards are messed up "oh they will fix it dont worry"
when intel is messed up "omg i cant believe intel would do such a thing!"

Well, in all fairness, Intel used AMD's shortcomings to market their own stuff for years. They even invented false shortcomings about AMD. And, fanboys aside, the forums are full of people with a low opinion of the FX mobo fiasco. Including me and I owned one. Intel set their own bar where it is with success and hype, so it stands to reason they scrape their knee when they stumble.

I think the situation is more telling in regard to why Intel brought the package to market when they did. There seems to have been a bit more panic on Team Blue over AMD's current and upcoming chips than some folks wanted to admit.

Panic...lol. i definitely think they reacted to Ryzen, i hardly think it was in panic.

Isnt it cooler in many cases than open air? Typically, open air has little to no airflow while cases do... i mean of you can run bare vrm with just a fan pointed at it... the heatsink and minimal flow should be ok?

Last edited:
The X299 VRM situation seems to argue otherwise if you consider Intel's last ten years of complacent confidence about their hardware support. There have been a few issues (memory, etc.) but nothing major. I don't think they would have stepped in it quite so hard without some genu-wine "Oh $***!" happening at Intel HQ. Ryzen may gotten their attention but Threadripper seems to have rattled their cage. Hard.

I honestly dont think the power concerns on boards has anything to do with it. Everyone knew darn well what intels requirements were and built around that. The power issue would still be here if this released 2 months from now. It only argues that if you make it do so. I dont see hints of it considering.

Lol, i dont think threadripper got them out of their seats either. I really see intel still sitting back in their chairs, simply waving a hand and saying, move this up a couple of months... lower msrp a bit. Donezo.

Its not like these chips werent fabbed and ready to hit shelves. Final specs and parms were known for months... about the only thing left was to create stock.

The moving it up a couple months shortened the development time of the boards. Do you think nobody in that industry said "That's not enough time to do it right?" Obviously I can't speak as to their actual thoughts at Intel, but the decision to upend their marketing and product release schedule probably wasn't all that casual. If it was, Intel is in worse trouble than anything AMD can do to them.

Weird how i read that same thought totally different..:chair:

Yeah, not sure. Ill bet there wasnt as much time to test... that can certainly be problematic.

Back