• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Der8auer - x299 vrm disaster

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It has only been out for a couple weeks...no idea on return rates/failures this early.

Modern vrm are good to that hot, less and higher...it just depends on the actual vrm used and its rating, however.

That statement from intel, lol....

wait cant we just blame the mobo manufacturers not intel like some other boys? lol

In terms of motherboard development, 2 months can mean: a critical bug fix + board respin + BIOS development

If Intel had stuck to their original time line, they could have been made aware (or addressed the bug if already known) and forced these companies to respin their entire line up of X299 boards.

Furthermore, I wonder if there is enough space on the boards for more phases to help distribute the current pull with each phase. From the pictures it looks like these boards are really packed in there.

Actually almost the same issues had many users with Ryzen boards and somehow there are no complains anymore while boards have not changed at all. On some X299, overclocked 10 cores are causing issues ... when there is no additional airflow near vrm. We had the same in the previous generations of X ( not all motherboards of course ). When processors are not overclocked then there are no issues. If you keep them in a case with good airflow then there are no issues. If motherboard manufacturer put thermal pads and correctly designed heatsinks then there are no issues. I guess that people just like to complain even if they only read about something and don't even own the product. Pretty much the same as with Ryzen or Kaby at the beginning.

The only difference here ( but quite important ) is that he has 4 fans near mobo/vrm ... der8auer said that there are no issues when there is additional fan on the vrm heatsink and issues are when is no additional cooling for vrm. If I'm right then there is issue with contact of heatsink as there were comments about bad heat transfer between vrm and heatsink on other boards like gigabyte series.

One more X series on which Intel was saving. Each Intel X generation is not as good as it was planned. Every generation has some issues. Somehow barely anyone is talking about it. When AMD has issues while overclocking then whole internet is shouting.
X58 = vrm issues, most motherboards had problems under full load, MSI, ASRock and Biostar boards were simply dying ( don't read it as most popular OC boards which were actually good but were also redesigned after premiere )
X79 = design flaw, some controllers were disabled because of stability issues, delayed premiere because of stability issues
X99 = SAS controllers were disabled, PCIE lanes were reordered, delayed premiere because of stability issues
X299 = power delivery issue, premiere faster than expected but they could spend some more time to release fully tested product

In the same time all X series motherboards had issues with memory slots ... sooner or later memory was not visible or capacity issues were happening. I wonder if the same will be with X299 boards.
I know it'll be considered anecdotal, but I had two X99 setups with overclocked i7-5820s with zero issues. Both had cheap Gigabyte X99 boards, an X99-UD3 and an X99-UD4. No VRM issues, no memory slot issues (4 DIMMs populated), no stability issues, no issues at all.

Update from OC3D's TTL, who has been working with de8auer to understand what's going on. If you want to save 34 minutes, basically only Prime95 is capable of driving the original reported VRM report. Other stuff doesn't push the CPU nearly as hard.

Edit: ooops, didn't see de8auer's update video, going through that also now.

Last edited:
Back