• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DFI Lanprty NF4 UltraD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
Yesterday I got out an old timer, first time with a DFI board and the bios set-up and terms were a little different. I also found that my battery was dead. The settings from yesterday aren't there today all back to default. I took a couple of pics of the bios, one shows my cpu settings from yesterday but I took the ram page today and it was all auto. Acouple things that I noticed were the ram timing set-up page isn't in the usual order so I had to be careful which one I selected. The other thing I noticed was LDT which I assumed was the HT. The only problem was CPU-z wasn't registering the HT speed so I had to use some math. I'm posting this to see if there are any tips/tweaks that anyone can offer for this board. I have 4x512 mem sticks 2x OCZ 3200 and 2x Geil 4000. I had all 4 in thining that Win7 would run better with at least 2G of memory but had trouble tuning it so I pulled the OCZ out and it ran fine with just 1G. Here we go picture time.

WP_20160121_001.jpg
WP_20160121_002.jpg
WP_20160122_001.jpg

And some results at 2820 on a 4800X2

r11 1.42.JPG
r15 123.JPG

I loved the board, I remember there being a pencil trick to turn on SLI too!

I'm about to put a new battery in and see what I can do with the memory now that I have it sort of figured out.

Where's Rgone when you need him...... I see how the BIOS timings can throw you a curve ball. One thing I've seen on my Athlon chips not related to the DFI. The 3-4 I have all have Cold bugs and the newer they are the lower the Bug is. You're probably good with the sub ambient water with the 4800, doubtful you'll see any gains or even be able to run on anything cold as Dice/Ln2. My Athlon II 5200 bugs around -20c, 6000+ around -30c and my 240e is around -40c.

Thanks Manny but I knew most of these had cold allergies. Right now fighting no boots trying to wrap my head around DDR again. I thought this might coax him out.

I still have one of those though I've never been a memory tweaker so I can't help there. I have that, an sli dr expert and a 754 nf3 and a bunch of chips I need to mess with. I've always loved those boards

As a former DFI Street member and one of Rgone's sidekicks I can probably help you out. :)
Use your resources.
4 sticks is not what you want to bench on 939 let alone DFI. Very picky boards.
The right bios is the key, and there are about a billion of them.
Picky ram board. Need to use the right slots pending the type of IC's.
Battery NEEDS to be 3v, no less, and it'll suck batteries down like there's no tomorrow.
Ask specific questions and I'll do the best I can. For all the modded bios's, you know where to go. ;)

As a former DFI Street member and one of Rgone's sidekicks I can probably help you out. :)
Use your resources.
4 sticks is not what you want to bench on 939 let alone DFI. Very picky boards.
The right bios is the key, and there are about a billion of them.
Picky ram board. Need to use the right slots pending the type of IC's.
Battery NEEDS to be 3v, no less, and it'll suck batteries down like there's no tomorrow.
Ask specific questions and I'll do the best I can. For all the modded bios's, you know where to go. ;)
Haha wonder where that is? :p

Right now I'm using the OCZ 3200 2x512Mb @ 2-3-2-5 @ 225 2.7v according to the list should be samsung. Have them in the first and third slots. I'm aiming for about 250. Seems very picky when I change settings. Tried CL2.5 wouldn't boot. etc.. I've had the battery out at least 6 times so far.

Orange slots for those, and you may not get to 250 on those at those timings. 2.85v for best shot.
What bios?

6.00PG according to the CPUz shot above. Yeah 227 passed tried around 230 2.8v and no boot. I'd like to change some timings but it seems every time I do I end up with a no boot as well. Is there any way to save a profile on this board?

Yes, there is a way but don't use it. Saving profiles had a tendency to corrupt bios chips.
Try this bios. It's a good balanced overclocking bios that covers most types of ram. Once you get more proficient with how the board works, you can change to a more aggressive bios.

Attachments

• N4D623-1.zip
    392.9 KB · Views: 17
Does this have a utility or do I need to dig out my floppy.
One other thing how high would you go for volts on DDR with a fan on them?

EDIT: I also have this Geil Plat 4000 also seems to be samsung 2.5 -4-4-7 up to2.6- 2.95v it says in specs

AWDflash and your choice of media will work.
On the DDR, depends on the type of IC used. 2.8v is a good safe figure for all DDR. Some IC's like BH-5 won't go until you have 3.4v or better to them. I fan anything over 2.9v

I have the original CD here does it have the AWDflash utility on it. Last time I tried this on a different board I couldn't get any of them to work right. There are so many revisions

Looks like I may do that. I just tried the geil with the relaxed timings and did the exact same thing at 230 just no booty

Last edited:
Ahh the classic. I used to have one and an Expert one too. Those were some good 'ol days. I learned on those boards from DFI Street.

Looks like it is on the disc. Dug it out and threw it in here. There's also a manual which might be handy. But thanks Scotty I'll give this a shot in a minute. This more "aggressive" bios is that in the BIOS section at CP ?

Well the proof is in the pics. The new bios helped managed to get the GEIL over 250 but loose timings. The one place it really made a difference was in Catzilla. about 10% on the score. Thanks for your help Scotty, I appreciate it. I think I'm going to have to set this up in the garage. No heat out there and I'm using an FX8350 cooler on it ATM since I don't really have anything else that fits the stock AMD bracket. WB won't accommodate the 2 hole set-up either. So 2800 ish is about as far as I can go.

r11 1.41.JPG
r15 124.JPG

Back