• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

did this mistake fry my board and cpu??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

weissmertz

Registered
i was upgrading from a pentium d 925 3.0 oc to 3.75 to a pentium d 3.46 but i forgot to set my bios to the default settings on a gigabyte ga ep45 ud3l mb. so when i booted the pc it just kept restarting before the monitor would come on so i reinstalled the 3.0 and it did the sameting just a little different on how long it would take for fans to come on and stuff.tried it w/ out memory and video card no beepcodes .so i sent it back to gigabyte but didnt want to wait so i bought the same board and installed the 3.46 cpu did the samething.tried the 3.0 samething.my question is did the cpu fry the second board. and is the 3.0 going to be any good after putting it in a bad board.i can claify if need be:bang head

Always reset cmos when upgrading CPU's but no it should not have damaged anything

something happened.i think the mb fried the cpu from the oc settings then i think the cpu fried the next mb . i dont really know but could this happen.also should i trust the original cpu in a new board

Unless you did something extremely wrong I don't see how swapping cpu's would have killed either part.

i did both.you dont think by leaving the mobo settings for the 3.0 wich has 800 fsb overclocked to 3.75 then installing the 3.46 w/ a 1066 fsb would hurt anything ?

i did both.you dont think by leaving the mobo settings for the 3.0 wich has 800 fsb overclocked to 3.75 then installing the 3.46 w/ a 1066 fsb would hurt anything ?

No. It would just fail to boot, that's it. As the others stated: You must clear the cmos when swapping out chips. Another thing to remember is when swapping chips with a higher FSB, be sure the specs on the board will be able to support it.

Back