• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do you shut down or leave on 24/7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RJBrown

Hey guys I just built a new computer and I dont want to risk damaging it. I used to leave my old computer on 24/7 and just shut the monitor off when not using it. The computer was set up to go into hibernation mode after like 30 mins.

Anyways now that I have a good computer I dont want to risk damaging it. Is it ok to leave it on and put it in hibernation? Or should I shut it down when not using it?

Not sure if this was the right forum BUT I thought it might be cause it has to do with power.

Thanks!

I never liked power management.

I have left my computer on for the past 3 years no problems since. I'm pretty sure turning your computer on and off is worse than leaving it on all the time.

The machine in my sig is on 24/7.
18 to 20 out of every 24hrs is spent at 100% load regardless of ambient room temperature(which can reach 30deg).
I wouldn't worry about it unless you are ultra conservative on power consumption. For me, since my PC, modem and refrigerator are the only things running in the household for the majority of the day, it's not really an issue.

turning on and off is worse than 24/7?
i shut my PC down every night...unless i'm downloading updates or what not.
in between when i have dinner or somethiing, i put it in sleep mode.

my PC's just unbearable to sleep through. the PSU's like a vacuum cleaner.

I leave mine running 24/7 at 100% load on both the CPU and GPU. I am a member of our folding team, and the fastest way to get the work back to Stanford is to leave it running 24/7. The faster we can get our work units done, the closer to a cure for cancer we may be. Of course, if I remember correctly, it is better to have your CPU loaded 24/7 to keep the thermal cycles to a minimum, which I have heard will cause the most damage to your processor.

I hit that STANDBY button immediately as I leave to conserve energy and never use hibernation.
Shutdown once a week to clear the debris ready for updates.

If I remember correctly most hardware failures occur during startup so yes leaving it running 24/7 is better. I think some of it has to do with the very slight expanding and contracting of the pcb's and other parts due to the repeated heating and cooling of the parts when turned on and off. Just look at servers. Once you turn those things on you never turn them off. Of course there is always exceptions but I have seen servers run for years with only 1 or two reboots a year. But when you reboot the parts dont have time to cool anyway.

Well someone correct me if I'm wrong. It's on 4:34 AM here so my memory may be off.

^^ What he said :beer:
i dont really leave it on when i am sleeping...fire hazard i guess...

My work CAD station is on 24/7 and Fold on it at night. My personal PC I leave off when I am at work/night.

Yeah. I turned off my PC over night UNLESS I was downloading torrents - so I would leave it on overnight, but for the sake of cooling I turn it off and leave it off for at least 20 minutes until I turn it back on.

Is it ok to leave laptops on over night as long as I don't have obstructions near its vents? Or should I get a laptop cooler?

Yeah. I turned off my PC over night UNLESS I was downloading torrents - so I would leave it on overnight, but for the sake of cooling I turn it off and leave it off for at least 20 minutes until I turn it back on.

Is it ok to leave laptops on over night as long as I don't have obstructions near its vents? Or should I get a laptop cooler?

Laptops are more prone to heat than PC's. If you must leave it on, at least have a cooler under it or set it to sleep after a time.

At work I leave it running 24/7 but have C1E enabled. If not in use after 3 minutes I have my screens shut down...

My E4500 is oced to 2.75 GHz, when C1E kicks in, its @ 1500Mhz... 11 multiplier which drops down to 6... and is in this mode most of the day, unless I rip 1 or more DVDs at the same time.

When I'm using it I have CnQ on (which puts processor to 800 Mhz idle). When I'm not using it I turn off my monitor and put it on hibernate. I'm just trying to be as energy efficient (conservative) as possible.

Back