• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do you shut down or leave on 24/7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
see my fear is that if there is still current going through the cpu then its creating heat and if there is no water flow because the pumps are off then the cpu might fry its self or at least i think lol...

If this were the case my baby would have fried itself already. At resume my CPU seems like its at ambient, just like a cold start. S3 kills power to everything but RAM, where it stores your current state. From what I've read, even though your RAM is "hot", it uses about as much power as a single Xmas light.

I try to keep my on 24/7 for folding, but people in my house always turn it off, so I either turn it off or sleep mode it.

I run mine 24/7, 7 days a week for 52 weeks or 365 days a year! :D That is minus time for futzing and upgrades as well as routine maintenance. I run it like that because my motherboard has grown out of liking cold starts... And for some reason when I go into sleep mode from windows, when I resume, my oc' is no longer there. :screwy:

I run mine 24/7, 7 days a week for 52 weeks or 365 days a year! :D That is minus time for futzing and upgrades as well as routine maintenance. I run it like that because my motherboard has grown out of liking cold starts... And for some reason when I go into sleep mode from windows, when I resume, my oc' is no longer there. :screwy:

sounds like its unstable or your cmos battery is out

I have 5 computers at my home.

• My workstation is only turned on to play a few select games and to use photo shop. It is turned off when it is not used. This machine is probably turned on a total of four hours a week.
  • My laptop (Macbook) is either on or in sleep mode.
  • My server is only tured on during the hours of 17:00 and 24:00. I have WoL and a script setup to keep to this schedule.
  • My HTPC is only turned on when I want to watch movies or play SNES/NES games. Probably on 4-6 hours a week.
  • My embedded pfsense (firewall) box is on 24/7.

I always leave mine on during the day and at night i shut it down if I am not D/Ling Torrents or other files. I try not to waste electricity. It can add up considering most of us have high end machines that can idle close to 100-150 watts.

sounds like its unstable or your cmos battery is out

Oh no. This is much more complicated than that! It really depends on the board's mood. It is not so much cold starts as it is how bitchy the board is being on that day. I have no issues restarting from windows, but if I use the power/ reset buttons, every now and again it will give me issues.

i leave mine on all day every day... and when i go to sleep i put it in sleep mode i never liked hibernation

Me too. Don't really see the point of hibernation on a desktop. when I'm asleep so is my PC otherwise its always on. It oftem wakes me up when it turns itself on to record a TV program, lol

TBH, I've really enjoying S3 working the way it should. My monitors power down after 15-minutes, followed be my computer 45-minutes later. I hit the power button or spacebar, and *POOF*, I'm functional in about four seconds. :thup:

I used to leave things on 24/7 back when I lived in the dorms and didn't pay for my own utility bills.

Now that I live out in the real world, I've seen the impact on my monthly rates. I will occasionally leave my computer on for the day - notably if I'm running a temporary ftp server for myself/friends (on dynamic ip). But I definitely turn the power on my LCD off.

I don't subscribe to leaving it on 24/7 appreciably affecting the lifespan of your hardware. That's not to say repeated on/off might not expose faulty hardware that ought to be warrantied/replaced in a new rig - just a suggestion ;).

i have had mine set to sleep after 15mins for ages now. of a night i send it to sleep and switch off my modem, monitor and speakers.

i only switch off if i'm going out for the day or working.

does anyone know the power draw when its sleeping?

I strongly prefer to keep my computer on 24/7. Though when it gets really hot I'll sometimes turn it off at night to cut back on the heat output. I've been so happy with how well S3 sleep works with Windows 7 and my SSD that I might do that more often. I'll probably end up building a 2nd rig uses as little power and puts out as little heat as possible, and use that for all my 24/7 activities.

I have one rig that runs 24/7. It's for downloads, web browsing and other non-gaming stuff. It draws about a 100watts so I'm not worried about power use or heat.

My main rig gets shut down when I'm not using it, mainly just because of the heat.

About the only things that go bad because you leave them on continually are power supplies that are so cheap you should never have bought them, maxtor hard drives, and components you know you are overvolting too far. I overvolted an old p4 by 25% and it degraded noticeably over 6 months. I've hammered a gfx card until it couldn't even handle stock speeds anymore. But generally if your not overvolting too much, they will last until they are so outdated they are worthless anyway, even with 24/7 use.

Servers are on 24/7. Desktop(s) only on when I am using them.

No hardware problems with either setup, other than needing to clean out fans on the
24/7 boxes more often.

Holy thread resurrection! :edit: I thought this was an old thread, but it's just an old theme...still a viable question though and very relevant.
Back in the 20th century, I was listening to a conversation with the then president of Micron and when asked about how to make your computer last longer, he said "Never turn your computer off". This was straight from Micron, so I took it to heart and have always left mine on 24/7 and only shut down to blow away the dust bunnies, or if I need a restart for updates.

Here in Stockton, we are just off the delta and the peat dirt farms, so dust is a real problem here, but I just deal with it, and if my fans need cleaning more often, then so be it. That is one of the few times I turn off my box is to clean the dust out...so I just modify my cleaning schedule if I notice more dust than usual building up.

All the computers that I build for people have a cleaning schedule that I adhere to (in most cases twice a year unless I notice the USB ports being clogged) and in most cases I recommend they leave it on 24/7 but I always leave the option to the customer

Last edited:
Back