• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do you shut down or leave on 24/7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
When I'm using it I have CnQ on (which puts processor to 800 Mhz idle). When I'm not using it I turn off my monitor and put it on hibernate. I'm just trying to be as energy efficient (conservative) as possible.

Can't you just turn it off if you're not using it?

I run Seti via BOINC 24/7 on my CPU and GPU's. My computer only get shut down for general maintenance, And reboots for software updates that require a reboot.

I turn mine off at night, during the day it's usually on.
If i leave it on 24/7 i have to dust it out twice as often.

Beyond that you're not going to notice a difference in lifespan, unless you're turning it on for five minutes every ten minutes or something.

24/7, Folding@Home, 100% load all the time.

+1

Except with the caveat that if I play an intensive GPU game, I'll switch Folding@home off for a couple hours once or twice a week. My laptop however is set to go into standby when it's not being used, like others, I'm not a big fan of hibernation.

+1

Except with the caveat that if I play an intensive GPU game, I'll switch Folding@home off for a couple hours once or twice a week. My laptop however is set to go into standby when it's not being used, like others, I'm not a big fan of hibernation.

Wow, SSS, I never knew you were a folder. Mostly because I have never seen you in the Folding Forums. Post up in the folding sections and let us know what you what you are running on, if you have the chance. We would love to hear from you.

Back on topic, I never shut down my rig, unless I am in the middle of overclocking. Other than that, I only restart for important updates, but since I have been running Win7 RC1, the only updates I have noticed are Windows Defender updates that do not require a restart.

I agree its safer for electronics of many kinds to be on 24/7, but I foot the electric bill, so I turn my machine off religiously.

people in my family keep saying....turn my pc off when everyone is out...is it really a fire hazard?

i allways thought at the first sight of a fault, the power would be cut....and there would be nothing more than a whiff of smoke

people in my family keep saying....turn my pc off when everyone is out...is it really a fire hazard?

i allways thought at the first sight of a fault, the power would be cut....and there would be nothing more than a whiff of smoke

As long as you keep your computer in a case and away from flammable objects it's fine...

Laptop batteries and power adapters are more of a fire hazard than desktop PCs.

Unless I'm pressed for money, I leave mine 24/7

If you use the computer a lot, it's probably better to leave it 24/7 and just sleep the monitor. If you use it only 1 or 2 hours a day, shut it down when not needed.

As long as you have a good high quality PSU, there should be no chances of a fire hazard. Something like a Powmax or something like that, and your computer will always be a fire hazard, but something high quality like a Corsair, and several others, you should have nothing to worry about.

I have a work and a home computer. Both in my sig. I leave both on 24/7.
I have the monitors set to go off after three hours.
The hard drives and everything else stays on.
The socket A is almost four years old with no problems.

I never liked power management.

It's fine, when it works. :D

I have left my computer on for the past 3 years no problems since. I'm pretty sure turning your computer on and off is worse than leaving it on all the time.

Yeah, that's an oldy but a goody. It depends on how you look at it. Are modern FRU's as sensitive to current on-rush as they used to be? In my experience no where near. Does the constant wear-and-tear of being on represent it's own problems? You bet it does! ;)

I power my baby off when I'm away because I have to close the door due to pets, and leaving it powered turns my computer room into a furnace.

I use S3 sleep pretty regularly with my main rig, it only draws a few watts and starts up more or less instantly. I guess if you're living in the past with XP sleep modes can be quirky. The whole 'computers (or electronics in general) die at power on' is overblown imo. It mainly goes for cheap OEM stuff and may be a holdover from the days of questionable components and the bad cap era. Quality computer parts will outlive their useful life and quality electronics can last for a looong long time (looking at my 30-year old vintage amp and receiver.) My WHS box stays on 24/7 atm but I'm looking in to add-ins for power savings.

If you run F@H or whatever then obviously you want to leave it on 24/7. Otherwise the added electricity use and heat makes powering down more sensible. It kind of sickens me when I hear people say 'I don't pay for electricity so I don't care' - one person at my former workplace said he leaves the heat on and opens windows in the winter :screwy:

how exactly does s3 sleep work? iv always wanted to give it a go but since im watercooled im not to comfortable with my computer being partially on with out my pumps and fans being on....

k i'm trusting ppl here :p
i've started leaving the computer on more, seeing as i just changed my PSU's fan and it's silent now.

i used to standby it when i went to lunch, dinner, piano practice...etc
now i just leave it on.

my PC better not die lol.
and another reason i used to standby it, i have quite a few fans, and they build up dust way too quickly

how exactly does s3 sleep work? iv always wanted to give it a go but since im watercooled im not to comfortable with my computer being partially on with out my pumps and fans being on....

I don't know the specifics on S3 yet, but I gave it a try last night. Sleep worked perfectly. Even with my pumps and fans off my box came up with no problems, VERY quickly. I use a vandal switch and it was pulsing on and off before I turned things on. ;)

see my fear is that if there is still current going through the cpu then its creating heat and if there is no water flow because the pumps are off then the cpu might fry its self or at least i think lol...

Back