• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Duke Nukem Forever Engine Controversy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hmmm, well I guess if 3d realsm is denying the Doom 3 Engine, then I guess maybe their planning the Unreal 3 engine, which comes out in roughly 2 years, which then will take about a year to understand the engine enough and develope to release the game.

2007 anyone? It's coming!!! hold your breath!!!

Last edited:
honestly why don't they develop a new engine for the game.

it sounds like they do want to blow everyone away with the games graphics so whenever a new revolutionary engine comes out they have to redo the game to use that engine...

problem is that if they keep redoing the engine then the game will never be released.

thus they need to make a new engine just for this game that would have the power of say unreal 3 but they know how to work a game out of it immediatly rather than waiting a year and then having a new engine come out which they feel they need to make the game out of

9mmCensor said:
So is HL2, but we aren't going to forget it either.

And that says nothing about a Unreal engine.

and this was already discussed here
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=328037

HAHAHA. Your comparing a game like HL2, with Duke Nukem Whenever, which was announced in 1997, and we haven't heard a pep about it, or seen aynthing, and we've seen **** loads of HL2.

Not to mention HL2 will be a class game.

Nukem if it ever gets released will most likely be another Doom 3, aka tech demo.

HL2 is a different story. It IS coming out, we just don't know when. I'll believe this game is coming out when I see it.

I guess none of you guys saw the other thread posted about this earlier. They are in fact writing an entirely new engine. No more Quake II, no more Unreal, it's a proprietary engine now. This was mentioned by George Broussard on the Shacknews forums back in May and posted again in the thread about this exact same subject from two days ago.

Yeah, I remember when that trailer came out Duke Nukem: the manhatten project. I saw that trailer and was like holy crap!!! Looks so real and the gameply looks insane!! Serisouyl form what that traielr showed, that game looked like it was gonna be damn good. Coulda maybe even blown Half-Life outta the water at the time. Gameplay still looks excellent, but graphics look definitely outdated. Seriosuly though, how long does it take to just port the game into another engine and tweak (if the gameplay and such was already done)

Watch this be some twisted joke by 3DRealms, saying that they only made those scenes and nothing else just to PUNK everyone.

Duke Nukem the first and best shoot em up to mix hillarious one liners, hot chicks, and make cops out to be pigs. Yeah it maybe a joke but its meant for people that like games that aren't always trying to scare you.

Grov said:
HAHAHA. Your comparing a game like HL2, with Duke Nukem Whenever, which was announced in 1997, and we haven't heard a pep about it, or seen aynthing, and we've seen **** loads of HL2.

Nukem if it ever gets released will most likely be another Doom 3, aka tech demo.

duke nukem was the absolute **** when it first came out, one of the founding fathers of fps's...

well i guess you where probally still pissing your bed when that happend so i guess you wouldent know.

Grov said:

Yeah I'm comparing DN4 to HL2, because they are both going to be good games, and both of them should already be out. So what if its was announced in 1997. Valve has been working on HL2 for a damn long time as well. Maybe over exporser in marketing isn't always great. But the fact that you've seen lots of screenshots and clips doesn't make it great.

You haven't played HL2, so how do you know it will be a "class game", I dont have much faith in idiots who dont secure their networks.

Nukem isn't a tech demo. If you've played DK3D you'll know its about fun, and attitude, and Doom3 is a tech demo as much as Quake 2 was.

Drec said:
duke nukem was the absolute **** when it first came out, one of the founding fathers of fps's...

well i guess you where probally still pissing your bed when that happend so i guess you wouldent know.

Not disagreeing.

Just saying HL2 is actually a game were going to see, before we all get grey hair.

its ridiculous...

its been so frieking long, thing is, they probably have a couple of programers on the project if that. Well if i was a 3drealms employ i would have left at about 2002:p

Back