• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E6420 + DDR2 800 = 1:1 OC'ing ? (OC n00b!)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Morvak

Disabled
Hey all! Gonna copy and paste this from my other threads:

The more I read the more I learn that the E6420 can reach higher FSB and OC easier than the E6600 and possibly the E6850. Am i right or am i right? ;-)

I'm totally new to all this OC stuff.

I'm looking to build a reasonably priced gaming rig that doesn't need extreme cooling and isn't more than $1500. I won't be running SLI. I'm not worried about upgrading to Penryn and DDR3 anytime soon so I don't need P35. When I go to get a Penryn I'll upgrade my board to the latest revision of the X38 or who knows what and DDR3 then. Not worried about building for the future.

I'd like this machine to last me 1-2 years with decent framerate gaming with my GTS 8800 640 until 2 years or so when I upgrade to same-price G90 or so.

- E6420
- GTS 8800 640k
- 150 raptor ..or.. two 7200.10 80gb Seagates Raid 0
- P182
- Corsair 520HX
- Thermalright 120 extreme (do I need this if clocking to 3ghz or 3.2?)
- mb? not sure yet.. but something that will work perfectly for what i'm looking to do - I guess 965P or DS3

Now my memory:

- Crucial Ballistix 2x1gb 800

All I wanna do is increase my FSB so that I don't have to do 4:3 ratios or whatever or mess with memory timings too much.

I still can't wrap my brain around the math behind OC'ing. :bang head

I do plan to run Vista on this machine too.

Is this memory perfect for my needs?

If you get pc6400 (800) and e6420, set memory to cpu 1:1 ratio, then you won't have problem increasing cpu fsb upto 400 for effetive oc of 3.2ghz. At this point memory will run at stock speed. If you wish to go higher, in 1:1 ratio, it will depend on memory oc ability.

3.2 sounds good to me for beginning my OC adventures.

Does this mean the memory will run with the 4-4-4-12 timings is this what you mean by stock speed?

The memory has 2.2v. Is this Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800 memory decent for my OC purposes? Which is achieveing 3ghz/3.2.

Morvak said:
3.2 sounds good to me for beginning my OC adventures.

Does this mean the memory will run with the 4-4-4-12 timings is this what you mean by stock speed?

[/qoute]
By stock I mean speed and timings. PC6400 runs at 800mhz, so when cpu fsb is at 400 and memory is set to 1:1 ratio it will run at speed of pc6400.

[qoute]
The memory has 2.2v. Is this Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800 memory decent for my OC purposes? Which is achieveing 3ghz/3.2.
I used to own ballistix pc6400, I ran mine with less voltage and they did overclock well.

Last edited:
Well my E6400 and E6420 both did 3.2ghz with my Thermaltake TMG i1.But any higher temps started going over 60c loaded.But still not bad,My Ultra Extreme 120 hasn't seen the high side of of 50c yet.

And those Crucials are great but they will default to 5-5-5-15 if you dont set them to 4-4-4-12.At least that what they did on this board

This is what I have and I think they're perfect for what you need.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231114
They'll give you more than enough oc'ing ability with great timings and without extra voltage. Mine do 475mhz stock volts\timings which is enough to put your E6420 at 3800mhz if it'll go that high. Theres memory that will go higher in mhz but you have to put too much voltage into it to be reliable in my opinion. Theres really no need in your situation.

I see more and more people with the G.skill so I will go with that instead, thanks for the info!

gigabit said:
Well my E6400 and E6420 both did 3.2ghz with my Thermaltake TMG i1.But any higher temps started going over 60c loaded.But still not bad,My Ultra Extreme 120 hasn't seen the high side of of 50c yet.

And those Crucials are great but they will default to 5-5-5-15 if you dont set them to 4-4-4-12.At least that what they did on this board
My board did the same thing

||Console|| said:
My board did the same thing
I dont have Crucail ram .I wish i did but i built a rig for a guy and he had those Crucails DDR2 800's and i tried them on my board and they did the same thing(defaulted to5-5-5-15) on his DS3 and his DFI 965-S also.But they are great modules.

Back