• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

e8400 OC ideas needed (asus p5n-d mb)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jkicak

so, i'm looking to start with just a modest OC to 3.6.

i started with all volts at AUTO settings, linked FSB, set mem ratio to sync mode and changed FSB QDR to 1600 (changed FSB to 400mhz x 9)

when i save settings and reboot i get the post beep but it will not display the post screen. i then turned off the power and let it sit for a few secs then turned her back on... she then boots up to a post error that says it failed to post last time and that i should change settings back to default. i just told it to continue on the error (at that point the post screen said it was at 3.6) but when i get in to windows it states that it is still running at stock 3.0 speeds.

i then rebooted, went back to default bios settings and changed volts in the followng ranges but had the same results as the first time:

vcore: 1.275 up to around 1.3125
rest left at auto

i am not sure that it is a voltage issue since it will not even post correctly but i'm willing to take the HT, NB and SB off auto and put them in the 1.28-1.4 range to see if that helps....

anybody have any guess as to why it will not even post correctly at 9x400???

(using OCZ ReaperX HPC ram)

Leave everything at STOCK (not auto, it's not the same) and start your testing. Auto is some programmer's estimation of voltage vs overclock, and it's rarely accurate -- you'll end up sending more voltage to parts that don't need it, which will cause it's own instability problems.

Once you find the limits without auto, let us know where it stops and we'll be able to help you more. Sometimes CPU voltage needs a small bump, sometimes northbridge needs a small bump, sometimes southbridge needs a small bump... RARELY do all three need the same bump at the same time, which is why AUTO is bad.

one of the issues with my mb is that it's "stock" setting is AUTO so i have no idea what to start with. anyway, i just got home from work and set the HT and NB to 1.4v and i was able to post! i'm in windows @3.6 so i guess that is what i needed to change.

i can now begin to test...

thanks for the input!

Last edited:
ok, my system locked up running prime95... i bumped up the vcore to 1.3125 and i'll see if that will fix the lockup

i was able to make it through 3dmark06 though and i jumped from 14500 to 16449 which is nice :)

forget this modest oc malarky. 4ghz is a modest oc for that chip.

i have all the little cpu features turned off (eist, bit execute, etc). This helps a lot!
I have everything manually entered in the bios outside of mch boot strap. its 400mhz I know, i chose the modifier, but everything else is manual and is very low.

Also I have superfetch, readyboost, and windows search off. They drive cpus crazy and wil crash if you have a bad flashdrive or something. just turn them off. With a 4ghz processor you won't notice a difference.

here's a screeny of what I need to run stably at 4.ghz and its actually dropping. use it as a guide for what you want to do. btw I have the same chip and ram as you.

My stock settings
http://img29.picoodle.com/img/img29/3/11/10/f_defm_c1df70c.jpg

My current settings
http://img29.picoodle.com/img/img29/3/11/10/f_Capturem_245b657.jpg

Bios setting for vcore is 1.4875
Idle vcore is 1.44
Load is 1.408-1.424 (it fluxes)

temps are under 60 for a long prime run and idle is usually 29-32. Quite modest indeed and I'm working on dropping the cpu vtt even more and the cpu vcore even more.

Back