• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Early impressions of ASrock A780FullHD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

This week I just replaced my Gigabyte MA78G-DS3H with an ASRock A780FullHD. Mostly positive impressions so far:
1. The ASRock solved the instability problem I was having when running the Gigabyte in dual channel mode.
3. The ASRock is a solidly-constructed micro ATX board that is well-laid out. Even though it has four ram slots the ones closest to the CPU are far enough away from the processor socket so as to accommodate most memory modules even with a huge heat pipe tower cpu cooler. Only those memory modules with the super sized heat sinks should present a problem. This mobo doesn't have fire wire but that board space seems to have been used for extra usb 2.0 ports (six in all). I was skeptical about the 24 pin power plug hooking up between the cpu and the I/0 back edge but it seems not to be a problem and reduces the usual crowding in the memory socket/IDE connector area. One observation that is important is that this board is unusually deep from back to front. I had to remove my 3.5" drive bay inner tower and relocate the HD to the bottom of the case because it interfered with the outer memory socket.
4. The ASRock board seems to be very stable when over clocked and THE BEST THING about it is it gives me full load CPU and core temps 10 DEGREES C COOLER than the Gigabyte board did. Or maybe I should say it probably reports the temps more accurately.
5. The included over clocking software utility actually works well and is certainly more straight forward than the bios (see next item).
6. The only major criticism I have of this board is the AMI bios. Oh, it seems to have plenty of over clocking options for the intermediate level over clocker like myself but it is not nearly as user friendly and intuitive as the Award bioses generally are and the atypical terminology used often obscures the features that are there. On the other hand, this bios has an up side and that is it allows much finer adjustments in voltage increments than did the Gigabyte's Award bios.
7. The minor criticism I have is the owner's manual. It's practically worthless.

Bear in mind also that ASRock gives RMAs only to its retail customers, not end users. So if you buy one of their boards, don't delay in installing it and checking it out thoroughly in case you only have a limited return time policy from the place of purchase, say 30 days, for instance, with NewEgg.

In conclusion, I would give this board a 4 out of 5 at this point.

Last edited:
Back