• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ebay ripoffs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
So I just purchased a 960T on ebay last week. I paid right after the auction ended, and I received the product packaged well. I plug the CPU in, and the system doesn't POST. I plugin another CPU, and the system posts immediately, so I plug the ebay CPU in again, once again no POST.

So this guy sent me a dead CPU, I'm left floating $110 (inc shipping) until the seller sorts it out, or if necessary until ebay intervenes on my behalf. It was covered by buyer protection, so I'm hopeful that I don't just end up screwed over.

Just a pain in the neck, and an example of why I've always expressed reservations about dealing on ebay. This stuff happens way less in our classifieds, and the hassle makes me hate going to ebay for fear of it happening, but for items like this they are hard to get anywhere else.

I just let the seller know, so I'm waiting to hear back. Hopefully he's cooperative but I'm feeling pessimistic. Seller has 113 rating, all positive feedback in the last 12 months, and has sold 5 items on ebay previously according to his feedback.

How long does one wait to hear back from a seller before contacting ebay for a resolution? I see you have to wait 7-10 days for Ebay to resolve an issue.

Last edited:
If you paid through Paypal, contact them immediately, they'll ask you the standard questions including if you contacted the seller. Usually it takes about a week. I've had 2 different issues regarding Ebay and both were resolved in my favor. PS. you probably shouldn't tell them that you tried posting it at -5000 deg with some super outer world liquid on it so you could try and clock it to 25000mhz. :p

Ya I installed it with the stock heatsink, I have a few of them just sitting next to my workbench, so it was a quick way to test. (I've sold used chips, and its cheaper to send them without the HSF, my buyers were from here and didn't want the stock units)

Seller has already replied to me, so he is responsive which is nice. Hopefully it will all work out fine. Just a hassle to me and is annoying.

His replies so far:
1. Reset CMOS
2. Update BIOS

I have tested with an identical CPU model (960T), so I know a BIOS update is not required. I always clear CMOS before installing a new CPU. I've also already swapped in my other CPU, to confirm the system is trying to boot at all default settings.

Should I contact Paypal now? I did pay through them, but the ebay buyer protection page says to contact the seller and seek resolution first, then involve Ebay.

Cool, that's what I'm going to try. I'd just like a quick resolution really... I'm worried about being strung along for a week, then when I contact ebay/paypal being strung along for another week, then by the time this is all said and done I've wasted a bunch of messages, a couple phone calls, and a month has past.

If you watch the new toys thread... You can see that one of my Ebay purchases has just gone wrong also...

Although... I TRULY believe this was a customs issue.

I have no clue what I'm gonna do yet...

Contacted Seller and waiting to hear back from him.

Sorry to hear that, hopefully yours goes alright as well. I feel bad because the guy appears to think he sent a working CPU, but there's nothing I can do other than plug it in... Fortunately I have everything here to confirm its a bad CPU. Really not any better way to test than to insert 2 CPUs that are exactly the same... If one works and one doesn't, there isn't much else to do about it.

These things happen though. I sold a Revodrive X2 to cw823 on here and it was in good working order last time I used it, but it never worked for him, and it didn't work for me when I got it back. I refunded and he returned it, and that was that. It was super easy because it was someone I knew, so it was no questions asked - just here's your refund. But it was still a pain in the neck for him, and I felt like I lost a hundred bucks or whatever (I didn't really, but I thought I had something that had value)

By the way, I took pictures of the box as it was received, and every step of unboxing... Everything was in perfect physical condition and it was a good packaging job, so the pictures didn't end up being necessary. But one of the classifieds mods here once suggested to others to do that, just in case something arrives physically damaged, because it makes the resolution process so much more straightforward. Stuff like that is good advice when buying or trading online, unfortunately dealing with strangers is inherently more complicated, but its easier to try to prevent any potential problems than it is to resolve any kind of problem.

Do be aware that (as of last time I looked / dealt with this) you only have 30 days from the payment date to file with paypal.
Standard practice is to string you along until it's too late.
If he doesn't cough up a working 960t or your money within a few days, I'd file.

Do be aware that (as of last time I looked / dealt with this) you only have 30 days from the payment date to file with paypal.
If he doesn't cough up a working 960t or your money within a few days, I'd file.

That's exactly what I was afraid of - being strung along until its outside the protection dates.

He has accused me of killing the CPU at this point, so I'm replying making it clear that I haven't hid my identity at any point (my ebay ID is imogocf) and that I'm a reputable public figure, and not trying to screw him over. I just don't like being out the time and trouble - if the CPU worked, I'd be in the garage running it right now, as Kim's at work until morning. Not like I have all sorts of spare time these days - hell, I have only benchmarked 2 days in the past 2 months.

Looks like this one is heading to ebay mitigation. :-/

That sucks but he should of added insurance I bet that's why his mad cuz he didn't add any XD

That's why I don't sell on eBay just buy and buy from ppl with good rating

Last edited:
Some random guy tells one of the most distinguished overclockers (That I know of) that he did something wrong BEFORE actually over-clocking?

I'd definitely head to paypal resolution - Worst case - he'll hurry up and refund/replace.

That sucks but he should of added insurance I bet that's why his mad cuz he didn't add any XD

That's why I don't sell on eBay just buy and buy from ppl with good rating

That's why I only buy expensive items here:attn:

The only PC parts I've bought form ebay are $5 939 processors.

Matt I'm starting to think the OC gods don't want you to use a 960T

That's exactly what I was afraid of - being strung along until its outside the protection dates.

He has accused me of killing the CPU at this point, so I'm replying making it clear that I haven't hid my identity at any point (my ebay ID is imogocf) and that I'm a reputable public figure, and not trying to screw him over. I just don't like being out the time and trouble - if the CPU worked, I'd be in the garage running it right now, as Kim's at work until morning. Not like I have all sorts of spare time these days - hell, I have only benchmarked 2 days in the past 2 months.

Looks like this one is heading to ebay mitigation. :-/

IMOG,

I agree with Bobnova. "Nice guys finish last on Ebay." File now so it's on record!

It actually has worked out. I've got a refund already, and I'm putting it in the mail for return today. Seems like it was an honest mistake.

I am paying for return shipping which seems fair.

It actually has worked out. I've got a refund already, and I'm putting it in the mail for return today. Seems like it was an honest mistake.

I am paying for return shipping which seems fair.

IMOG,

There ARE many honest sellers on Ebay but like in boxing, "Protect yourself at all times" is a good policy for the one who isn't honest.

Glad you got it resolved. For me when there is a issue with a sale on ebay I contact the other party and give them 72 hours to resolve it. If they don't, I get ebay/paypal involved.

first thing i do if something is wrong with a e-bay purchase is file on pay pal.

then there is a record and the seller gets like 2 weeks to deal with the problem with you.

if problem isn't solved you escalate it and pay pal intervenes.

Back