• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ECS P4M800Pro-M Random Restarts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yugami

Hi there. When my motherboard suddenly stopped working in my old computer (I tested everything else, including the cpu) I decided to purchase a new motherboard. I was due for an update anyways, the old CPU was only an Athlon 2100+. I decided to purchase a combo deal from Fry's which included an ECS P4M800Pro-M motherboard with a Pentium D 940 processor. I knew from online reviews that the motherboard was pretty much junk, but the deal was worth it just for the processor.

I put together my new computer using the same parts as my old computer with my new motherboard and processor. The only problem I had was a checksum error because I had two of the same sticks of ram in the motherboard, while in reviews and in the manual it says you have to have different kinds of ram in order for the computer to boot. After I traded one stick so I had two different kinds (totalling 1 gig) I was successfully able to install a new instance of Windows XP SP1 on my hard drive without reformatting (I tried using the old Windows installation but it would not boot, I'm assuming due to massive hardware changes).

After installing all drivers needed for my system, the computer has been running perfectly besides for one thing: I get random restarts, mostly when playing games.

My system includes the Motherboard/processor previously mentioned: ECS P4M800Pro-M/Pentium D 940, a Radeon 9600 Pro, an Enermax 330 W PSU, 512 mb Kingston memory (another stick of Corsair 512 mb that causes no changes when put in as well).

I have tried several things including using a different video card (Radeon 8500), purchasing and testing an Antec 500W Smartpower 2.0 PSU (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103937), several memory combinations and several different video card drivers. I have made sure that automatic restart on system failure is turned off, but I haven't seen a blue screen (the computer just straight restarts). My temperature levels are quite low and should not be an issue. All parts that I am using had once worked perfectly well before my previous motherboard failed, and all parts that I have used to test have also worked perfectly well.

I have done some searching and cannot find problems similar to mine with the ECS P4M800Pro-M. I had always been aware that the motherboard is not quality and prepared to purchase a new one, because the processor was cheaper in the combo even if it was by itself. However, I was hoping that the motherboard would work alright for me and that I wouldn't need to purchase a new one. I have tested everything I can think of, but I am stilll unsure whether the problem is definately the motherboard or not. If you think that the motherboard is DEFINATELY the issue, then I guess that will be what I replace.

Thanks for your advice, it is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi,
where did you get the review on the motherboard?
I am looking for a motherboard for a D 805 and was considering that board but if it's really a junk board I will need to eliminate it from my list. Any chance it is a heat issue?

DataCom

Have you checked the system log in Event Viewer? Maybe that will shed some light on what is causing the reboots.

I've had only one problem with mine - the onboard NIC died. That happened shortly after I started messing with the overclocking options in the bios. Otherwise it has been a rock solid stable machine paired with a 930 and cheapo DDR value ram.

I got mine at Frys too :p It was too good of a deal to pass up at the time, and I see Frys is now offering these boards (once again essentially for free) with Core2Duos...so it looks like it has some upgradability in it too.

Hey benbaked, I tried the OC as well and lost the NIC. I cleared the CMOS and got up and running again. I also had the drive corruption you had mentioned in another thread with another attempt. I ghosted my drive and I am willing to try the overclock again but I am scared as hell to do so with this board unless somebody gives me some specific settings to try. I ghosted C: but I am worried about it taking out my MBR or corrupting another partition. Overall, I am pretty happy with the cheap upgrade of $179 going from an A64 3000+ to this board and processor rather than shelling out much more to stay AMD and get the same performance with a FX-60. Not happy about being over on the Intel dark side again after 5 years but the performance boost can't be contested. I also boosted my 3dmark 2006 from 3000 to 3800 with the same AGP card (7800 GS). I just miss the overclockability of AMD systems.

Let me know if anyone else has overclocked this board and processor and what settings you have used.

Attachments

• E6300.jpg
    E6300.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 1,747
You may be under powered 330 watts psu is kind of weak for a dual core pentium. If you have it overclocked any your pushing it and this could be why your getting restarts. If you have another psu you could use to swap out and try, you want to have a power supply at least 420 watts quality.

Back