• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Error Beep. Please Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

googalabosh

It looks as if I may have a operating system issue. I want to fix it but I have a problem. I restarted my computer and now it wont load anything. I turn it on and all it does is constantly beep. Nothing else happens. Does anyone know what might be happening and how to fix it?

the beeping is an error message. You should listen to it closely, is it just constant quick beeps is it one quick one and then long ones? You then need to look up what that code is for your board. If you still have the manual it should list them there. Was the system overclocked or did you try to overclock it. You could try resetting the cmos or pulling the battery out with the power supply unplugged for a minute. Edit I just found this.

Attachments

• Capture3.PNG
    Capture3.PNG
    32.5 KB · Views: 147
Awesome. I'm at work right now. I will check this afternoon and post back on here the results. By the looks of the chart you sent me it might be telling me something about the graphics card which might just mean the graphics card is having some issues.

4 LONG BEEPS

Ok so I called my wife and here is what I got now. It is beeping continuous long beeps. Well kinda continuous. 4 long beeps, a space, 4 long beeps, a space, etc. According to the chart above that means it should be a graphics card issue. Here's funny thing. I have tried that. Could this just mean the graphics card might be dying or dead?

Could this just mean the graphics card might be dying or dead? Sounds like it is possible, Can you test the GPU on a known working system or do you have another working gpu you could test on that system?

I do not have another GPU or another computer to test this GPU in. I am going to play with it a little later today and see if I can get it to work. It is a cheap GPU.

Awesome point. I dont know if I would have thought about that. I make sure I try that too. Thank you. If you think of anything else I can try please let me know. I will try any and all suggestions before reposting back to this. Don't really have the money right now to be buying a new GPU so I will try anything.

When you go home check the silly things first, power connections try reseating the gpu etc. Have you tried anything different of late, new programs, overclocking, drivers, windows updates etc ? Try resetting the cmos or pulling the power cord and then the battery for a minute. You could also try replacing the battery it's a long shot but for a couple of bucks it may be worth it.

I havn't really done anything different. I have been having some Op System issues. But its been that way for a few months now. This just started reciently.

So I consider myself a novice still when it comes to computers. So just to make sure I understand what I am doing:

Step 1: Reset GPU
1) Move GPU from pci-e slot
2) Insert GPU in new pci-e slot

Turn on computer

Step 2: Reset CMOS
1) Take out battery
2) Wait a few seconds and either put battery back in or replace with new battery

Turn on computer

Am I on the right track?

UPDATE

So I sent my wife the following instructions and prayed that she wouldn't do anything wrong:
Steps:

1) Make sure the computer is turned off. Unplug the power cord (power cord ONLY) from the back of the computer.

2) Take out the two (2) screws on the back of the panel with the window (if looking at the front of the computer this would be the left panel) (make sure you dont loose these screws)

3) Take the panel off by sliding it toward the rear of the computer.

4) Look at the picture attached to this e-mail. The yellow box is showing you the graphics card. This card is what supplies the signal to the monitor.

5) Touching ONLY the black rectangular box on the top of the card, grab it and lightly push it toward the motherboard.

6) Wiggle the card lightly and no more than 5 times.

7) Push the card lightly again towards the motherboard.

8) Put the panel back on the computer by sliding it the opposite way you did to take the panel off

9) Screw in the 2 screws into the back of the panel. Use your fingers and DO NOT force them in. If you can not get them back in leave them on my desk and I will put them in when I get home.

10) Turn on the computer.

11) If it turns on again Great!

With this e-mail I attached the picture below.

Turns out that worked. Now that I know there is an issue with the graphics card (that is fixable) I can move on to see if I can fix the OS problem now. From one problem to the next. Someday I might just have my computer working smoothly again.

Attachments

• untitled.png
    untitled.png
    387.5 KB · Views: 161
Back