• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Every One Must Read = Shuttle AK31

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm going to move over to the AMD cpu forum with this before we get a moderator upset with us. I have spent the last (god knows how many) hours acquiring data to support your stance and I will put it there under Where is my 1.4.:)

Re: RMA

debovenk2002 said:
Since it has been about 1 1/2 months since I bought the Shuttle the place it bought if from does not give RMA's for some thing that old

I ordered my Shuttle AK11 from TigerDirect and they offer 90 day replacement warranty on their boards.

wild_andy_c said:
At least someone appreciates me around here - how you doin' brother - it's been ages since I seen that name and avatar !

Greetings !

Hey there Andy of course i appreciate you in here. I like to read about your info and your knowlege you are what I and many call a Grand Master overclocker any new information from you is helpful to me you have helped me in the past from reading your post now i am a Master overclocker :) i too will be a Grand master someday. And as far as where i have been i have been here still just haven't had anything to post lately because i need a new board i have been waiting for the Shuttle Ak35 gtr or 8kha2. Which would you choose i have really been impatient and was almost gonna get the 8Kha+ what is your oppinion ??

TRANCER24 said:

Hey there Andy of course i appreciate you in here. I like to read about your info and your knowlege you are what I and many call a Grand Master overclocker any new information from you is helpful to me you have helped me in the past from reading your post now i am a Master overclocker :) i too will be a Grand master someday. And as far as where i have been i have been here still just haven't had anything to post lately because i need a new board i have been waiting for the Shuttle Ak35 gtr or 8kha2. Which would you choose i have really been impatient and was almost gonna get the 8Kha+ what is your oppinion ??

I heard EPoX are waiting for KT333 before bringing out another VIA based Socket A RAID board.

The board I want is the SiS 745 based EPoX board that's due - the 8S7A - looks like an overclocking animal. I'm not sure whether they'll implement the IEEE1394 Firewire on there that's supported by the chipset but I sure do hope so (provided my landlord doesn't hijack my PC for his digi-cam-corder).

Other than that I built a P4 DDR system based on the SiS 645 last week because the board was so cheap (£85 as opposed to £125 for i845 PC133) and I was totally amazed by the performance - it basically matches i845D and i850 !!

I have had no problem with any of the rev 2 or rev 3 boards,and I have had alot of them.I have a 300 wat generic power supply and it does fine on both my systems ,on this system with the 3,1 board I have 2 deltas ,2 case fans,a slot fan,a 12x cdr,a 12x dvd,a 5400 rpm ata 100 drive,a 7200 rpm ata 100 drive ,2 nics,a geforce 3 ti200,and a video input card.I still think its awesome and will have the gtr in a few days and I cant wait.My boards all have had a 1 year warranty,if your supplier doesnt give you this then I wouldnt buy a mb off of them.

wildone

Refurb

Well Newegg was selling refurb AK31a on there site today for 59$ and free shipping. Reviews on other refurb motherboards say they're as good as new. I hope this is true in my case.

nihili said:
Out of curiousity have you called the vendor and talked to them? Or perhaps even Shuttle? The board should have a manufacturers warranty even now. Many places will give you a break on the return period around Christmas. It's probably at least worth a call. The worst they can do is tell you no.

nihili

Got the new board in todya. They did exchange it for a new one. Will play with it and see if I can't get it up. Thank you again.:D

Good thread....;)

I'm putting together a rig using the AK31 v3.1 later this week...might just as well replace that Northbridge fan now, before I go and mount the mobo...

Might just pull that thing around the AGP slot off too, for good measure, if there's a chance it'll keep the card from seating properly...

Thanks for the tips, guys! :)

Mr B said:
Good thread....;)

I'm putting together a rig using the AK31 v3.1 later this week...might just as well replace that Northbridge fan now, before I go and mount the mobo...

Might just pull that thing around the AGP slot off too, for good measure, if there's a chance it'll keep the card from seating properly...

Thanks for the tips, guys! :)

I'd do the fan replacement for sure. Personally, I'd wait on pulling of the thing around the AGP. Once you know about it, it's very easy to make sure that the card is seated. But the point of the thing is to keep the card from unseating if the cord gets bumped. I say less risky to leave it in.

nihili

nihili said:

I'd do the fan replacement for sure. Personally, I'd wait on pulling of the thing around the AGP. Once you know about it, it's very easy to make sure that the card is seated. But the point of the thing is to keep the card from unseating if the cord gets bumped. I say less risky to leave it in.

nihili

Yeah I agree. I replaced my chipset fan after only 3 weeks of using the mobo, it started to make awful sounds. I never had problems with the AGP holder. I also never run into the cold boot issues anymore. I think one of the BIOS updates fixed that.

your northbridge DID NOT FRY, that is not possible wiht the power going through it.

I have a Epox 8hka and run a high FSb and my crappy fan gave out along time ago. I have ran without ANY fan on the northbridge for like 3 months. And never had any probs. Something else happened to your box, the NB was just a coincidence.

wild_andy_c said:
A thunderbird would need to run at approximatley 1975Mhz to acheive that score.

looking back at your posts, i know you know alot but i think you are 110% wrong.

using the chart u posted, it says XP1500@1333 is only matched by a tbird 1500 correct.

that is wrong, i have a 1333tbird, and it performs the SAME as a Xp1500, there was less then a 20 point difference in sisiandra cpu bench.

The Xp has more instructions not more more clocks per cycle, the PR rating is just to battle the intel mhz race. A Xp1500(1333) is HARDLY FASTER then a tbird 1333. I have benhced then in the same box side by side, tehy score basically the same, and that SiSandra bench posted, it was an Xp chip correct scoring in the 4500 range, and the PR is 1975, and u say that is whwat a tbird would have to run at to get that score - i got pics to prove that wrong. My tbird at 1575 i get 4460, and at 10x160=1600 i get a score above 4500. I CAN POST PICS< WHNE I GET HOME. What i think u mean (or forgot)that PR rating is not wat a TBIRD has to run at to achieve the same score, its what an INTEL has to run at to get that score

PR rating for XP's are NOT the Tbird equivalent, it is the INTEL equivelent, so its an INTEL chip that has to run at 1975 mhz to get that same score as an XP did. Will someome back me up with this by posting pics, i can t yet as im at work.

i promise you any tbird running at the same speed ( actual speed) as an XP will get less then a 100pt difference. A tbird at 1975 mhz would get almost 4700 if not more

Last edited:
Alex99 said:
My AthlonXP 1700+ @ 1650 Mhz has a Sandra PR of 2414 Mhz

see this proves it my Tbird at 1575 mhz has a sandra PR of like 2240, the XP speed is not what a tbrid has to run at to match it, its hwat an Intel has to run at to match it

ANDy this is what the chart shoudl look like, insted of haveing tbrid equals it shoudl be intel equals

Won't get any argument from me on the pr rating. The new Sisoft takes this into consideration in testing. While the t-bird on both the old and new sisoft will score about the same (pr rating), the xp will score differently. The new sisoft of course takes into consideration the enhanced software driven portion of the core. Mhz for Mhz the xp does score slightly higher but this can be overcome with just a touch of oc. I spent a whole day researching this when it was first brought to my attention. The T-bird 1.4 was used as the baseline by AMD in documenting the xps percentage improvement over the 1.4 at given speeds. I posted a response to this in the amd cpu forum. This percentage can of course be overcome with just a little oc. You are right in stating that the prrating is an intel comparison and NOT an amd comparison. You will see many using the old Sisoft which does not show the new core improvement (in the pr rating) while the new sisoft does. One is Myself and I who is showing a pr rating well below what my xp1600 shows and he is up in the 1.7 GHz area. AMD and others have a lot of information on this available to the public. The long and short of this is that I agree with you especially in regards to the pr rating.:)

I agree with OC Jason and Silver. By the way, the Athlon XP performs better than the AthlonC clock per clock only if the software takes advantage of SSE. I noticed a difference when I ran Xmpeg to convert MPEG2 DVD movies to MPEG4 formats as Xmpeg takes advantage of SSE. Granted the Athlon XP has better cache architecture, but I think that's a minor thing.

ya it was stated earlier that an XP chip scoring liek 4400 or so in cpu bench had a PR rating of like 1975, and then it was siad that PR rating was a tbird equivalent, well my tbird is no where near 1975 but can match that score if it were the same mhz, the PR is not what a tbird has to run at.

Come on Andy youre the guy i learned from...where is you head :)

that is a tbird bench not an XP, so does another tbird have to be at over 2000mhz to mathc my tbird?

Anywho....not to dig up the arguement there....

I've had the AK31 for a week now, got lazy and didn't do the NB fan. I had the case open today, as I just got a 1.0 T-bird in the mail, and wanted to test it out. halfway thru testing, damned if'n that NB fan didn't start getting noisier by the minute... started dyin' right there in front of me...

Just glad I was working on the thing when it did go...:eek: :rolleyes:

NOTE to anyone looking at one of these mobo's....factor in the price of an old 40mm fan (Rad Shack has 'em for $10, but you can find 'em used...the old i486 used the same fans on the CPU). You WILL want to replace the NB fan....

Mr B

Mr B said:

NOTE to anyone looking at one of these mobo's....factor in the price of an old 40mm fan (Rad Shack has 'em for $10, but you can find 'em used...the old i486 used the same fans on the CPU). You WILL want to replace the NB fan....

Mr B

I second that. Mine died out after 3 weeks. I'm using a Radio Shack one that I had laying around. Almost everyone who owns the AK31 v3.1 have the same problem with the NB fan. What a stick in the mud for an otherwise great mobo.

Back