• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

eVGA 8600GTS 512MB or eVGA 8800GTS 320MB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AuDioFreaK39

Registered
I am going to buy a new gfx card next week. I have been considering the upcoming 8600GTS for quite some time now, as it will be released in less than a week. While the 8600GTS is said to be equipped with 256MB of GDDR3 memory, I am sure that eVGA will double that to 512MB as they do with most cards. With this factor in mind, it is most likely that a card like this may cost around $259? This leads me to the fact that a few people have purchased 8800GTS 320MB cards for the same price. So I am wondering, if my hypothesis turns out to be true, which would be the better card to get? Thanks in advance.

1280x1024 resolution
Pentium 4 550 3.4GHz at 3.91GHz
3GB Samsung DDR2
Windows Vista Ultimate

Well, if you plan on upgrading your system completely in the next few years, I'd just nab the 8600, and then fall/winter/spring look at building whatever the heck is the most powerful then.

I'm running a 7900GT with a 2.8Ghz P4 in a Dell rig, and it handles everything I can throw at it.

AuDioFreaK39 said:
but what about the possibility of bottlenecks associated with my CPU?

Fair enough, didn't notice it was a P4, my bad.

Your CPU will be a bottle neck, but the 8800GTS will be good for a future CPU upgrade. What GPU are you running now? Might just be time for a full upgrade. Since you're going with EVGA you could get the 8600 and in three months do a full upgrade and get whatever the card of choice is then.

Lot's of choices, why are you looking to upgrade, what game?
Dan

BobcatDan said:
Fair enough, didn't notice it was a P4, my bad.

Your CPU will be a bottle neck, but the 8800GTS will be good for a future CPU upgrade. What GPU are you running now? Might just be time for a full upgrade. Since you're going with EVGA you could get the 8600 and in three months do a full upgrade and get whatever the card of choice is then.

Lot's of choices, why are you looking to upgrade, what game?
Dan

Right now I have a 6800NU OC'd at 7600GS speeds. I'm not going to do a complete upgrade until next summer (2008). That's when I'll get high end quad core and SLi (GeForce 9s). As for now, I'm looking for a DX10 card to hold me over until that time. I want to be able to play Crysis and UT3 fairly decently when those comes out, as well as Need for Speed Most Wanted (I don't like Carbon).

Nab the 8600GS, it'll blow your current card out of the water, and let you run Crysis/UT3 at least decently.

AuDioFreaK39 said:
Right now I have a 6800NU OC'd at 7600GS speeds. I'm not going to do a complete upgrade until next summer (2008). That's when I'll get high end quad core and SLi (GeForce 9s). As for now, I'm looking for a DX10 card to hold me over until that time. I want to be able to play Crysis and UT3 fairly decently when those comes out, as well as Need for Speed Most Wanted (I don't like Carbon).

What Elif said. If you're not planning on upgrading your CPU until then, the 8600 is the ticket. They're supposed to OC like mad, so you may still be bottlenecked by the CPU, but it will be close. Right now I have a A64 xp 3200+ with a 6800GT, played everything with most eye candy until I got my WS 22", so now I'm upgrading... Basically equal rigs, though mines on an AGP board, so just upgrading the vid card isn't the best option for me.

The 8600 and your CPU should do well with those games at your res. I'm a year away from out of grad school, and I figure this is my last good chance to play an MMORPG (LOTRO) so I want to have the most fun with it while I can!
Dan

If it is 512mb, I would say that it doesn't sound too bad. It should be less than $259 though. On newegg there is an EVGA 320mb 8800GTS for 259 after rebate. Hopefully one of these can be had at or around the $199 mark?? If so, I would consider upgrading as well. Especially if they OC fairly well.

Back