• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Explanations of DFI NF3-250GB Bios settings/Ramtimings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
EspElement said:
use the 3rd or 4th sata spot for ur raptor.. and u will beable to get over ur 240 wall :-D

i had that board.. and SAME problem

Hey there, I appreciate the helpful sentiment but I've known about this for a while. I only use Sata 3 or 4 spot for the Raptor.

The problem is a lot more complicated than that.

1) The graphics card just won't overclock well above 435/1.14 (stock is 425/1.10)... even though I bought the Zlaman cooler for it a long with the Modstream 520 just to make sure it gets enough power. It stalls in the middle of games (sometimse crashes) and then continue (with poorer frame rates). The only solution I've found is by increasing the aperture size in the BIOS to it at 512MB but still can't overclock any higher.

2) The memory I've switched to 2T and the Gold edition OCZ just won't take anything more than 2.9 V. I can keep it at a marginal overclock +10 Mhz (260X2 DDR) but it wil still crash at 3.0V no matter what. So Iv'e never been able to get it higher 278 at 2.9V.. and honestly I'd like to take it to the max it can go stable/healthy.

3) The new stick of OCZ 3500 Platinum Edition I just bought 2.5-4-3-7 has two issues:

a) when I combine it with the other two sticks of OCZ 4000 (maximum of 768 Mb on this board -256X3) it won't clock higher togehter than 236..
b) when I put one stick of platinum and one stick of godl edition in (512 MB) only, it will go up to 260 just fine (haven't tried going any higher).

So I have no idea why all three sticks won't go higher than 236 in combination. I glanced over the manual and it said that if all three slots are full of double rank memory then it will be soemthing DDR200 and DDR333 at 1T and 2T respectively whereby if only two slots are full it will be DDR333 and DDR400 respectively. I'm not to sure I know what they are talking about in here, but perhaps that's why all three sticks won't overclock very high when combined? Does it have anything to do with this? And if so what can be done about it?

3) And last, I can give the processor 1.6 V (over the 1.55 V) and it will overclock to 2.6 Ghz just fine. Even if I give it a **** load more of voltage (max 1.78 volts 1.55 + 110%) it won't go an ounce faster. I'm VERY VERY dissapointed with this processor as this is only a 200 Mhz overclock max from the stock of 2.4 Ghz. Whereby my old 3000+ went from 2.0 Ghz to 2.50 easy (500Mhz overclock). Is there anything I can do to increase the overclock? I bought the Zalman 7700 Cu just for this.

Would appreciate the suggestions, makign this into a forum topic on DFI's board as well.

baberpervez said:
Hey there, I appreciate the helpful sentiment but I've known about this for a while. I only use Sata 3 or 4 spot for the Raptor.

The problem is a lot more complicated than that.

1) The graphics card just won't overclock well above 435/1.14 (stock is 425/1.10)... even though I bought the Zlaman cooler for it a long with the Modstream 520 just to make sure it gets enough power. It stalls in the middle of games (sometimse crashes) and then continue (with poorer frame rates). The only solution I've found is by increasing the aperture size in the BIOS to it at 512MB but still can't overclock any higher.

2) The memory I've switched to 2T and the Gold edition OCZ just won't take anything more than 2.9 V. I can keep it at a marginal overclock +10 Mhz (260X2 DDR) but it wil still crash at 3.0V no matter what. So Iv'e never been able to get it higher 278 at 2.9V.. and honestly I'd like to take it to the max it can go stable/healthy.

3) The new stick of OCZ 3500 Platinum Edition I just bought 2.5-4-3-7 has two issues:

a) when I combine it with the other two sticks of OCZ 4000 (maximum of 768 Mb on this board -256X3) it won't clock higher togehter than 236..
b) when I put one stick of platinum and one stick of godl edition in (512 MB) only, it will go up to 260 just fine (haven't tried going any higher).

So I have no idea why all three sticks won't go higher than 236 in combination. I glanced over the manual and it said that if all three slots are full of double rank memory then it will be soemthing DDR200 and DDR333 at 1T and 2T respectively whereby if only two slots are full it will be DDR333 and DDR400 respectively. I'm not to sure I know what they are talking about in here, but perhaps that's why all three sticks won't overclock very high when combined? Does it have anything to do with this? And if so what can be done about it?

3) And last, I can give the processor 1.6 V (over the 1.55 V) and it will overclock to 2.6 Ghz just fine. Even if I give it a **** load more of voltage (max 1.78 volts 1.55 + 110%) it won't go an ounce faster. I'm VERY VERY dissapointed with this processor as this is only a 200 Mhz overclock max from the stock of 2.4 Ghz. Whereby my old 3000+ went from 2.0 Ghz to 2.50 easy (500Mhz overclock). Is there anything I can do to increase the overclock? I bought the Zalman 7700 Cu just for this.

Would appreciate the suggestions, makign this into a forum topic on DFI's board as well.
1) Your graphics card has a known issue with ALL NF3 boards I had the same problem with my 6800GT. If it works fine with a mild OC and doesn't freeze consider yourself lucky.

2)Your memory may have have hit it's limit at 278 and the more sticks you use the lower your OC will go.(1 stick should oc better than 2 or 3 easily)

3)The 3400+ Newcastle that your running sounds like the same one I had. You won't be able to squeeze 1 more mhz out of that chip unless you move to watercooling. Then you may get it to do 2.7ghz if your lucky.

I hoped this helped to clarify some things for you. Good Luck

Thank you mysterfix for all the info, I appreciate it

is their anyway around the nforce3 issue concerning the graphic card?

I understand now about the memory, it's pretty much useless for me buying four sticks of 256MB now since they I can't even utilize theri high overclocking capability.

Would a VIa chipset prove more beneficial for video card overclocking?
I have a spare 754 board aroudn but the troulbe is that I can' tget it to post! (it's been rma'd and even then it doesn't post). I wonder if there are any isues with that.. going to scope out more on teh forums..

Again thanks for your help!

You can trun off fastwrites in your bios and change your 2d and 3d clock speeds to the same settings. The via chipset did not have this issue when I tried it, I used an Abit KV8pro.

mysterfix,

i might get a hand-me-down dfi nf3 mobo. i'm also being offered a 6600gt card. do you know if this v/c has the same issues the 6800 card does?

thank you,

I'm pretty sure it doesn't have issues. I've had this computer for aobut 5 months now and I've never had any problems.

Beginner said:
mysterfix,

i might get a hand-me-down dfi nf3 mobo. i'm also being offered a 6600gt card. do you know if this v/c has the same issues the 6800 card does?

thank you,
Nope, only the 6800 series have problems when paired with NF3 boards.

Wow, there would've been absolutely no way for me to know about this! Thanks Mystery, and by the way can you please reiterate your directions? I know how to turn off fast writers in the BIOS alright but won't that slow down GPU performance? Also whenever I overclock the 2d component using coolbits I get errors in graphical performance (haven't tired turning off fast writes yet). Can I try it using only 3d settings? I'll keep everyone posted.

OMg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It ****ing worked!!! holy ****, mother****er... DUDE!

YOu don't understand how long it's been since I've been trying to solve my overclocking issues. At first I thought it was my CPU, so I upped the voltage, no effect, then I thought itwas simply because my old PSU didn't provide the motherboard with enough current to the +12 Volt line, so I ended up buying this MODstream power supply over my old one (that worked fine with the VIA board concernign overclocking). Then I thought it was the HTT link , that I had to decrease it down to 2 although at 237 X4 should run just fine. Then I thought it was the aperture size, that it wasn't big enough.. But at the end all it was .. was really just fast writes!!

Thank you soo much Myster... You've been a great help! And now since I know why the system crashes amidst 3d, I can actually tyr experimenting by increasing the CPU overclock. I CAN go higher than 2.6 but it usually entailed the system crashign (blue screen) whenever ID' launch any 3d application. Now it's arleady running at 2.61 and still stable!! NOt even a glitch!!!!

Please please either make this into a sticky or put in the beginning of this DFI (rather huge but Extremely helpful) forum... others woudl sure benfeit from learning this!!!

thanks guys for the answer, this hand me down(dfi nf3/6600gt) might happen towards the end of this year :)

Hi guy

I AM NEW HERE:

I know that the NF3 250Gb(754) runs memory single channel. I am using PDC1G3200+XBLK they are DDR, my question is when I run 215*12, the 215 is 430 or still 215? When I boot in the post screen it shows 200, why is that? I am running this with 3400+ Newcastle. PLease assist.

Thanks in advance.
joe

any news on that micron 5bd/g timings on the 1st page. been waiting for that for quite a while now. :)

Hope some of you are still here, lol

Ok, 4 years later, this system is still living, as a 3rd pc, lol.
But I need help! Swapped cases, had to reset cmos, and I cant remember for the life of me how to get it just to run stock settings.

Its a 3200 DTR in a Lanparty nf3. Mushkin 2x512 3200 2-3-3-6 2.6V
Gforce FX5950 Ultra.

I tried a few things that I thought I could remeber, but it locks up at post.
803Mhz is not cool on default settings, lol.
10x200 1:1 everything else auto
Cpu 1.7v chipset 1.7 ram 2.6

Did not try anyother settings. What am I missing? AGP shows 66 I believe.
I know theres some simple setting I am not doing.
This use to run 250x10 for cryin out loud, I just want stock settings!

I could snap a few bios pics if that will jog anyones memory
Thanks alot!

Or there is a link to some of the pics in that review on page 4
http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2198&p=4

5 years and still kicking I just re-overclocked it .. now its more stable.. its been alive for 5 years full of dust.... now it runs cooler and 5more FSB stable.. shoulda cleaned it beforehand.. thanks for the Guide..

Back