• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

first build for pc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yzfspecvr6

Ok so my pc looks like it might have took a crap, not sure what broke, pc isnt out putting video, tried 2 different graphic card same outcome.. No video. my current desktop is in my signature. Im wanting to do this

Buy a new

cpu w/ heatsink
motherboard
ram

i want to use my current pc case, psu, gpu, hdd, etc...

there shouldnt be a problem right?? I should just be able to attach it all together and it should start up fine and since im using my old hdd, i would have all the same stuff on my pc I know this is a dumb question but I havent built a computer before.

Im looking to spend around 400-500 dollars, I want a top of the line cpu doesnt have to be top top, but i want it to be able to last a few years, I also want 8gig of ddr. Im open to suggestions on cpu/mobo combo?? I would like to overclock so it needs to be overclock friendly

Recommendations for CPU/Mobo/Cooler/RAM:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/92ccFT

What PSU do you have? It could be the culprit here.
What does the PC do when you try to cut it on?

I have a 700ish watt i believe Bought it about 4 years ago, tested it with mult imeter and all the voltages were right.

At first my pc wouldnt turn on, I would turn it on, it would turn the led lights and fans on then shut off, and it would turn back on by itself and then off again it would just do this until I fliped the switch on the psu.

I just kept messing with things unplugging and plugging them back in basically re put together the pc. Now it turns on and stays up but wont display video. No video no sound. Tried 2 monitors and its not wanting to display video.

So im guessing somthing is broke... lol

nope still not boot...

I did 1 stick, then took the other stick and used that. also tried different ram slots

i went to change the battery on my mobo and now its back to turning on and off by its self no booting into windows.

How can i get my pc to beep? I dont think my mobo has internal speakers and i use external speakers.

How can i get the beep codes so i can find out whats wrong??

if my computer is turning on and off by its will i still get the beeps or do i need to make it turn on and stay on??

Your case should have come with a PC speaker. You need to connect that to the "PC Speaker" header on the motherboard.

Edit: Already covered.

Yes, it goes on the bottom right of the board. It tells you which pins to connect it to.

Back