• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Post: Oc'd 8350 on air to 4.5ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fugu

Hello!

I'm not a big overclocker and i'm learning the game pretty fast and thankfully with no destruction! I'm an enthusiastic gamer and really like Racing Sims, so with sim racing you need a pretty powerful setup when you plan on racing on 3 monitors and to have the Graphics pushing the most realistic beautiful scenery you can.

I built up my computer recently and choose the following components to start with.

Antec P182 Case (on it's 3rd paint job already)
Asus M5a99x Evo
AMD 8350 4.0ghz
2x4 ghz Corsair Vengeance 2133mhz (set at 2133mhz with factory clocks 11 11 11 27)
Asus 7970 3 gig Direct CUII (wish it was the Top one but it was sold out).
Sandisk 240Gb SsD 555mb Write 550mb Read.
Thermaltake CPU cooler
Windows 7 64bit

It's really not an over the top system but it's running the Racing Software really well!

Okay, now for the overclocking part of it.

I used AMD Overdrive as I don't have an understanding of how much to increase voltage manually and would like to avoid frying my system! So I did a few initial overclocks using autoclock and having HWmonitor running in the background for a pretty decent OC of 4.3ghz with 0 Voltage increases and temps that stayed under 45C.

I felt that I needed to go farther and did a Benchmark on 3dmark11 to set a baseline.
P7613 with the CPU ocd to 4.3ghz

I went into GPU Tweak and found some settings that would work with the GPU and hit them up, nice and stable , no artifacts of hangs.

1125mhz on the Core clock up from 975mhz factory settings and a Memory Clock of 6.3Ghz I'm thinking there is alot more in it but can't figure out what settings to adjust to go further and just saved that as a profile and went back to the CPU settings to take it further.

Two more runs through AMD overdrive and the Autoclock feature easily brought the CPU up to 4.5ghz and nicely prompted that I restart the computer. Saved the profile and set it as a default.

Pictures! Pictures go a long way and if you guys are anything like me reading is a waste of time and pictures work way better.

ocscreencap.png

ocscreencap2.png

After all that I was able to run a final score on 3dmark 11 of P8697 which seems to be right on par for the OC level and power of my system.

Capture-3.png

Run Prime 95 20 mins then see what your temps are
Bench-marking don't stress the cpu like Prime does

I agree that 3dmark11 would never be able to do what prime would but what would be the point of stressing it thoroughly with Prime. I may play Battlefield 3 for a few hours on end and race only a few nights a week. Even those two combined would never bring it to the levels Prime would.

If you are not willing to subject your system to at least a two hour Prime95 blend stress test then don't be surprised if it begins showing signs of instability in running your games.

i find that games actually bring out instability better than p95 atleast for me, alot of times i can pass prime for 24 hours turn around start up a game and have it crash a couple hours into the game, add 1 more notch vcore or what ever bam everything is fine from then on out lol

I couldn't get the 4.5 OC to go anywhere on Prime. Within minutes 1-3 cores would shut down showing rounding errors.

I moved the OC to a 4.3ghz oc with no Voltage adjustments and it wouldn't make it through Prime95 either.

Set it to 4.0ghz completely factory and it will run it all day long.

As I stated in the beginning of my thread I'm not big into overclocking and got brave trying something new and learned a bit and realistically the next step is to ask for help.

What I know:

Prime 95 Rounding errors indicate a ram error or a possible bump in voltage.

Adding Voltage creates heat and heat destroyes components when it exceeds manufacturers max ratings.

What I don't know is how Ram timings affect the OC in prime. On the box for my Corsair Vengeance it states an 11-11-11-27 Clock for the Specified 2133mhz speed of the ram.

I've also noticed that the 8350 may not support 2133mhz ram as well. Should I set the Ram timings to auto and have the freuency match the possible lower settings the Chip needs.

Another wild card is Ram Voltage. I've never played with it and i'm not sure if it's the problem or not.

So. I have spent more then a few hours looking up info and reading various overclock procedures but some stuff remains a mystery to me.

Here's to hoping you gentlemen have some good insight into this.

we need to see a screenshot of hardware monitor, cpuz, three copys showing processor, memory, spd tabs all open and shot after 30 minutes of p95 for starters, your jumping the gun and ugly issues will arise form that.

So even in I run Prime and 2-3 Cpu cores shut down its not as bad as Im' making it out to be?

I really would like stability and to have Prime95 Run at least 3 hours fine it's all good for me!

go back to stock to start off with so we have a known baseline.

what Rgone said.

Last edited:
Thanks RGone, it should be showing now. First thing I did when I came back to the forums today!

Please understand i'm not some young kid looking to get a blazing fast PC for Black ops. I'm a 30 year old Computer Enthusiast who also loves real and sim racing.
I am a Journeyman Painter/Prepper/Repairer and enjoy the challenges of figuring out how to fix new cars and the situations that collisions present. With OC'ing a computer it presents the same challenge at home. Push it just far enough to get the most performance and then enjoy it and half the fun is learning the process!

So i'm here for information and don't expect you guys to come up with some magic numbers that will make this thing work at 4.5ghz on air. So really any help is appreciated and any information is greatly received.

Less than 15 minutes on Prime95's Blend Torture test run on the system in stock form.

So for now i'll give you a couple pictures of my battlestation and some of my cars!

20130106_161920_zpse9bfaf72.jpg

20130107_201752_zps00e5a93f.jpg

8017369416_c7adf4f523_k.jpg

5834119754_95e90381c9_b.jpg

Last edited:
Fugu, you came to the right place. Post those CPU,SPD, Memory PICS and Temps, you should have no problem getting to 4.5 on Air.

Fugu, you came to the right place. Post those CPU,SPD, Memory PICS and Temps, you should have no problem getting to 4.5 on Air.

Awesome! When you put a car on the track you want the most from your brakes, tires and suspension and most of all all the power from your engine. This 8350 is capable of some serious power and that was part of the reason I got it.
Inexpensive, new and powerful! Looks like others are having alot of fun with it to!

Here it is. 30 minutes of Blend OEM stock settings. I did notice what is probably the TurboCore setting bouncing up to 4.1+Ghz and also the powersaving features going in and out letting the cores drop to 3.7 and lower during the run.

30minutesPrime95-1.png

Edited for larger pic.

You may also want to take a look at this thread. I believe PolRoger had his up to 4.8 on Air.

EDIT: Fugu, can you use the free version of HWMonitor please so we can see the package temps. Also did you purposely drop the Ram to 1333?

IF YOU WILL PLEASE GO TO CPUID.COM AND DOWNLOAD THE NONPRO VERSION OF HARDWARE MONITOR IT WILL SHOW US THE TEMPS.

You may also want to take a look at this thread. I believe PolRoger had his up to 4.8 on Air.

EDIT: Fugu, can you use the free version of HWMonitor please so we can see the package temps. Also did you purposely drop the Ram to 1333?

Got Hardwaremonitor non pro. Sorry!

The ram was also put back to Stock form.

Back