• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Post: Oc'd 8350 on air to 4.5ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
THe Ai suite is the only thing I dont have installed. When I upgraded to my SSD 2 weeks ago I went fresh install of windows and used my MOBO drivers CD to install a couple of drivers and that was it.
i'll look into it.

#1 >> First Post: thankfully with no destruction!

I used AMD Overdrive as I don't have an understanding of how much to increase voltage manually and would like to avoid frying my system

GPU Tweak and found some settings that would work with the GPU and hit them up Two more runs through AMD overdrive and the Autoclock feature easily brought the CPU up to 4.5ghz

#2 >> Run Prime 95 20 mins then see what your temps are
Bench-marking don't stress the cpu like Prime does

#7 >> I couldn't get the 4.5 OC to go anywhere on Prime. Within minutes 1-3 cores would shut down showing rounding errorsI moved the OC to a 4.3ghz oc with no Voltage adjustments and it wouldn't make it through Prime95 either.Set it to 4.0ghz completely factory and it will run it all day long.

As I stated in the beginning of my thread I'm not big into overclocking and got brave trying something new and learned a bit and realistically the next step is to ask for help.

Right there is where the brakes need to come on. Dump software overclocing. How is raising the voltage by software any less deadly to parts than doing so in the bios? It is not any less deadly to parts.

Okay let me say that from another perspective. It was time for the brakes to come on IF the OP wanted to learn to overclock effectively. If all he want to do was play his sims etc, then he hinted he was already able to do so. What I read anyway.

Now if the OP really wants to learn the art / skill of doing an overclock that comes with a tested form of stability like 99% of the users coming to this AMD CPU Forum section, then the brakes need to come on and all the software overclocking and overclocking genies, wizards and warlocks need to be put aside.

Otherwise the thread is over into three pages and he is only stable in prime at stock settings. And there he thinks turbocore is jumping his speeds/volts up and down. Pull it off into the pits and make necessary repairs, even if you have to call the engine builder or chassis designer.

Nice looking setup by the way. RGone...

Up late so I went...

...went to look for a good starting point.

Not just a single fish for a meal but Fishing Lessons by "trents" for a lifetime of meals.
With these CPUs you would need to be concerned with and deal with certain things when overclocking:

The first thing would be to download the tools we use when overclocking: CPU-z, HWMonitor and Prime95. All are freeware.

The next thing to do would be to check core and CPU temps at stock frequencies and voltages to get an idea of how much overclocking headroom you have from a temperature standpoint, which is the main limiting factor.

To check those stock condition temps: Open HWMonitor on your desktop and adjust the slider and frame so you can see the core/"package" temps section and the voltage section. Leave it open while you run the Prime95 blend test for 20 minutes. When that is done, attach a pic of the HWMonitor interface with your next post. To attach a pic, first crop and save the image to disc using Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories. Then click on the Go Advanced button at the bottom of any new post window. When the Advanced Post window appears, click on the little paperclip icon which will load the file browser and upload tool. The rest is obvious.

Next you need to be able to:

1. In bios, first disable: Cool N Quiet, Turbo, C1E and C6. Also new with FX-series processor is the APM setting in bios. Locate and disable APM, so the high current draw thru the VRMs will not cause cpu throttling.
2. In Windows Control Panel Power Options configure it to High Performance.

These first two measures should disable all the "green" power saving stuff that cause erratic frequencies and voltages.

Then In bios, you will need to be able to manipulate:
1. CPU core voltage
2. CPU multiplier
3. CPUNB voltage
4. CPUNB frequency (may be expressed as a multiplier)
5. And perhaps, memory voltage

If you can locate those controls in bios you will be off to a good start and we can advise more specifically with regard to their adjustment. The terminology you encounter in the particular bios you are working on may vary somewhat from what I have used so be aware of that.

If you have a CPU with an upward unlocked multiplier, now just start increasing your CPU multiplier by .5x.

After each increase run a 20 minute Prime95 blend test to check for stability.

Always have HWMonitor open on the desktop to monitor core temps. Max stable core/"package" temp is typically 55-58c, somewhere in there. CPU Temp should not go higher than 70c.

When you first fail the 20 minute Prime blend test, increase your CPU core voltage by .025 and retest. If you still fail, add another .025 vcore. Then retest, repeating the pattern outlined. Stop adding vcore when your reach 1.5 or core temps exceed the parameters mentioned above.

Failing the Prime test can mean blue screen, spontaneous restart, lockup or one of the Prime core workers dropping out. Post back after you have added two increments of vcore or hit the mid 50's core temp wall. When you post, attach pics of HWMonitor; CPUz CPU Tab and CPUz Memory Tab from your last Prime95 blend run and give us a report.

+1 Rgone, I was going to let him find out how aod will muck things up for himself as i had to learn.
aod is ok for low clocks and acually works and puts safe limits in place.
once you get over about 20% overclock it can cause you to join hair club.

+1 Rgone, I was going to let him find out how aod will muck things up for himself as i had to learn.
aod is ok for low clocks and acually works and puts safe limits in place.
once you get over about 20% overclock it can cause you to join hair club.

LMao. Here's the key's to my Mustang, here's the race track, just remember to turn once and a while!

I'm guessing from the types of responces i'm getting in this thread you get alot of members show up, get what they want and leave. Alot of people come and go and alot of retarded posts?

I'm having at er, Got all the recommended settings turned off in my Bios. (should update my sig to include the version number to.
Asus UEFI Bios 2.0 ect. (i'll write it down and update).

Nothing spectactular on my end. some fans making noise in my case and a 4.2ghz clock running 15 minutes in at 1.3volts

I spent some time googling definitions and the sort trying to wrap more of my mind around all of this and it's still very intrigueing to me. FSB=NB and in my bios it's set at 200, at what point do I increase that?

What is a good way to kill time between Prime95 runs?

Whats everyones interests?

Are the early stages of OC'ing this simple or is this processor a champ? 4.5ghz 1.325 volts and it's running stable halfway through my 20 minute run on Prime.

Temps are high enough that I might be at a stopping point and should post some screenshots to get a more expert evaluation of the situation!

56C Package temp
49C Core temp

Screenshots will be up after this prime run and I think I might call it a Night at 4.5ghz.

I have my Report in. Everything went AWESOME! I mixed up my Package temp for CPU temp and was concerned about it hitting 61C but it's well under the 70C I was told to avoid.

Package Temps maxed at 52C and the test ran 20 minutes without issue. I've hit my goal of 4.5ghz but it's looking like it could take a bit more based on Temperatures.. Not much more but a bit more.

Now for the next logical step... Should I set the memory to 2133 with the manufacturers recommended clocks? or 1866 which I think is max for the 8350?

45ghzStableScreenshotManualOC.png

Copied the last line of post #44.
"When you post, attach pics of HWMonitor; CPUz CPU Tab and CPUz Memory Tab from your last Prime95 blend run and give us a report." I see three pics of the CPUz CPU Tab and no pics of the Memory tab. Since you also refer to DDR2133 ram it would be a good idea to include a capture of the SPD tab as well. The Tabs are across the top of CPUz.

Most just want a gimme numbers and let me go so I can say I am an overclocker.

RGone...

I did it! This time I set the Memory Timings for 2133mhz at 11-11-11-27 and re ran the test!
Based on temps it might still be able to hit 4.6ghz on Air. Would be at the top of the heat range though.

What are the veterans thoughts on this? What are you guys seeing that i'm not and could learn from!

BestOverclockyet-1.png

I am in no way a veteran but I can definetly recommend running P95 for at least 2 hours if you can be around to monitor temps etc 8 hours is even better. I thought I had a sucessfull OC after 20 minutes then an hour and then an hour and a half when it started dropping cores. Long story short 20 minutes of p95 does not test long term stabilitly its just a good way to check in between bumping up settings on your way to hitting your target OC. Good luck with your machine and beware OC'ing is fun and kinda addicting!

I am in no way a veteran but I can definetly recommend running P95 for at least 2 hours if you can be around to monitor temps etc 8 hours is even better. I thought I had a sucessfull OC after 20 minutes then an hour and then an hour and a half when it started dropping cores. Long story short 20 minutes of p95 does not test long term stabilitly its just a good way to check in between bumping up settings on your way to hitting your target OC. Good luck with your machine and beware OC'ing is fun and kinda addicting!

I'm patiently waiting to hear back on if the temps are okay and within reason before going for a long term Prime95 run.

If temps are an issue i'd be more then happy to do some research into which Watercooling setup to get and see if I can go a little higher still.!

I'm really appreciating the help from everyone here and it's given me a lot of confidence in pushing my system like this and prior to getting on here I never ever would have touched Vcore before. Didn't know enough to do it.

If anyone likes i'll post Video tommorow evening of my Autocross i'm attending in the morning! Picked up a GoPro Hero3 and will be strapping it to my Miata and racing in the snow.

I did it! This time I set the Memory Timings for 2133mhz at 11-11-11-27 and re ran the test!
Based on temps it might still be able to hit 4.6ghz on Air. Would be at the top of the heat range though.

What are the veterans thoughts on this? What are you guys seeing that i'm not and could learn from!

Your CPU in the "needed Vcore" to cpu speed range may be just a shade better than my FX-8350. Although I have to admit that once I get the 'moon-shots' out of the way, know what Vcore is probably actually needed for 24/7 use and that Vcore is a little higher than what I might have used just to run that speed before I settled on 24/7 use speeds. So I tend to set my 24/7 Vcore at 24/7 Speed a shade higher to take care of day in and day out use and the tendency to have to 'adjust' Vcore after a month or so. A little higher Vcore than I used at a test Speed now the 24/7 speed and I am good to go for months and months. Just a little extra I do from experience and don't have to write to a forum and say "Oh I was stable for a month and now nothing wants to pass for stability".

Temps okay looking. I am running a series of benches from 4.1Ghz to 5.4Ghz to see if the performance to Mhz and heat sort of flatlines on Vishera like it Most Certainly did on Bulldozer FX processor. Some are believing the performance is scaling on beyond 4.3GHz and that perhaps running as fast as heat and Vcore are sensible; then that is where one can still gain performance. Like I said testing now to see if that be so on my own FX-8350. Trying to sort the results and annotate and sort images now just as I was typing this got about 1/3 done. Be a few days. Graph and all.

So to quest for 4.6Ghz...well you are bumping the heat O limits. IF and I think you are going to go with a good 'water-rig', I might just hang and build the water stuff and go again. I would hate to see you lose what looks like an awesome processor bumping the heat O limits just for funzies. IMO. YMMv. Noses. RGone...

EDIT:
You need to run at least 2 hours P95 Blend to test extended stability. So unstable dragon does not sneak and take a bite out of rear of driver's suit.
END EDIT.

Fugu, how long was prime run for in post 51? It's not stable for me unless it's 2 hours but that's me. You have about 5c head room if you really want to see what you max oc is, with that setup. I feel like your case may be holding your OC's back. That is a really good heatsink you have and seems like a whole lot of heat from 1.37 v core. So I'm thinking you don't have enough airflow in the case. How many fans are installed in the case?

Fugu, how long was prime run for in post 51? It's not stable for me unless it's 2 hours but that's me. You have about 5c head room if you really want to see what you max oc is, with that setup. I feel like your case may be holding your OC's back. That is a really good heatsink you have and seems like a whole lot of heat from 1.37 v core. So I'm thinking you don't have enough airflow in the case. How many fans are installed in the case?

It has stock upper and lower fans at the front of the case, a fan on top and at rear entry and a fan between the hard drives and Powersupply in the lower section.

734957_10152434706765113_1006576322_n.jpg

8350 overclock

Heres mine bro and settings. I could have went farther with processor no problem, it's getin ram to play nice your gonna have probs with I did, got same errors ect ... I had to play with ram timings to get it to hold prime blend for 24 hours now its totally crash free. Ive got an raystorm rx240 750 water cool too [180 bucks @ frozen cpu kit includes everything u need], but in regards to u not being stable its your ram. 8350 4.623 @ 1.41v 2211 NB frequency @ 1.22v 2211 HT @ 1.21v DRam @ 2143 @ 1.67v tCL-9 tRCD-11 tRP-10 tRAS-28 CMD Rate 1T tRC3-38 tWR-16 tRFC-160 tRRD-7 tWTR-8 tRTP-8 tFAW-28 tCWL-9 G. Skill Sniper 2133 My 24 hour blend temps dont go over 52c . It took me days to get ram to run with the cpu clock and not be a dog with big timings and not lock up. I've had mine run for 3 hours and still crash so dont be fooled. I actually went the 24 just because it did that to me after 3 hours.

Last edited:
I can switch NB to 2411 and ram to 1874 with same timings on ram and actually its better performance or should I say better numbers on bench with ram at 1866 and NB @ 2400 but runnin the ram on 2133 locks ur NB to 2200 it doew on mine anywauy ASRock 990FX Extreme4. I think itts got somethin to do with ram ratio, I dont know everything but just thought I'd share my experience with the 8350. My MLB 2k12 ruuns great. I also do race SIM I've got the NASCAR 2003 the one the cup guys were usin till that I Race or whatever came out, but you have to pay for everything on there, new tracks ect. they charge you for. Im sure if ur into race sim you know what 1 I'm talkin about.

It has stock upper and lower fans at the front of the case, a fan on top and at rear entry and a fan between the hard drives and Powersupply in the lower section.
That actually doesn't look bad at all. The front one is in-taking and the top and rear are exhausting air? Do you notice any difference in temps with the door off?

That actually doesn't look bad at all. The front one is in-taking and the top and rear are exhausting air? Do you notice any difference in temps with the door off?

I usually just run it with the front toor open. It's supposed to have dust filters but I did notice those putting alot of restriction in place too.

Back