• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Post: Oc'd 8350 on air to 4.5ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I just re read my post sorry it wasn't clear, I meant can you run prime at the settings your at with the "case side panel" not the door and see if the temps are any lower?

Snow and all. Camera did take a dive seems like. But U found your camera.

What ride? Could not tell from camera location.

Thanks man. RGone...

It's from my 1992 Miata! Thats how we race in Canada.

20121023_175433.jpg

So back to business. I havn't had time to run a 2 hour Prime95 (maybe later today). but i'm noticing random lockups on the PC during regular usage.

Seems to happen more often when I have my Gopro camera plugged in...

Will get a 2 hour done and see how it holds up.,

So , I made it 25 minutes into Prime 95 and it ended with a lockup.

At this point what would be causing the Lockup... LLC? Not enough Voltage? Temps aren't an issue..

More Northbridge power?

You ran prime at 4.5 with the specs from post 51? Try giving the Cpu-V Core a bump up and see if it helps. What were the temps at, same as post 51?

You ran prime at 4.5 with the specs from post 51? Try giving the Cpu-V Core a bump up and see if it helps. What were the temps at, same as post 51?

Temps were the same. No difference, I'm currently at 1.35 volts up from 1.325 volts before.

I did notice my windows power saving mode keeps gonig back to Balanced even though I've set it for performance...

I'm leaving voltage at 1.35 and running a Prime test at 4.4ghz to see how it fares.

Fugu, before I bought my CHV mobo I had the same motherboard you are running. No matter what I did I couldn't keep it from locking up on prime when it was overclocked. I then tried using AIDA64 which some members feel is a better stability tester. It doesn't heat the cpu as much as prime either. I was able to get mine stable at 5.1 using Aida, mind you I'm on a full custom loop. I ran my pc 24/7 at 4.8 and never had it crash on me, on the M5A99X board. I never really put much effort into figuring out why I had hard lockups on the M5A99x, it is possible that the 6+2 power phase count VRM's aren't giving the chip enough power, because I am having no such lockups using my CHV board which has a more robust power phase count. For what I use my pc for Aida64 was enough of a stability test for me to pass though. So you may want to try using that program and see how you fare.

Thank you Mandrake!

I have an option if the board isn't going to take the OC.. My Fiancee will be building a computer very similar to mine and there is a deal on for an 8350+Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 for 359.00Cdn. She would get my M5a99x and i'd upgrade to the Sabertooth.

The odd thing out is that the computer would randomly lock up and freeze the same way prime would.

Noticed it when opening GoPro's Cineform studio and when uploading youtube video's. All the while the GPU is in default mode and i've only ever run it overclocked for benchmarking.

Could this be a ram issue? Ram isn't fast enough to keep up or timings off? Not enough Voltage to the memory...

Even just idling it would freeze up. Only once did I get a BSOD and it was the first time I opened GoPro's Cineform software a few days ago.

I'll look up the software you mentioned and give it a try.

As far as the sabertooth goes I feel it's overpriced, there are plenty of less expensive boards that are as good. It's a little gimmicky in my opinion. Personally I was happy with my EVO I just needed another board for another pc I was building and found the CHV in the classifieds for a good price.

As far as your pc locking up, whether it is prime stable or Aida64 stable you still need to find stability. If it is locking up using everyday tasks then it's not stable.

As far as the sabertooth goes I feel it's overpriced, there are plenty of less expensive boards that are as good. It's a little gimmicky in my opinion. Personally I was happy with my EVO I just needed another board for another pc I was building and found the CHV in the classifieds for a good price.

As far as your pc locking up, whether it is prime stable or Aida64 stable you still need to find stability. If it is locking up using everyday tasks then it's not stable.

Agreed. This Aida64 Extreme program is beautiful.! I like looking at things happen, even if' it's a slow stability test. This gives me graphs and info to watch go by!

Still locking up even at 4.4ghz. I'm a little stumped.

Okay let me see if I can remember this 'crutch' I used to use.
1. > P95 Blend > Crash and computer need to restart = Voltage too low. This can be a Vcore setting issue WAY-OFF or it can be power supply issue.

2. > P95 Blend > Simple crash of program no reboot = Most likely not enough Vcore.

3. > P95 Blend > Program freezes = For me it means I am getting closer on settings and I need normally a little more Vcore.

4. > P95 Blend > workers dropping out = Normally a shade more Vcore.

5. > P95 Blend > workers dropping out = IN a very few instances I have had to up the CPU_NB voltage but it is not often.

6. > P95 Blend > 'FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.' = Is considered by most to be some sort of Ram problem. Could be wrong settings for the ram including speed, timings and voltage. IN a very few instances it might be the CPU_NB frequency is not fast enough but it is not often.

Those are only the 6 types of situations I have found myself in when using P95 Blend over the last 10 years or so. It is not by any means all inclusive. Probably cannot even be agreed upon by all. But I think along those lines based on what P95 Blend does on my configurations.
RGone...

Okay let me see if I can remember this 'crutch' I used to use.
1. > P95 Blend > Crash and computer need to restart = Voltage too low. This can be a Vcore setting issue WAY-OFF or it can be power supply issue.

2. > P95 Blend > Simple crash of program no reboot = Most likely not enough Vcore.

3. > P95 Blend > Program freezes = For me it means I am getting closer on settings and I need normally a little more Vcore.

4. > P95 Blend > workers dropping out = Normally a shade more Vcore.

5. > P95 Blend > workers dropping out = IN a very few instances I have had to up the CPU_NB voltage but it is not often.

6. > P95 Blend > 'FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.' = Is considered by most to be some sort of Ram problem. Could be wrong settings for the ram including speed, timings and voltage. IN a very few instances it might be the CPU_NB frequency is not fast enough but it is not often.

Those are only the 6 types of situations I have found myself in when using P95 Blend over the last 10 years or so. It is not by any means all inclusive. Probably cannot even be agreed upon by all. But I think along those lines based on what P95 Blend does on my configurations.
RGone...

Thanks RGone , excellent peice of info right there and I was wondering what some of the errors were pointing to.

I'm running Aida64 again and will be closely watching temps. Will post back soon!

I agree he may need more V Core but remember every chip is different cowboy. I run 4.5 stable at 1.375, 1.39 under load prime stable.

What other motherboard settings affect stability? I've done nothing to the Northbridge or the 200mhz system bus freuency.

Another think i'd like to ask. How long does it take usually for a CPU to reach max temp while stressing.

I don't want to walk away from this but if I needed to what is the interval that I want to be steadily watching this where an overheat would happen?

BTW, 7 minutes in and 57C CPU temp 55C package temp at 1.440 Volts.

I love the graph btw! Temps graph live is awesome, I opened the door on the front of my case and the temp dropped 1C and stayed there. I closed the door and it went back up lol.!

22minutes on Aida64 with CPU temps as high as 59. Pics coming momentarily.

Last edited:
Back