• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Post: Oc'd 8350 on air to 4.5ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I agree he may need more V Core but remember every chip is different cowboy. I run 4.5 stable at 1.375, 1.39 under load prime stable.
I agree but if its not stable at that Vcore then you need to bump it up cause like you said all chips are different some take more than others
And it could be ram settings too high??? Too many things going on at once to narrow it down
I am new to this & will continue to get better as time goes on

I didn't mean to step it up to 1.44 just a bump or 2 more from what you had
No need to run more Vcore than needed it will just cause more heat & temps will rise

10 minutes in and it still froze up.

what does a gentleman do at this point? Vcore is up there right now. The Temps are fine as well..

Logically from what i've learned is that i'd give it just a small increase in VCore now?

You should not need more Vcore than what have to be stable

For now i've backed it all back down to 4.0ghz and put Auto back on for Vcore.

Maybe there is something in the Bios setup incorrectly that is cause for concern with stability?

I'm trying to think aloud to see if it helps me figure out what is the issue.

I just looked back at post 51 at your timings. You timings are off from what the XMP profile is. Maybe try setting them exactly to the XMP and give the Dram V a bump.

Okay here is the problem as we all run into when working by typing into a forum. There are parts of the person's configuration, with the issue, that are borderline. Take for instance the Cpu Core Temps or Package is bouncing off of 59c last I looked. Is that the problem? Pretty difficult to say when not right there at the keyboard. Meaning close-up and personal.

"Fugu" here is a link to another 2nd tier Asus board user and running an FX-8350 cpu in the board. http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=723442&highlight=FX-8350 Now I am not fully ready to say that you are going to fall into the same set of circumstances that he did, but your scenario rang a bell in my feeble brain. It is a very good read since he did the legwork to finally get stable at 4.5Ghz-ish. It was one whole night that he dealt with CPU_PLL.

There are already at least one problem I have with your procedure. You let somebody talk you into stressing with other than what we well probably 99.5% of use to stress with. How P95 Blend reacts to user inputs in bios is a given for many of us. When you swap off to something else that a user said he moved to because he never could get his stuff stable with P95 Blend is a cop-out of sorts.

When many of us hear that you are stable with A64 or whatever the for-pay application is then we will always wonder if you are really stable and most of us will never buy A64 to see how it acts and how hard it pushes. I doubt it can stress the system like P95 Blend does since many apps are written and windows will shut-down the FP units not in use and lower the temps. P95 Blend does not operate that way and hammers the system to show stability or not.

You need to go back to 4.2Ghz or whatever speed that P95 Blend "will" pass and not fail and that includes stock if you dont' know what actual speed P05 Blend is stable. Run P95 Blend at that speed and settings for 2 hours. Post HWMonitor, CPUz CPU Tab, CPUz Memory Tab and CPUz SPD Tab. Probably then and only then will we be able to ascertain what needs to change and by about how much.

If your cpu core/package temps keep on bumping up against or close to 60c, then your problem for increasing cpu Mhz is going to revolve around more and better cpu package cooling is a pretty honest assessment. IMO.

There are plenty more that have skills and they may see it all from a different perspective and that is okay as well. Just my look and feeling from working around 100's of these clock my FX type threads.
RGone...

Last edited:
If I was you I would set all my Ram timings and frequency auto or even underclock them until you can get your cpu stable. When I first started trying to OC my FX 6300 the first thing I did was set my Ram frequency and timings to the manufacturers specs, the result was I could not get it stable even at stock clocks no matter what vcore i hammered into it. So I read some more forums here and realized that I skipped a step in adjusting ram timings and speed befor getting my cpu stable at my desired clock speed. It still took me two days of trial and error with alot of guidance from folks in this forum but I attained a stable 4.5GHz OC. I then spent another day of trial and error with some more guidance from Woomack over in the memory forum to get my ram set to the manufacturers specs and stable with my OC. Just my two cents and only speaking from my limited experience I hope you can find a solution and get the OC your looking for.

There are already at least one problem I have with your procedure. You let somebody talk you into stressing with other than what we well probably 99.5% of use to stress with. How P95 Blend reacts to user inputs in bios is a given for many of us. When you swap off to something else that a user said he moved to because he never could get his stuff stable with P95 Blend is a cop-out of sorts.
Insert Mandrake in somebody. Ha Rgone you could have just said it, i didn't and wont take offense if I am guiding someone down the wrong path. I am still learning this overclocking game and have learned quite a bit from people like yourself. With that said let me explain why I did choose to try Aida64. I had read on a few other posts, that some of the experienced overclockers were starting to use Aida64, feeling it was a better stability tool. My problems with Prime started as soon as I installed my 8350. I always used prime with my 955be and had it 2 hr stable at 4.3. With the 8350, as soon as I Oc'ed it to 4.4 I would lock up after a few minutes. I tried everything I could think of including throwing Caddie Daddie like V Core at the chip and still it locked up. So I decided to try Aida64 and I was also using Intel Burn as a stress test. I was able to pass Aida64 2hrs and Intel Burn 20 passes all the way up to 5.0. Running 24/7 at 4.8 without crashing. That was stable enough for me, though it may not be for what Fugu uses the pc for.

Furthermore, now that I have a CHV I've been re-testing/overclocking my 8350, instead of just plugging in the #'s from my Oc's on the M5A99X EVO and am able to use prime without issue. I have tested it to 4.7 so far 2hours blend stable. Which had me thinking what I posted earlier in #69 that
I had hard lockups on the M5A99x, it is possible that the 6+2 power phase count VRM's aren't giving the chip enough power under the stresses of prime, because I am having no such lockups using my CHV board which has a more robust power phase count.
Could I be wrong, absolutely, I have only been learning how to OC for a year + and again have learned most of what I know from you, trents, caddie, bassnut and others, so thanks to you people and thanks for pointing out me possibly misleading Fugu. :thup:

A little bit of a Hiatus, but Ive got some freetime tonight and tommorow!

I basically put the 8350 back down to 4.0ghz and left it for now to be safe.

Now, some news. My Fiancee is upgrading her computer and wants an 8350 as well.

What i'm thinking is give her my M5a99x Evo and get a higher end Mobo, something that will allow me to go farther with the processor at hand. On top of that we bought a second 7970 for her PC as well. (currently got it stashed in my case and did a couple benchmarks with it for fun!)

So. I think a worthwhile goal for now is a Stable 4.4ghz OC with a single 79703gb card in there.

When we are ready to get her PC built i'll look into picking myself up a much more powerful motherboard. I'm very much open to suggestions and don't want to pick one up based on how much it costs! I want features that work and features that I can use, toss me idea's on that one!

Watercooling is an option if I get a better motherboard. I've heard closed sealed systems are easy to use but have some issues where as an open system you can run better coolants and other things (there will be a learning curve and research done for sure) but not a concern right now.

Work has been insanely busy! We had a bodyman walkout after starting 6 jobs and over 100 hours worth of work. I am the core bodyman at the shop and all his mess ups and broken parts as well as cars heavily torn down were put on me to repair on top of my work! Im exhausted but ready to take another shot at overclocking my 8350.

Here's my plan.

1)Review the thread.
2)start from scratch at 4.1 and slowly go up to 4.4ghz with voltage adjustments to become stable.
3)adjust ram timings, check stability.
4)Adjust GPU settings, check stability.

5) Play some games!

ON a side note I tested out an Nvidia GTX680 4gb card a few days ago and I couldn't stand it....

I do alot of race simming and use triple monitors at a resolution of 5760x1080 and the 4gb card is supposed to be ideal for it. I hashed out 700.00 for the GPU as well and after benchmarking it and testing it in sim on three monitors I came to the conclusion that it was not worth the sum of money for the performance. I couldn't even future proof my pc for 3d gaming because it couldn't go past 80fps on a busy race track.

I returned the card and picked up a second 7970 (mismatched Gigabyte and Asus cards right now, I really tried to find 2 identicals....).

So , hello everyone! I'll keep you updated if I make it to 4.4ghz on air stable.

Update as work and time allow man. We must make hay while the sun shines on us. Good plans for bring the rig back up to speed and testing along the way.
RGone...ster

Went through the baseline process again and i'm back up to 4.4ghz with 20 minute prime sessions and voltage increases up to 1.332 volts.

Here's an interesting question .

I have auto (in bios ) set on all these at the moment.

CPU/Nb voltage
Vdda Voltage
Dram Voltage
NB voltage
NB Ht voltage
SB voltage.

I have a screenshot on my phone of the voltages and I can post it if it helps!

My bus speed is also at 200. I've always wondered about that, Do I use that to fine to the max OC on the Cpu?

just had an oddity I can't figure out.

Got the oc up to 4.4ghz at 1.325volts. It passes the 20 minute test easily and I figure I might as well see if it will run for 2 hours and maybe stay at 4.4 until I get better components.
It makes it 1 hour and freezes, didn't drop cores, but straight up locks up. So first instinct that i've learned is to increase Vcore by 0.025. 1.325 to 1.350 and rerun Prime. Within 1 minute of starting prime the system locks up. How can it go for an hour and then only make 1 minute with an increase of voltage? Whats the cause and how do I find a fix.?

This is what it was set at when it ran for about 1 hour before freezing. Turning up Vcore locked it up faster.

44ghzstartingfresh.png

I notice things like the Bus speed fluctuating as well as vCore. is this a problem?

Back