• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Post: Oc'd 8350 on air to 4.5ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
RJARRRPCGP, I think you missed this part of the thread, Fugu re-posted after this thread had been dead for 6 weeks saying the following.

Been a while since i've been on but I wanted to come in and give a special thanks to everyone that helped me achieve a goal of 4.4ghz stable on air. Althought it's not the 4.5ghz I originally wanted, it turned out to be safer, just as fast and very stable.

It's now been 2 months since i've been on this thread and I havn't had a single issue with my setup. No crashes, no Blue Screens, no shutdowns or lost data. I've been able to play on my Racing Sim, Crysis 3 , Battlefield 3 and sadly SimCity without issue.

Thank you to everyone that responded to my thread and helped me learn more about the workings of my PC.

Been a while since i've been on but I wanted to come in and give a special thanks to everyone that helped me achieve a goal of 4.4ghz stable on air. Althought it's not the 4.5ghz I originally wanted, it turned out to be safer, just as fast and very stable.

It's now been 2 months since i've been on this thread and I havn't had a single issue with my setup. No crashes, no Blue Screens, no shutdowns or lost data. I've been able to play on my Racing Sim, Crysis 3 , Battlefield 3 and sadly SimCity without issue.

Thank you to everyone that responded to my thread and helped me learn more about the workings of my PC.

Thank you very much for giving us a "heads up" on your current results and your satisfaction with your results. It is always nice to know the outcome of some 6 pages of a thread. Again, thank you for bringing us up to date.
RGone...

I'm back and i've decided to play a little bit more with my 8350! First off what a badass chip, it has taken my original 4.4ghz clock and ran flawlessly, has never seen a BSOD, an error or a bad shutdown or restart.

My Fiancee has recently upgraded her computer to an 8350 as well and with spare parts i've picked up another toy to play with and put together a 9600BE Quad core with a Thermaltake V1 cooler on it. Since she wanted to overclock hers I picked up a Corsair H100i cooler and moved everything into a case that I can actually show off.

I'm about to shutdown Prime95 (running it as a baseline to ensure the Cooler swap went well) and get back on my own pc to post up some pictures of how it looks now. I figure over the next week i'll be able to play with this a bit and get up into that 5.0Ghz range!

Brb with some pictures.

1 Hour in Prime and it's max temp was 40C and a max package temp of 55C

Get 'em pics up. Be nice to see HWMonitor with P95 Blend after at least 20 mins. See where she be at today.
RGone...

Get 'em pics up. Be nice to see HWMonitor with P95 Blend after at least 20 mins. See where she be at today.
RGone...

I got excited about running Prime95 again to see how well my cooling setup is going to work so I didn't turn on CPUID to show voltages but did have HWmonitor running. I'll screenshot it anyway to show max's!

Pictures coming as soon as I upload em

vWfewkv.png

Out with the old, in with the new! Corsair Carbide Air 540, got a decent Black Friday deal on it and it matches the decor!

kFWdGrK.jpg

mxJ6ctO.jpg

There's two AMD 8350's with 7970 3gb and a 9600BE x4 in there somewhere!

65iT4oH.jpg

Current configuration of my new box! Flash and no flash

XSxvkrP.jpg

F2zyaCr.jpg

What cpu speed was being ussed in that HWMonitor capture above?

Temps look pretty doggone good for whatever speed was in use.
RGone...ster.

What cpu speed was being ussed in that HWMonitor capture above?

Temps look pretty doggone good for whatever speed was in use.
RGone...ster.

My 4.4ghz overclock! I left everything untouched and popped the cooler on and ran it for at least half an hour while I played on the middle computer. Keep in mind during Prime95 it was at 38-40C and package temps stayed at 55C
8xFgfph.png

Man you got a good looking cube going on there. Nice!!

You probably got enuogh cool to get on up into the 4.5/6 Ghz range 'stable'. Vcore takes a pretty good jump in the 100Mhz or 200Mhz range of increase and it sorta depends on the particular cpu. But seems you do have some more upward room. Again...nice setup.
RGone...ster.

Man you got a good looking cube going on there. Nice!!

You probably got enuogh cool to get on up into the 4.5/6 Ghz range 'stable'. Vcore takes a pretty good jump in the 100Mhz or 200Mhz range of increase and it sorta depends on the particular cpu. But seems you do have some more upward room. Again...nice setup.
RGone...ster.

You can say that again RGone. I started with a very similar set-up but my chip got really thirst for the next couple hundred MHZ. By the time I got 4.5 I was at 1.45v. With luck Fugu yours will hold off a bit before you need a big bump.

Looks good man congrats
Maybe add alittle fsb to gain more OC as just multi won't go as high
I am happy that you have been putting everything learned to use
I change my OC almost everyday to see what works well and what don't
I run 4.3 for everyday use but have it setup to downclock to 1.5 and .900 Vcore till its needed
Big thanks to Rgone and others like John who help us better understand how to become better informed about our rigs

I've tried to find some time to tinker with this a bit more so i'll get some of my findings up and posted.

First off i've found that 4.8ghz is easily acheived with a 1.44v setting in the bios but I can't test it for stability for obvious reasons! It'll get up to 60c in a matter of minutes in prime and I got all brave and ran it like that for a benchmark in 3dmark11 and produced a P10753 which is my highest benchmark to date compared to a P9789 or so with 4.0ghz out of the box.

So i've tried running 4.8ghz at lower and lower intervals of Vcore to reduce the heat and it just won't run, so here's a shot of my latest attempt at 4.7ghz and it wasn't heat that stopped me this time it was an error on core 8.

aEtbD7U.png

Rgone you guessed i'd hit 4.7ghz with stability which is probably a 4.6ghz (23.0 multiplier) with some FSB tweaks i'm guessing.
Now my next step needs some help, FSB tweaks are new to me and my biggest question is what do I do with the ram frequency? If I up the bus I lose my 2133mhz timing for the ram...

:rain:

I just select a lower ram speed then raise fsb till I get the ram speed I'm looking for
Then adjust multi to cpu speed I want
Just watch your HT speed and NB speed cause they go up too
It takes alittle time to get it just right but you will know your rig well afterwards

Fugu, post #132 Does not show the other of the 3 Tabs of CPUz that we certainly need to see. The Memory Tab. It should show us the speed of the ram and the actual settings of the major timings. The SPD is static in that it is showing what the ram is designed to run but not WHAT it is running at. The Memory SPD also has in it a refernce to the CPU_NB speed that is not visible otherwise. Need the 3 captures of CPUz AND the one of HWMonitor Free. 4 images in other words.
Gone...Again...

What is what? I would do THIS...

Fugu, let me get my thoughts in order.
1. My latest guess at stable cpu speed was in post #128 above and it was a 4.5/4.6Ghz guesstimate, and not 4.7Ghz.

2. Your ram is set to DDR3-21xx and is not really productive at the low CPU speed you are running with those loose timings. DDR3-21xx is pretty useless until you go above 4.8Ghz. Slower and tighter benches better and performs better. Just having and setting DDR3-21xx is not really helping much.

3. 1.416V and a bounce to 1.428Vcore is not enough cpu voltage for 4.6Ghz and surely not for 4.7Ghz as you tested in your post above.

4. If I remember the outline of this thread you finally got stable at about 4.4Ghz and then you added an H100i cooler into the mix. At that point in post #128 above I speculated you had room to likely get that 4.5/4.6Ghz stable. I still think that.

5. My question is 4.6Ghz stable for 2 hours of P95 Blend? If not, why not? You need 4.6Ghz stable first. If you have it and I missed it...my bad.

6. If 4.6Ghz is stable for 2 hours of P95 Blend and the temp for Cpu/socket are not above 70c and the core/package temp is not exceeding 62c then you have a little more headroom to (try) look for 4.7Ghz.

7. Lower ram speed to DDR3-1866 in bios. Set it to timings of 10, 11, 11, 28, 47, 2T and make the ram voltage be 1.55V up from 1.5V.

8. Adjust CPU voltage to 1.44V and CPU_NB to 1.25V. You need to see 1.44V-ish in HWMonitor while P95 Blend is running at 4.7Ghz. Hoping the temps remain within the bounds I spoke of in #6 above.

9. Make sure the CPU_LLC is set to 1 notch down from the max which I think is Extreme for Max. Don't know how your board bios names the CPU_LLC.

10. Now set cpu multiplier to 23.

11. Set FSB aKa CPU Ref Freq to 204 or 205. 204 gives just a shade under 4.7Ghz and 205 gives just a shade over 4.7Ghz. 204x23 will still likely read 4.7Ghz-ish in CPUz since it reads a little higher than actual on most AM3+ Asus mobos.

12. Make sure you have made the adjustments as above. Save and Exit bios. Make sure the fans on your H100i will go to full speed in P95 Blend mode. Now when saving and exitting bios your boot should be at about 4.7Ghz with ram running at about DDR3-1900ish but with tighter timings.

13. Go into windows if it will. Run P95 Blend with HWMonitor logging min/max temps and voltages. See if you get 20mins without failure and without exceeding Cpu/socket above 70c and the core/package temp is not exceeding 62c during the 20min P95 Blend. If you get there we need to for SURE see CPUz CPU TAB, Memory Tab and the HWMonitor capture so we can see what is what. Don't care about seeing P95. You can say passed or failed and what test failed.
RGone...ster.

PS: just so you know. These are the actual numbers and voltages I would use in testing my own rig. I would watch temps. I would NOT panic if a temp touched max recommended and jump up and stop the testing of P95. I would rather look and see if the temps do not jump up then lower slightly and that cannot be seen with a quick move to shut down P95 without first seeing the actual temp trending.
Gone...Again.

Fugu, I have one of the lower voltage 8350's out of the group of us, meaning I can usually get to X mhz at slightly less Cpu V then some of the others, ie Johan, Caddi etc. Every chip is different but 1.41 is most likely as Gonester stated way too low. I need 1.46875 with much better cooling for 24/7 stable at 4.7.

6. If 4.6Ghz is stable for 2 hours of P95 Blend and the temp for Cpu/socket are not above 70c and the core/package temp is not exceeding 62c then you have a little more headroom to (try) look for 4.7Ghz.

I'm gonna start here and i'm definitely reading and rereading the wealth of information and guidance you have provided! So CPU socket temp in my last picture is the 61c I maxed at and package temp is way below at like 47c so i've actually been reading HWmonitor wrong and stopping at a socket temp of 61c which can actually go up another 9c... if this is true then i'm stopping myself way short of what this is capable of and I'm definitely down on the voltage.

Back