• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Post: Oc'd 8350 on air to 4.5ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Give it a bump in CPU V Core and set the memory timings to the XMP profile. Watch the Cpu Temp it's getting close to 70c.

Vdroop or VDDC is something that is new to me in the world of overclocking and as I said i'm here to learn.

I'm going back for another shot at 2 hours of prime95 with a 4.4ghz OC.

I'm up to 1.425 Vcore and noticed at idle my Vcore reads 1.332.

If the voltage is to low at idle and something loads up that is CPU intensive wouldn't that freeze the system? Shouldn't I also be increasing my VDDC to ensure the CPU has power when it needs it?

Also , what increments would this be increased? 0.025 + like a CPU overclock?

Bios pictures coming shortly.

Last edited:
They have moved this thread around over there and changed the editor credits but I found it again. If they have the same settings in your 990FX EVO, then everything said there is relevant to your board. The person who originally wrote the guide was a friend of mine a few years ago and he knows his freeken shett. I read something in it that tripped one of my old memories of things we used to do and making the change fixed my ram right up. Good read man.
RGone...

ASUS Crosshair V Formula BIOS Guide – Overclocking

They have moved this thread around over there and changed the editor credits but I found it again. If they have the same settings in your 990FX EVO, then everything said there is relevant to your board. The person who originally wrote the guide was a friend of mine a few years ago and he knows his freeken shett. I read something in it that tripped one of my old memories of things we used to do and making the change fixed my ram right up. Good read man.
RGone...

ASUS Crosshair V Formula BIOS Guide – Overclocking

reading it right now. There is a very very good chance I will be purchasing that motherboard shortly. My Fiancee will get my m5a99x Evo and i'll be going bigger of course!

With some great success after reading and applying some of the knowledge from that article (Bios are exactely the same btw) and then did a 20minute Prime95 pass with success and decided to up the Ante and go with a 4.5ghz Prime95 pass also with great success and less Vcore then i've ever run at this speed.

1.38Vcore for 4.5ghz. Shows it only used 1.34 and of course the question is.. Can I turn down Vcore a notch and ideally the system should run Prime95 again no prob and should shed a few C's in temp?

Temps are up a bit but not a huge concern, I am going to go back into Bios and find the CPU fan control and see if I can turn that up just a bit. Noise doesn't bother me from my PC as my Headset is a Corsair Vengeance 1500 7.1 surround so I can deal with a little noisier fans.

45ghzPrime95stable.png

We have to ge out of the mindset of turning Vcore down. Overclocking is a game that includes 'upping' the Vcore. Another bump up in speed may need more than 1.38Vcore for sure. If the temp goes 'high' then get better cooling if you want to go further.
RGone...

PS: good work. I think the ROG link is about as good as it gets. Well it is if peeps can read and you can.

We have to ge out of the mindset of turning Vcore down. Overclocking is a game that includes 'upping' the Vcore. Another bump up in speed may need more than 1.38Vcore for sure. If the temp goes 'high' then get better cooling if you want to go further.
RGone...

PS: good work. I think the ROG link is about as good as it gets. Well it is if peeps can read and you can.

Yeah, it was packed full of information that was interesting and 100% relevant to my bios. Every setting I used worked. 4.5ghz stable (for 20 minutes but it's a start) and it looks like I should try a little out of the FSB.

We began using the FSB when the cpu had stopped moving up by multiplier alone. Originally a little extra cpu speed was had without having to raise Vcore hardly any. Like I wrote PM, I always use FSB and keep the other busses under my eye.
RGone...

We began using the FSB when the cpu had stopped moving up by multiplier alone. Originally a little extra cpu speed was had without having to raise Vcore hardly any. Like I wrote PM, I always use FSB and keep the other busses under my eye.
RGone...

Definitely. I just gave a tweak to FSB and was at 4.6ghz that got the temps up fast! 2 minutes in and I was at 58C package and 64C CPU. Put a stop to that fast.

I'm currently trying 4.55ghz with the multiplier down to 22.0 (4.4ghz) and the FSB up to 207 I think for the total clock.

I don't think this one will work either. 2 minutes in and Package is 56C and CPU is 64C...

70c for CPU temp and 60c are the recommends for max temps. Often they rise fast and then settle, so I watch it longer than 2 mins. I would not cry if it got to 71c and 62c if the thing was stable, but make plans for MORE cooling. Why could I not run for the hills if I reached those temps? Because I know I am hammering the shett out of the system and would seldom see that in real life. We do this P95 Blend test to try and ensure that if it takes it hammered-on then it should be okay in normal use.
RGone...

70c for CPU temp and 60c are the recommends for max temps. Often they rise fast and then settle, so I watch it longer than 2 mins. I would not cry if it got to 71c and 62c if the thing was stable, but make plans for MORE cooling. Why could I not run for the hills if I reached those temps? Because I know I am hammering the shett out of the system and would seldom see that in real life. We do this P95 Blend test to try and ensure that if it takes it hammered-on then it should be okay in normal use.
RGone...

Awesome.! Thats what I did.. I sat through it. 67C max Cpu temp and 58C max package.

I noticed it would reach 66C in Prime95 only once every few minutes and would drop to 63C very often.

I did notice an odd phenomenon and captured a picture of it with my phone.

Close to the tail end of the 20 minute run the CPU-Z screen would show CPU was running at 1458.45mhz with a multiplier of 7 instead of 4.56ghz at 22x multiplier.

Is that something to be concerned about?

Sounds like Cool N Quiet or C1E or Windows Power mode is set to balanced OR the heat maybe on VRM or the cpu caused a throttle-back. If that board has an APM = Application Power Management setting, it should be Disabled.

If I remember the Vcore would not drop if it was Windows Power mode being in balanced mode and not performance mode. If the Vcore dropped also with the speed decrease it was not likely Windows power mode doing it.
RGone...

Fugu, have you tried removing the door of the case while stressing it. I wonder if that case is contributing excessively to those temps. They seem a little high for that V Core, though I am kind of spoiled with my set up.

discovered windows power management mode was on Balanced. I swear I put this in performance mode when I first started this thread.
:mad:

Certain types of crashes or lock-ups can cause winders to go back to balanced.

Yeah, like "Mandrake" says did we ever try the side cover off? Been so long running thread I have forgotten. I know way back you were close to getting other cooling anyway.
RGone...

Been a while since i've been on but I wanted to come in and give a special thanks to everyone that helped me achieve a goal of 4.4ghz stable on air. Althought it's not the 4.5ghz I originally wanted, it turned out to be safer, just as fast and very stable.

It's now been 2 months since i've been on this thread and I havn't had a single issue with my setup. No crashes, no Blue Screens, no shutdowns or lost data. I've been able to play on my Racing Sim, Crysis 3 , Battlefield 3 and sadly SimCity without issue.

Thank you to everyone that responded to my thread and helped me learn more about the workings of my PC.

So , I made it 25 minutes into Prime 95 and it ended with a lockup.

I would try 1.4 V or 1.35 V for Vcore. And then funnel some cooler air.
There's a good chance of a lockup when higher than 55 C. Especially with high Vcore OCs.
I was having the same kind of issue too when I had AMD for a daily driver rig. (Reminds me of 2004's T'bred 2400+ KIXJB) (Where past a certain point, it will lockup under Prime95)

And your core temps are likely near 80 C when locking up, just a heads up.

It's not a sign of damage. Just harmless stability issues.

Last edited:
Back