• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Post: Oc'd 8350 on air to 4.5ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

You are a brilliant man! I've inputed all the settings and i'm about to give it a try.

The LLC setting one notch down is Ultra high from Extreme being the top.

I'm about to make this computer HUM!

:mad:

Edit: i'm 5 minutes in and posting from my tablet here as i watch the computer run it's business, my Package temps are not going past 48c and my Cpu socket temp isn't exceeding 63c. This would be doing exceptionally well if i'm right.
Clock is 4.730ghz
Multiplier 23
Bus 205.7
HT 2262

It's running fast and cool! Seeing as how we were -41 C last night why don't I just put my PC outside lol!

Last edited:
We have them that bench with the windows open. Some with computer out on the patio. Some put their radiator on a long leash and suspend it outside in the cold.

Good luck.

You still got a big-arse fan blowing on the VRMs and at cpu socket? You need it.

If that were a Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 board the socket temp would probably be 55c since the VRM circuit is heftier and is not putting off that extra heat that tends to raise the socket temp.
Gone...Again.

That was exciting! Got some heat in it again and got some much needed stability.

PMALbJo.png

As a thank you R-Gone, do you remember my Miata I posted a long time ago, the silver thing with red wheels. I messed that car up really bad so here's a picture as a thank you. I did all the work myself, cage, paint and racing!

20131109_134625.jpg

Sep14-2013153-731.jpg

OH Myata. Hehehe. Looking good man.
RGone...ster.

EDIT:
For sanity sake and knowledge, I would run that P95 Blend for 2 hours and see if all stays in line. It seems it could. At the end of two hours, you should be able to deem yourself pretty darn stable and tweaked pretty well.
END EDIT.

OH Myata. Hehehe. Looking good man.
RGone...ster.

EDIT:
For sanity sake and knowledge, I would run that P95 Blend for 2 hours and see if all stays in line. It seems it could. At the end of two hours, you should be able to deem yourself pretty darn stable and tweaked pretty well.
END EDIT.

4.8 or 4.9 just won't make it eh! I think the jump to 4.8 would require just a bit more Vcore and that would be the absolute limit if not over by the way this is playing out.

4.8 or 4.9 just won't make it eh! I think the jump to 4.8 would require just a bit more Vcore and that would be the absolute limit if not over by the way this is playing out.

Your original failure at 4.7Ghz required a boost of 0.03 to get stable. But that 1.44Vcore that I suggested is at the bottom of what many actually need/require. So 4.8Ghz? You are own your on there man. I showed you the prinicple and some numbers based on the many 100's of these things I have tweaked by the ether and many many hours with my own cpu.

It took me about 2.5 weeks to get my now air-cooled FX-8350 to run 4.7Ghz stable. Hours of very minor adjustments. Got it but you think I would try it by 'text'? Heck no.
RGone...ster.

Fugu, I have one of the lower voltage 8350's out of the group of us, meaning I can usually get to X mhz at slightly less Cpu V then some of the others, ie Johan, Caddi etc. Every chip is different but 1.41 is most likely as Gonester stated way too low. I need 1.46875 with much better cooling for 24/7 stable at 4.7.

I'm at 1.368 at 4.4GHz. I don't imagine I'm going to have huge voltage jumps bumping to higher freq's. My buddy has almost the same build as me and he's at 1.4 at 4.4Ghz. I have no idea why he requires that much voltage.

Your original failure at 4.7Ghz required a boost of 0.03 to get stable. But that 1.44Vcore that I suggested is at the bottom of what many actually need/require. So 4.8Ghz? You are own your on there man. I showed you the prinicple and some numbers based on the many 100's of these things I have tweaked by the ether and many many hours with my own cpu.

It took me about 2.5 weeks to get my now air-cooled FX-8350 to run 4.7Ghz stable. Hours of very minor adjustments. Got it but you think I would try it by 'text'? Heck no.
RGone...ster.

I like the lesson i've gotten in the FSB and CPU-NB tweak and i'll try to use this lesson to take my CPU a little bit farther to inbed the information in my head cause of course whats the point of studying if you don't learn!

I'll try for 4.8ghz but I already know it's a # thats going to be almost unacheivable looking at my temps but it's also something I can get close to with the bit of wiggle room I have left.

0.03 vcore. When I started this thread I was shown that for stability I should increment in steps of 0.025 when it comes to that "fine" tuning it really does become quite fine eh!

Do you have guidelines you can share on what the limits of the Bus and NB settings are, maybe a link to something I can read up on (reliable source as Google provides an overwhelming amount of information that is tedious to weed through and not credible).

Also with the CPU temps, you said not to jump the gun and shut down Prime95's blend if I go slightly above the recommended temps. 71-72-73c okay? I'm not sure what my absolute limit is for a temporary dip in that territory.
:salute:

0.025 rounds up to 0.03.

Ok your HT link speed is at 205.xx times 11 = roughly 2260Mhz

Ok your CPU_NB speed is at 20.5xx times 11 = roughly 2260Mhz.

Raise them to the next notch up which is a 12 multiiplier and will be both at
roughly 2460Mhz for both HT Link speed and CPU_NB speed. You might have to
raise the CPU-NB to 1.28V or so from the 1.25V I have previously said use. It will increase
heat some if you have to raise to go along with the increased CPU_NB but not much. And
mostly on the core/package where you are "more" okay anyway.

Take ram and set to 10, 11, 10, 27, 48 2T for just a little more oomph.

Many chime in with run the PEE out of the HT link speed and the CPU_NB but I have now
come back to the 2400 ish Mhz speed for both of the settings on my system and the thing
just does the work I do video editting so much "smoother" feeling that I did not bother to
try for the 2600 to 2700Mhz range and at 4.7Ghz and ram tighter timed and a bit slower...crap
you don't need all that high HT Link Freq and CPU_NB speed. If I was back to benching at
over 5.0Ghz...yes I might raise those two again, but at sensible and useful 24/7 stuff I have
gone lower and the system seems to be more balanced and fluid. You know sort of like when
the springs and shocks fit the weight of the car and intended use.

Let me see what else you asked in that last post.

Oh yeah the temps thing. 71-72-73c okay? Fine by me. But your board may not like it. Many of the AM3+ cheaper boards and know Giga's do it and maybe the slightly lesser Asus than the Sabertooth and CHV's may actually throttle the load on the VRM by lowering a multiplier at many times dead on 72c Socket temp. Look in your bios for APM and DISABLE it. Problem with that is that the VRMs have to carry on even if they are getting toward overloaded. Lesser boards may blow a mosfet and take some other pricey parts with their blowing.

Now hear and clearly. WE have a couple of d*mn handy, thorough users in this forum that moved away from your board and your girl-friends board because the boards were just not up to the job of supplying voltage oomph to 8 core cpus clocked beyond about 4.5/4.6Ghz. I did not say the boards were shett. I just stated people that are; as you said it "credible", and am telling you of their experience. They are on Sabertooths and CHV's now. Run the big numbers day in and day out. But they were always right on the line of problems when they exceeded or tried to exceed 4.5Ghz or for certain 4.6Ghz.

I started not to even reply when you were asking about 4.7Ghz. Then I remembered your racing rigs and computer for race games I believe it was and said to self...he ain't broke so if it takes a dump he can afford to fix it. An attitude I seldom take in a forum. I feel it most unfair to take that sort of attitude when so many come in with the barest minimum of parts and pieces wanting to overclock their stuff. Stuff that by and large is just not up to 8 cores uh hammering from your friendly AMD heater salesperson.

So now as the deceased Paul Harvey used to say >> "now you know the rest of the story".

Luck man.
RGone...ster.

I'm at 1.368 at 4.4GHz. I don't imagine I'm going to have huge voltage jumps bumping to higher freq's. My buddy has almost the same build as me and he's at 1.4 at 4.4Ghz. I have no idea why he requires that much voltage.
Crazy, there is a group of us here that have overclocked the wee out of our chips. Most of us have pushed our chips into the mid 5's, though non of us will say our chips are stable at those clocks nor tell people we have our chips at those clock speeds. I can browse the net at 5.2, hell I have even ran a game at those clocks but it isn't anywhere near stable, nor would I advertise my voltage to run it there and tell someone that this is where I'm at for a stable OC.

Ask everyone of us what we deem stable, every one of us will say 2 hours prime blend at a minimum. At your 4.4 speed you have not even come close to running 2 hours of Prime, mostly due to your heat issues. Telling someone that you're at 4.4 @ 1.368 doesn't help anyone because in most cases it isn't stable. Pass two hours of prime then lets see what your 4.4 voltage is.

Last edited:
Holly bat shettman; are you getting a little fired up? I could not control myself "mandrake4565". I just had to write that. Thru my LOL anyway. Now you have cracked me up and made my morning. :D

RGonestignatorBobblerzzzzzzzzzzzz :grouphug:.....:rofl:

Crazy, there is a group of us here that have overclocked the wee out of our chips. Most of us have pushed our chips into the mid 5's, though non of us will say our chips are stable at those clocks nor tell people we have our chips at those clock speeds. I can browse the net at 5.2, hell I have even ran a game at those clocks but it isn't anywhere near stable, nor would I advertise my voltage to run it there and tell someone that this is where I'm at for a stable OC.

Ask everyone of us what we deem stable, every one of us will say 2 hours prime blend at a minimum. At your 4.4 speed you have not even come close to running 2 hours of Prime, mostly due to your heat issues. Telling someone that you're at 4.4 @ 1.368 doesn't help anyone because in most cases it isn't stable. Pass two hours of prime then lets see what your 4.4 voltage is.

Tinkered a bit and I hit 64c at the end of the 20 minute 640K run! Still a little hotter then I want.. But it passed at lower voltage which is awesome! 1.44 is no more!
I'm kinda thinking that it wouldn't go much further then the 20 minute tests without getting a bit hotter. Time to tinker more!

eX8farP.png

The temps are looking good. Hey you're a Canuck just open the window a bit and cool the room. Ha ha ha

The temps are looking good. Hey you're a Canuck just open the window a bit and cool the room. Ha ha ha

"johan22.5", what in the heck are all them //////////// in your siggie? U get sum other type rigging?

"fugu'' man your stuff looks good upair at 4.7GeeWhizzes. 64c shown during 2 hours of P95 Blend ain't shett man. Least not with APM disabled. I would be very pleased with that 4.7GeeWhiz and be be prepared to add even just a touch more Vcore if it acted wonky during 2 hours of P95Blend.

RGone...ster.

"johan22.5", what in the heck are all them //////////// in your siggie? U get sum other type rigging?
Johan instead of the //////// you can try the left and center BB codes

left
center

Back