• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Time Computer Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jcharles14

It is my first time building my own computer. I am going to be using it for our security camera system.

My Main question is the motherboard. I cannot decide between these two.

Please help me decide

GigaByte

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007R9CRGW...UTF8&colid=61F5NAWWXSHB&coliid=I3OP8RQDW0E9OE

Intel

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051UY1QI...=UTF8&colid=61F5NAWWXSHB&coliid=IOTVESQHRNJPC

Here are the types of items I am buying

1. Cooler Master HAF 912 Computer Case

2. Intel Core i7-3770 3.4 GHZ LGA 1155

3. Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 600w power supply

4. LG Electronics CD/DVD Drive

5. NZXT Aperture M Card Reader

6. Western Digital 1TB Hard Drive

The NZXT Card Reader has 3.0 ports on the front. It requires to be plugged in to a 3.0 header. I would like to have the 3.0 functionality on this reader.

So far I am leaning towards the Intel motherboard, but it does not have a usb 3.0 header.

I would appreciate any other advice I can get.

You're gonna use a 70$ motherboard on a 350$ chipset?

And what do you mean "Security camera system"?

You're gonna use a 70$ motherboard on a 350$ chipset?

And what do you mean "Security camera system"?

Yes because I'm trying to keep my build under budget. I am also not looking for a real fancy hyped up motherboard .

I have some software that runs some wireless ip cameras.
I need a good CPU to support these so that's why I chose the i7-3770 and also because the software program I have listed i7 as one of the recommended options

Yes because I'm trying to keep my build under budget. I am also not looking for a real fancy hyped up motherboard .

I have some software that runs some wireless ip cameras.
I need a good CPU to support these so that's why I chose the i7-3770 and also because the software program I have listed i7 as one of the recommended options

Lets rephrase this so no wires are getting crossed

1) what is your budget?

2) what is the surveillance program you are using?

3) what are all the uses of this computer?

It was originally 300 , but now it's 600$ . I do not want to go any higher.
The i7 -3770 I found one on amazon for $299.

The surveillance program is blue iris.

The uses will be 24/7 video monitoring for 6 ip cams, recording to hdd. Viewing video files. I am using the card reader to be able to quickly save images and video when I need to. It will be dedicated to blue iris though. I may use it for occasional browsing and other general tasks

600$ with i7 and usb 3.0 support...

This is probably the direction I would go.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tgs2bv

i7 3770

MSI z77a-g41 board (has usb 3.0, HDMI output off the board, well built board with good warranty)

Corsair 1333mhz ram x8gb (PLENTY of ram, speed isn't a huge deal either).

Recording video takes up space... Managed to squeeze a 2tb Seagate Barracuda drive.

Zalman Z5 case (has expansion slots, decent, sturdy design. Doesn't look tacky)

Corsair CX430 Psu (430w is probably 3 times what you need, certainly dont need 700 haha)

LG dvd burner drive

NZXT card reader

Total : 593.87 shipped.

*yikes

Why are you guys talking about 2 generation old technology? The current i7 of choice is the 4790 and a Z97/B/H motherboard. I would personally go with a decent H97 motherboard myself. The current chipsets have numerous advantages over the Z77 chipset including 6X3rd gen SATA6 ports, Sata Express ports, M.2 ports, etc. $290+ for a 3770 in 2014? If you want to get robbed, buy that. If you don't, spend the same money on the brand new part.

Do NOT buy an Ivybridge part. We're on Haswell Refresh now. That's 2 generations later.

Last edited:
I didn't think I could go with a higher model CPU within my budget but I guess it's possible to get more for less now . ok I'm going to take a look at all These options now. Thx

With the 4790, you need a Z97 based motherboard, unless that motherboard has an updated bios for the CPU. Check the MSI website and see if it does, otherwise, get a Z97 based board.

I don't see why you need a $300 processor for a security camera system. Is it that CPU and thread intensive? Why not a 4670?

Intel says it's compatible with the z87 -g43 with the minimum bios level at 1.0.
Otherwise maybe I should just go back to the i7-3770 CPU and get a different motherboard to keep the cost low.

Check what MSI said... its their board and shows the list and with what bios.

According to MSI the bios needs to be v1.7: http://us.msi.com/product/mb/Z87G43.html#/?div=CPUSupport

I'm not sure how, if it doesn't come with the bios how it will work. It could work well enough to flash and then get full functionality (it should is my GUESS) or it could not boot at all.

Again, not sure why you think you need so many cores and threads for running this stuff... You can probably save $100 or so if you took the time to confirm if the CPU is that threaded and intensive.

I don't see why you need a $300 processor for a security camera system. Is it that CPU and thread intensive? Why not a 4670?

I thought it was ridiculous myself, but apparently those programs do benefit heavily from i7's when you have multiple cameras installed.

There are plenty of Z97 boards you can choose from in that price range or cheaper even. A Gigabyte board should fit bill easy.

With the 4790, you need a Z97 based motherboard, unless that motherboard has an updated bios for the CPU. Check the MSI website and see if it does, otherwise, get a Z97 based board.

I find that hard to believe. 5th gen chipset can't support 5th gen CPU? What is that about? Are you sure you can't run a non K 4790 on an H97 board?

My current computer is dell optiplex with an intel core 2 duo and with blue iris the whole computer just freezes and CPU being at 100%. So the faster the processor the better

Back