• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First WC Mod. DangerDen/Antec900 Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
LOL i have no clue man i just made that up, you did a great job with your cable management you actually forced me to redo my case because it was a jungle in there...and i thought i would get it ready for my WC setup

and to be honest this case isnt bad if your 1. Handy 2. Motivated 3. Educated to play around with it....educated as in you read around on what others did

A small increase isn't bad, but your putting more stress on your mosfets, I think.

I pencil modded and only got an increase of .01v, mostly it stays stable. But I went ahead and bought a couple packs of the Enzontech Mosfet HS's and stuck them every one I could find.

Now i'm just going off of what I think is solid advice from someone else but, vDroop is there on some boards as a safeguard and pencil modding creates more heat and stress. Thus more cooling is needed. Even if i'm wrong, it's not a bad idea anyway.

Great job on that loop. The only thing differently I would of done is use a res instead of a fill port, eliminating that T-line. And maybe putting the Rad outside of the case. I really want to see someone use those rubber gromets on the back of the case. I still have my 900, the top grill and fan got busted up though. It's begging me to do another build.

Last edited:
a) Thx for posting Sars,
b) You are right, it does put more stress on the mosfets. I can notice more heat coming from that area already. I have MosFet Sinks on the way, but for now I have my antec spot cooler blowing over the cpu area on highspeed.
c) I'm afraid I used up all my imagination shoehorning a WC loop into this 900 and doing all the cable management. A tline with a small fillport res. was the only way I could keep all the components I wanted and have everything internal. I could have forgone the res all together I suppose, but it looks cool. I'm just not too big on external components I'm afraid. This project was more of a "challenge yourself to fit it all in and still make it look good" kind of thing. You follow?
d) The rubber grommets may still get some use if I decide to WC my GPU and Mosfets in a separate loop. Then I'll do a external Rad. I'd like to try one of those Thermochills anyway.

Out of curiosity, where would you have placed a reservoir, and what type would you have used? It may still be possible.
Thx,

Last edited:
i would definitely put, at the least, a set of those enzotech (or similar) mosfet sinks on your board. at both undervolt, stock, and increased vcore, my mosfets are cool at light usage and idle. however, stressing the system, they burn up to where you cant touch for more than a sec.

you mentioned WC your mosfets.. i personally think thats a waste. maybe if oyur board works will with mosfet WC blocks, buti just see it limiting flow and increasing chances of leak. good airflow and sinks should suffice. the more experienced out there can correct me if i am wrong.

i havent done any mods to my board and i can currently run 8x400 on my E6600 with vcore set to 1.296 in bios. at this low vcore, cpuz reads no drop. droop is 0.031, moving it down to 1.264 at load. temps are 28 idle and 42 load. those temps are when i am running in silent mode :) thats what i call it since i am used to the loud 9700LED fan running. the loudest thing in the system is the light click of the hdds. (it is situated on my desk at the moment, on the floor probably wouldnt hear a thing). increase fan speeds, idles at room temp and loads maybe 2 degrees cooler.

if oyu pencil modded, you definitely want some sinks on your mosfets.

edit: looking above at pics.. does your board have stock coolers on the mosfets already? i cannot tell

Yes, they do have the stock sinks on the mosfets. With the spot cooler blowing constant air over them and straight up through the exhaust, they stay a decent temp. I am a bit skeptical of them though from what I've read http://www.bjorn3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12302 (a few more like this post if you google)
What I plan on doing is sticking some low profile enzo's on the R50 Resistors(I think that's what they are) and removing and inspecting the TIM under the stock Mosfet HS's. After that, I should be good to go. While I've got the board out, I was thinking about playing around with the tubing configuration a little bit too.

a) Thx for posting Sars,
b) You are right, it does put more stress on the mosfets. I can notice more heat coming from that area already. I have MosFet Sinks on the way, but for now I have my antec spot cooler blowing over the cpu area on highspeed.
c) I'm afraid I used up all my imagination shoehorning a WC loop into this 900 and doing all the cable management. A tline with a small fillport res. was the only way I could keep all the components I wanted and have everything internal. I could have forgone the res all together I suppose, but it looks cool. I'm just not too big on external components I'm afraid. This project was more of a "challenge yourself to fit it all in and still make it look good" kind of thing. You follow?
d) The rubber grommets may still get some use if I decide to WC my GPU and Mosfets in a separate loop. Then I'll do a external Rad. I'd like to try one of those Thermochills anyway.

Out of curiosity, where would you have placed a reservoir, and what type would you have used? It may still be possible.
Thx,

You could probably use a Swiftech MicroRes. You can use them internaly and externaly.

I'm using one on the back of my Armor at the top for my VGA loop. I ordered Danger Den compression fittings and they screw right on.

There are a bunch of internal ones at FrozenCPU. I went with the swifty for the price, but I think they are outta stock on those. Of course I would suggest this for your future VGA loop seeing how you already drilled a hole in your case and did such a nice job of it too. As long as all the air is bled out of the system you should be OK.

Attachments

• Picture%20019[1].jpg
    Picture%20019[1].jpg
    48 KB · Views: 1,389
Yes, they do have the stock sinks on the mosfets. With the spot cooler blowing constant air over them and straight up through the exhaust, they stay a decent temp. I am a bit skeptical of them though from what I've read http://www.bjorn3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12302 (a few more like this post if you google)
What I plan on doing is sticking some low profile enzo's on the R50 Resistors(I think that's what they are) and removing and inspecting the TIM under the stock Mosfet HS's. After that, I should be good to go. While I've got the board out, I was thinking about playing around with the tubing configuration a little bit too.

If you have your board out you might want to check your NB and SB TIM's and most likely replace them too.

Edit: Duh, nevermind. what do you have on your SB now?

lol
I have that crappy EVGA SB cooler on there. It's all I had available to me at the time that I took off the heatpipe solution and put on the CPU and NB waterblocks. It's ultra loud and vibrates like crazy. I had to wedge a piece of AV gel between the Middle PCIx slot and the fan housing to get it to quiet down. I have an enzotech SB HS with fan on the way from petra's along with all the other sinks. It will be replaced when I take the board out for all the other work.

Thx guys,

Well, I did an overhaul on my system the other day, here's what happened.

Decided to take some advice and shroud my rad. intakes. Check it out:

These Scythe SS1900's were way too loud anyway.
img0439vn2.jpg

Countersink the screws to get the proper amount of thread end as to not puncture the rad. fins.
img0444xh8.jpg

img0441ao6.jpg

The finished product mounted back in the bay:
img0446gd3.jpg

Popped out the mobo to reseat the Water Blocks, get some loctite on those mounting pegs and try out some AS Ceramique. Also took the opportunity to remove the stock HS from my MOSFETS and replace them with individual Enzotech sinks. The R50's got their own sinks as well. Much cooler environment around the CPU now. My South Bridge got an Enzotech hat too. Have a look:
img0450il3.jpg

img0447ol2.jpg

Also popped in a new exhaust fan over the expansion slots for the lower intake.
img0493qb0.jpg

Well, that's about wraps it up for this build. I think I'm done for a while.
Thx for watching.

can you shrink those photos down? too hard to see on my 15" laptop.

Yea, I really don't know why image shack will display some the size of the bottom picture and the rest are super large. I don't like the big pictures either.

Anyone know something about imageshack that I don't?

What's the noise like for that Enzotech southbridge fan? Noticable, annoying, or pretty quiet, on its own forgetting about the other fans.

Last edited:
Very high pitch. It's the kind of noise that you just get used to and don't notice anymore. If you have your case on a floor mount or somewhere not near you, you prob won't notice it.
It, and the spot cooler are by far the loudest fans though.
Compared to the stock SB cooler, it's much more tolerable.

19" at max res, i can read the serial number of the fan from across the road. Shrink em or make it a clicky link.

Holy...I just looked up specs for the fan and it runs at 8000RPM. Haha, that must be really high-pitched, but you say it's not particularly loud? How does it compare to the Yateloons..

Holy...I just looked up specs for the fan and it runs at 8000RPM. Haha, that must be really high-pitched, but you say it's not particularly loud? How does it compare to the Yateloons..
Seriously, the sound of the 4 yates on my rad. cranked down to 1200RPM pretty much drowns the noise of the SB fan out. You can certainly notice a difference when you unplug it while the system's running, but of course then you have the side panel off. It keeps my SB at ~45deg while OC'd so I'd say it was worth the money, and most likely one of the best SB coolers out there.

Ok, a bit of an update on the OC scene.

I very recently upped the CPU multi from 8x400 to 9x400. All's well and my temps are fairly impressive.

Ambient ~23degC. CPU Idle @ 3.6GHz - 1.4 Vcore
36idleln9.png

CPU Load @ 3.6GHz - 1.4 Vcore - Prime Stable for 1/2hr and running.
36loadlu2.png

I'll post back when I'm 24hrs prime stable, then it's on to 4GHz.

Edit: I've since removed some of the pencil from my pencil mod. Looks like I was getting a reverse droop from idle to load. Now sitting at an even 1.379 across the board.

Last edited:
Back