• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FIX: nvlddmkm.sys has stopped responding and has recovered [VISTA ERROR]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
But i'm surprised if ppl change all their hardware n still get this error!! coz its as good as getting the error on a brand new rig!![/QUOTE said:
I convinced myself, after trying the hardware route, that I definitely had a software error as just prior to a reformat/reinstall, removing files as the JB method suggested cured my problems.

You could always 'splash out' on a 4Gb memory kit which would be a lot less trouble than a new mobo Bruce -

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...d_id=1&model=M2N-MX+SE&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

Ray

hey all. thought id add my piece to this never ending maze of windows vista gaming hell. for years ive used xp on my old system with no problems at all. today i bought and built the system in my sig and bought a copy of vista 32bit with it. its very quick, played warcraft for an hour or so at max everything with no stutter, awesome. just installed crysis and updated it, played for 15 mins and i get this error......4 times in a row. after reading this thread im feeling like ive been robbed by microsoft. new equipment, new everything(almost, the gpu was in my old system) and it doesnt work. any update on a fix yet?

ps, everything is @ stock speed atm..

thanks

Hi guys'n'gals

I've registered so I can share my experience with this wonderful little error.

I've recently bought a BFG GTX 285 OC+ (and a new power supply to handle it) and from the get go was getting the dreaded crashes and error message when playing games.

I've read through most of this thread (at work, don't tell the boss!) and tried many of the solutions mostly to no avail. Tho I do salute Jen and everyone else for the work they've put into this.

I finally sorted it last night, I downloaded NTune, installed it and slightly underclocked the card - Core clock at 665 instead of 675 and Memory at 2500 instead of 2520. Did a clean install of the latest drivers from nVidia and it worked like a dream, so much so I was up til 1.30am playing Dead Space :clap:

I'm thinking, at least in my case, it's just pre-overclocked cards that just aren't up to the job, and while i'm only applying a small reduction in speed to get it to work will still be RMA'ing it in the hope of getting one that works at the advertised speeds.

Keep up the good work folks and thanks for all the help this thread gave.

I'm a new victim of this problem which I see has been around for years.

I tried to deal with it myself;

1.) I did that (expand.exe nvlddmkm.sys nvlddmmkm.sy_) and take ownership stuff in safe mode, deleted them, restarted my computer in regular mode, wala they where still there.

2.) I bought a $40 harddrive and installed a fresh copy of vista on it, tadaa, that list of nvlddmkm showed up still, my games wouldnt run without the crashes.

3.) I thought ok, it does something to the memory stick too.
I bought another $40 harddrive and a $45 cosair memory(4 gigs),
I again installed vista fresh on the 2nd harddrive with new memory, nvlddmkm is still there.

4.) My next thought is that its my motherboard itself, (evga 680i lt motherboard) Perhaps I might get a new Asus motheboard, new harddrive, new memory and install vista again fresh to see if nvlddmkm is gone for good.

What in hell kind of driver is this nvlddmkm?, and why nvidia, microsoft, evga, heck any big tech company, seems to have ignored so many people's plight?

I'm just frustrated and irritated and at such a loss.

i cant believe this is still a problem!

maybe its just on older NV cards?

I honestly have not seen this since v64 was released, and i was on an 8800gts320 :O

I recently found out what happened, it was a powersupply issue.

I had my powersupply fan blowing in the wrong direction in the case (antec 1200 has the psu sitting at the bottom of the case, not top) and with a 9800gtx+ power hungry card starts cracking, power was failing.

I switched my psu upside down so that the fan blows upward toward the top, now my games run.

But I may have heat damaged the psu cause I get the nvlddmkm but now its flicker fast, its like a blink, but the game stays on.

My fault, guess I need to get another 750watt psu.

i have a GTX 285 and i get this problem when i play high end games. it can happen anywhere from 5 min into the game and up. Driving me up the wall. i have all of the updates and such.

i cant believe this is still a problem!

maybe its just on older NV cards?

I honestly have not seen this since v64 was released, and i was on an 8800gts320 :O

i have a GTX 285 and i get this problem when i play high end games. it can happen anywhere from 5 min into the game and up. Driving me up the wall. i have all of the updates and such.

I guess its been over 6 weeks after my last post... I am not sure if everyone is having the same problem but symptoms are alike!

My system has been running rock stable (touchwood) ever since i figured out the RAM thing... ya i still dont have the guts to go to default clocks for GPU!:-/

Just to update, i am not sure if it was a faulty RAM or RAM slot.. coz when i dont put a RAM stick in the slot closer to the processor, my system is stable! Since i had 2 x 1GB DDR2 667 Transcend memory.. i was now running only on 1GB since 4 weeks... couple of weeks back i picked up a single stick 2GB 800MHz Transcend stick and put it on the "good" slot...:D

system is still doing great!! as of now i dont care what was the root cause.. coz i think for now, i've found a solution... hope it works for u guys as well... have played Crysis after over a year! my god.. i cant believe i never played a single decent PC game since august 2008!!! now i am free! :attn:

Now i have re

People apologies for being AWOL again, family member passed away recently. Will be resuming my life in due course. Just wanted to let people know I will reply to all the messages.

Where do you copy the NVL file too after you use the expand method? The only NVL files I have are two, one being located in system32/drivers and the other in an nv_disp folder in FileRepo.

I just built a computer a few weeks ago, and everything has been working perfectly fine until yesterday.

While working in after effects I start seeing these weird artifacts go across my screen. They are green, black, & white blocks that cover my screen in a random patterns. Then my screen goes black and comes back with a popup that reads "Display Driver has Stopped Responding and Has Recovered" (sometimes it shows nvlddmkm, sometimes it doesn't). This happens three or four times before I get the blue screen of death and my computer reboots. Even when I go into bios to check the temperatures I see these artifacts appearing (temperatures are all good btw).

The computer is now a bit sluggish (compared to the lightning fast speeds it had just a few days ago). I have tried reinstalling my drivers and installing older drivers, and so far nothing helps.

I'm freaking out :confused::bang head:shrug:

I guess I found this forum too late. I've had this problem for months, and I tried removing all my nvlddmkm.sys files, every single last one of them. Now my computer won't get into the log in screen to my desktop. It just sits there with a cursor on a black screen and after 10-15 minutes gives me an error logon.scr or something like that. How do I get back into my computer? I tried safe mode, normal, I have no idea what to do I'm just staring at a black screen for hours. Is there a way to get back into my computer?:bang head

how do you guys get this to happen? i havent seen this error since vista came out! maybe unstable oc?

from the screen you posted Sumguy, I would change:

DRAM Static Read Control On
Boost to 0 or Auto
FSB Termination voltage to 1.2
DRAM voltage 2.06ish
NB voltage to 1.3-1.35, or even 1.4
CPU GTL x.65
NB GTL x.67

Once you get you CPU GTL set, you might be able to lower your vcore to 1.4, maybe a little less. But test em first :)

hey guys, it's been a couple months and I haven't been able to play online games at all, because I get glitchy screen and the stupid nvlddmkm.sys error, anyways here's a post I made on one of the games I have the problem on to better describe my problem and my dxdiag is in there too, idk if it's ok to copy paste my whole dxdiag onto here. I want to play games again ~_~

http://forum.ntreev.net/pangya/forums/t/4498.aspx

Ok... my system was absolutely stable for over 3 months after i found a "solution" to the problem... So if JenBell can recollect, i was getting this on Win XP pro as well as Vista!

After way too many trials i realized that if i underclock the card to 40% of its potential and i dont use the RAM slot which is closer to my CPU, i dont get the error! i din get the error for over 3 months... but at times, the desktop wud freeze... and then get back to normal shortly.. never got a BSOD.

Then, while playing GT Legends, always noticed that on one particular track, the game wud cause the monitor to switch off!! and game wud hang... have to do a hard restart.

I thought it cud be some bug in the game causing it to crash.. but heck no! when i removed the graphics card and played with on-board card, the game worked well and i cud complete that track! :O

Then i installed Win7 beta... as soon as i logged in (ofcourse rivatuner is not installed in win7), the artifacts came up and i got the NVL error! :(

Then never attempted Win7... Now when i'm playing on XP, after a few minutes of gameplay, the screen wud switch off and game hangs!!

I removed the 8600GT card and tried with on-board 6150 card... all above games work well, although terribly slower!

I was convinced that its a GPU overheating problem... but now it seems it has saturated down even to the lower clocking speeds!! :(

Back