• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Flash & Chromium

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silver_Pharaoh

Likes the big ones n00b Member
I switched to Chromium from Google chrome recently, everything went smooth except that I can't play embedded youtube videos like some found here on OCF...
Oddly though, I can watch videos on youtube itself just fine...

When I right click on it I get this:
ytube.PNG

Also, flash is not listed in my plugins page even though I just ran the installer and restarted Chromium.
Any ideas?

Last edited:
Solved!

You have to manually add the flash PPAPI plugin to Chromium, then modify the shortcut with a few line to show Chromium where the plugin is.
This <-- website explains it very well and shows you how to do it :)

What are the advantages of this browser vs Chrome?

No auto updating.

Chrome vs. Chromium, there's little difference besides Google Chrome supporting more file types natively and flash built in.

It's a matter of preference really, but no auto updates is what I love about it. :)

Huh?

Google Chrome > At the "URL Address Bar", type: chrome://plugins

In the listed plugins, find the plugin named "Google Update" > Disable

Huh?

Google Chrome > At the "URL Address Bar", type: chrome://plugins

In the listed plugins, find the plugin named "Google Update" > Disable
Huh.

Never noticed that in the plugins page :-/

Chromium is an open source project of a simple web browser for which Google Chrome is Based on.

Google Chrome is Google's proprietary, closed-source implementation of a browser mostly based on Chromium. The Google Chrome installer includes some other software Google has bundled (like Google's update software, a Flash Player Plug-in, a printing extension, etc.) and appears to provide for Google to monitor user/client-side data. Google Chrome also has many client restrictions that are not present in the Chromium base. The entirety of the differences are obfuscated due to Google Chrome being closed-source.

Google does have strong influence/control in the development of Chromium and much of its code is from Google.

Thanks zzzzzzzzzz, I wasn't able to find out if Chrome was still closed source since. I thought it wasn't anymore since Chromium has become more popular, and Chrome is based upon Chromium.

The Google Chrome installer... appears to provide for Google to monitor user/client-side data.
Yea. It's not just the add-ons, data collection has always been a major concern about Google Chrome.

There has always been this notion that Firefox does not collect as much personal data as Google Chrome.

Could you post more on how Chromium is diffefent in that regard?

Yea. It's not just the add-ons, data collection has always been a major concern about Google Chrome.

There has always been this notion that Firefox does not collect as much personal data as Google Chrome.

Could you post more on how Chromium is diffefent in that regard?
I am not sure which regard you are referring to, but here is my response to what I am guessing you want to know:

First some notes: I have not tested newer Firefox version series than the 24 series. My own use Google Chrome is limited to earlier version(s), but after the inclusion of Chrome Frame. I had used some versions of Chromium, particularity near the end of support for Chromium Frame.

Up through Firefox 24 series, The Firefox browser (which is open-source) may collect client data that may be helpful for its browser development. This may include some client information, but the information may be important for the development purpose (such as the URL of a page that resulted in the crashing of the browser). The various data collection features are optional and may be disabled (and some by default in various versions).

In contrast, Google Chrome collects much more, seemingly, for Google's own, non-browser purposes. Also, although not Google Chrome necessarily itself, the installer and and the bundled software install the software in a manner expected of malware. After my tests, I had rejected Google Chrome due to my general policy against malware and also due to its rather lacking User Interface and printing support.

Chromium, lacks the closed-source monitoring "features" of Google Chrome. On its surface, it does appear to be so geared to necessarily to make information available to Google; there are options to send Google information to Google (I forgot what information) and references to "Google Chrome" within it (but are not visible by default). Though I sometimes retain a copy of some (now older) versions of Chromium on some systems, I typically do not use use or recommend it due to its lacking User Interface and printing features.

Back