• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Forum Wars 2008 (Summer Warz)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Deanzo

Benchmarking Senior Member
Hello OCF members.

As some of you will know, OCF has won the last two Forum Wars :clap:

And it's time to do it all over again.
As it stands each forum has a team of 18 players, (6 teams of 3) that count to the over all score. A forum can have more players than that, though those members scores wont count to the over all forum total.

Stock testing starts Sept 5th and goes for two week. Anyone wanting to play must enter a stock score.

If this is something you would like to take part in, please fell free to post in this thread and let me know.

If you are reading this and have no idea what I'm going on about (most of the time I don't even know :beer:) please have a read of the below.

Hello... My name is Raymond Roy (Raymo)
I am the CEO of The Raptor Pit
http://www.theraptorpit.com/forum/index.php?act=idx

I want to invite your forum to a benching contest against other forums.
This contest is called "Forum Wars" and is put on twice a year.

"Winter Warz 2008" is coming up at the Start of September.
All PC's are welcome to join, the target for each forum is 18 players.
If you have less, then players may enter a 2nd system (see rules) to fill out the Target # of players.
This is a Team competition.
The Teams will have 3 players on each with your best players on the UE & A Team. (UE,A,B,C,D & E Teams)
The best combination of final rankings determines the overall winner.
Last year we had over 175 players from many forums...
The Bench's used will be....
Geekbench (32bit version only)
3D01
Aquamark3
3D Mark 05
PCPIT - (CPU & Mem Scores)
Super PI (version 1.5)
Wprime 32 (version 1.55)

This is our 4th year sponsoring this event, there will be some very nice random drawing prizes.

Please see the rules for a full explaination...
http://www.theraptorpit.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1968

Please indicate if your interested at....
http://www.theraptorpit.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1992

Thank you for your time.
Raymo

The Rules

The Spirit of the Games...[/color] This is very Important!
Tweaks are allowed, FSB, Multi, Htt, Memory,Voltage, VGA Bus & Mem... ect
Cheats are not, Ram drives, no on-the-fly affinity modifications, modifing Drivers ect
Note... not all has been mentioned here, just keep in mind "The Spirit of the Games"
Penelties for violating this will be harsh.[/b]

****** EVERYBODY READ ******
These are the rules voted on, this thread will be locked.
If you have a question regarding any part of the rules, please state your concern on the Rules thread.

Summer Warz 2008

Summer Warz Dates......
Prelim/Stock Testing: Sept 5th - 19th (Hardware upgrade cut off is the 19th)
Picking Rosters/Teams: Sept 20th - 26th
Go to War: Sept 27th - Oct 18th

All deadlines are on 11:59 CST US & Mexico

All Players MUST register at HWBOT for their Home Forums, Wprime 32, Super PI & Aquamark3 will be submitted there and links to your scores will be required on your scoring posts. Submitting the rest of your bench's to HWBOT is not required, but your forum would greatly appreciate it in the team rankings.
If your forum is not registered at HWBOT, You will need to do that 1st (It's easy, dont worry)
Bench's used for Summer Warz and their Score weighting
Geekbench (10x score) (32bit version only)
3D01 (true score)
Aquamark3 (strict Screenshot rules) (33% score)
3D05 (3x score)
PCPIT - (CPU & Mem Scores) (12x score)
Super PI (7 sec = 120000 score) (version 1.5)
Wprime 32 (7 sec = 120000 score) (version 1.55)
****** All benchmarks can be found at www.nofearcomputers.com ******

IMPORTANT***
Links to your scores are REQUIRED when posting a score.
Screenshot Rules: ALL Screenshots REQUIRE (2) CPUz & a Timestamp.
AQUAMARK REQUIRES (2) Screenshots (1) of the score page & (1) of the results page showing the score at the bottom with (2)CPUz, GPUz & a timestamp.
SUMMER WARZ 2008 CLASSES

Unlimited Xtreme Class (better have something in your wallet) (3 player teams)
No upgrade restrictions
ES chips allowed except unreleased architectures
No cooling restrictions
Anything goes...

The "A" class (3 player teams)
Unlimited downgrades per team
No Unreleased ES chips
No liquid nitrogen, cascades or dry ice... single stage vapo, Peltier, water, and air are OK
Quad SLI/CF OK

The "B" class (3 player teams)
No Unreleased ES chips
Air or Water cooling only
Quad SLI/CF OK

The "C" class (3 player teams)
No Unreleased ES chips
3 GPU Maximum (Can be a 3870X2/1(or 4870X2/1), 3x 3870, or tr-SLI)

The "D" class (3 player teams)
No Unreleased ES chips
2 GPU Maximum (Can be a 3870X2/9800GX2 or SLI/CF)

The "E" class (3 player teams)
No Unreleased ES chips
Core 2 Extreme (QXxxx0) not allowed
1 GPU Maximum (no 3870X2/9800GX2 or SLI/CF)

The Rules......
Two systems per player maximum, 1 is reccommended
Second systems can be added to fill out the rosters (only 1 system can be on the A Team)
The 2nd Rig must have a different CPU and Reduced VGA.
Reduced VGA means if you use SLI, you cannot use the same set up on your 2nd Rig, you can only use 1 card.
But if you have a lesser set of VGA cards... thats OK!
Standard HDD performance tuning (like RAID) on ATA, SATA, SATA II are ok. No limit on # of HDD's.
Ram or Virtual Drives are not allowed. SSD's are ok.
Acceptable Operating Systems: Windows 2000, XP, Server 2003 or Vista and all variants of each (32-bit/64-bit, home/pro/ultimate, etc.)
Acceptable Drivers: ALL (No driver limitation)
Acceptable Hardware: All (except unreleased ES chips and similar)
NO UPGRADES after Prelim Deadline, None... Period! (RMA's & Downgrades are ok, subject to validation for lesser hardware).
Forum Police can deny any posted score if not properly submitted
The Forum Wars Judges will vote on All Questionable scores
The "Police Station" is where the forum police will post a poll and discuss scores and rule clarifications.
This forum will be password protected.
All Forum Police will be registered in our Database and all scores will be entered into the database
then transferred to our spreadsheet. Then tabulated and posted on the TRP website (usually twice a week).
***No Unreleased hardware may be used in Team Scoring...

Ultra cooled is defined as: Dry Ice, Liquid Nitrogen and Cascades
(you dont have to redo all your tests to post an updated Score)

Participating Forums......
ALL FORUMS AND PLAYERS MUST REGISTER AT HWBOT
Each Forum must provide their own Forum Police (2 to 5 is preferred)
All cops will have access to "Forum Wars Police Station and the Courthouse" and the Database for Score entries
If a Forum has no forum cops they will be REQUIRED to post at The Raptor Pit on the Scoring thread.
Participating Forums need to create 3 threads
A discussions thread that I can link to from the main site for checking each other out and taunting
A closed "SUMMER WARZ 2008 SCORING" thread (not hidden) (where all scores will be posted)
An "Forum player entry thread" to Recruit your Players and Cops
And of coarse... a passworded private forum for your players only.
Forums that wish NOT to Field an A Team will be required to have AT LEAST a B team
Teams and Catagories......
Unlimited Xtreme, A thru E Teams...3 players per team (6 teams count toward the Overall)
No limit on Quad placement (but higher team placement is reccomended)
Ultra cooled Rigs will ONLY be allowed in the Unlimited Xtreme Class
The Slacker class wil be used for all the late entries and do not count toward the overall
The Slacker class is unlimited... Anything Goes!!!
The Preferred Roster is to have your best players on the "A Team", second best on the "B Team" and so forth.
Ultimately you can build your rosters as you wish. (see bonus points)
Overall Scoring......
Forum final rankings from Unlimited Xtreme thru E teams are added up and the lowest total wins the overall
Tiebreakers are fewest # of penryns, quads & SLI/CF rigs, Forum players then coinflip
If multiple Teams from the same forum exist in each class, only the highest scoring team's ranking goes toward the "Overall" and "Bonus Points"
Bonus Points.......
When a forum (at the end of the wars) has their highest scores on their A Team, they will recieve 1 ranking point
When their B team has the second best score, they get another ranking point
When their C team has the 3rd best score, they get 1 last ranking point. (3 bonus points Max)
This will only effect forums with a full or mostly full complement of players (18)
The bonus ranking points are totaled then deducted from the forums overall score.
As you already know... the lowest ranking wins the overall and 2 or 3 deductions can mean alot.
So most of the larger forums will comply by putting their best players on the A, hopefully their second best on B and maybe
play around with the rest of their players for best position with in the remaining teams. or stick it out and make their C
team their third best either by design or by accident....
Teams that wish NOT to Field an "A Team" will be required to have a "B Team" and are NOT eligable for the Ranking
bonuses.....
Forums can place a team in any class, but have a much less chance of winning the overall

The Judges:
Coolcase (ASUS Independent)
Meltdown (Xtreme CPU)
Deanzo (OC Forums)
Intel Guy (PC Pitstop)
Luis GT (The Raptor Pit)
Jammin (OverClockers Club)
Raymo (The Raptor Pit)

FWs08 judges can participate as a player like anyone else in their forum, but if there is an issue involving them personally or a member of their forum, they are not allowed to vote as a judge.

These rules will not be modified in any form.
Any concern about the wording on specific issues will be voted on by the Forum Warz Judges.
The polling outcome will be final and not be disputed.
Any additions or clarifications approved by the administration will be added separately to the rules as ammendments, with no alteration to the original wording of these rules.

*** Disclaimer***
TRP (The Raptor Pit) will not be responsable for any damaged, broken, bent or burned hardware as a result of Overclocking a Personal Computer. Any Player that Overclocks his/her PC... does so at their own risk and will not hold (TRP) responsable... If you enter (by posting a score) then you accept this agreement.

Any questions, feel free to ask :)

I am down for D or E class.

EDIT:
e8400 or Q6700 water cooled (got a dice/ln2 pot, but don't think it will help against the es/extreme chips)
1x or 2x HD4870, 8800gt, or HD3870

Last edited:
Great stuff, I should have also said...List what hardware and cooling you have to work with, so I can work out who should go where.

If I can get the rampage extreme and the other 3870 X2 by the 5th...I will put my hat in for the "B" Class

Hopefully:

Rampage Extreme
2x1GB DDR3 Ballistixs
E3110 w/ 120 TRUE
2x 3870X2's

Dont know how well that system will do against quads though...but you just never know :)

If I can get the rampage extreme and the other 3870 X2 by the 5th...I will put my hat in for the "B" Class

Hopefully:

Rampage Extreme
2x1GB DDR3 Ballistixs
E3110 w/ 120 TRUE
2x 3870X2's

Dont know how well that system will do against quads though...but you just never know :)

You have untill the 19th ;)

And that setup will rock!

You have untill the 19th ;)

And that setup will rock!

I should have everything in by then and some time to get used to the new BIOS...so as of right now...count me in...

If all works out well it should...the only hardware I will be "worried" about would be the 4870 X2's and the EQ's...would be better if someone would "loan" me a 8600 during that time :santa:

I'm in...again

Count me in again Dean! :beer:

Maximus Extreme on H2O :cool:
Q6600 or E8600 on water or SSPC (if I can get it fixed in time...I'll try)
I NEED SOME BETTER DDR3!!! :temper:
x2 4870 (maybe I'll try to sell one of my 4870's and pick up an X2)

Sorry, going to have to sit this one out. I have school coming up very shortly and have to get ready :-/

Since XS doesn't do Forum Wars, Todd mentioned this to me. So long as I can 1) Compete in Unlimited Xtreme and 2) Don't have to switch HWBot teams, I'm willing to throw my name in the hat. Reason for the first limitation.. I don't own anything but cascades and LN2 gear now :screwy: Currently have a 6+GHz E8600, incoming RMA'd QX9650, access to P45 and X48 boards, should have incoming GTX 280s and 4870x2s, and plenty of other doohickies and thingamajiggers.

Edit: If there are no spots in the UX class, I am willing to compete in the E class with an E8600, EP45T-Extreme, GTX 280, and some sort of ambient cooling. What's the policy on ambient temperatures, what if I have a -40C ambient?

Last edited:
Status: Shipped - Your order has shipped. You may view your tracking information by clicking the applicable Order Number above. However, your tracking number may not appear immediately as the shipping couriers update only periodically. Your tracking number(s) will also be sent via e-mail to your Newegg.com login.

Thats my order status...everything will be here tomorrow from egg...so I will be entering in the "B" class...

id be down for D or E class. how does it work tho?

1 - i overclock my system
2 - i run the bench
3 - submit my score
4 - someones team wins?

I'm willing to throw my name in the hat.

Hey Chris :D

I dunno if you can be on another HWBot team, Deanzo and I need to talk about that. It would be great to have you join in the fun.

id be down for D or E class. how does it work tho?

Playing in Forum Wars requires a commitment to bench consistently, push your system to it's limits and have a real interest in our teams ability to win. No one gets in without any of that ;)

If you can do that then yes, you overclock, submit scores and someone wins :D

is the benching consistently a factor cos ur tweaking so often and even +1 more for a score is good? or is there more too it?

I dont think i could enter without some H2O cooling my QX6700 and because its a QX i cant enter less then D class... would my single 4850 hold up in there?

Last edited:
The idea is to push your hardware to it's limits with whatever cooling you're using. If you are chosen to compete, the main thing is to keep pushing your setup to reach it's full potential. Most experienced guys can't bench a given setup to its full potential the first time out, it takes time to tune a system and reach it's full potential. So the general idea is don't give up on the first try :beer:

sweet count me in then! system is in sig but ill repeat anyway.

QX6700 with a TRUE120 atm - water to come when funds do. hopefully well before the 19th not sure tho.
HD4850 with a HR-03 GT atm
GA-x48-ds5.
no raid.

If you think those specs will cut it in D class count me in for sure. fianly my 3dmark runs will have a use!

Back