• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Frigen my pc....need some advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I just laid purchase to a "mini" fridge. I think I'll mod it and show some pics later tonight. :)

CamH said:
I just laid purchase to a "mini" fridge. I think I'll mod it and show some pics later tonight. :)

w00h00! i got a mini in the garage just waiting to see what someone else does first... :D :-/

i guess it does seem possible, if you are careful... hmmm, dielectric grease, just in case?

Just so you know, I've got a spare motherboard and video card if something goes wrong. Can you say a good excuse to upgrade? I can. :D

It's generally used for waterproofing and lubrication. In this application, it's used to prevent any condensation from harming the computer.

CamH said:
It's generally used for waterproofing and lubrication. In this application, it's used to prevent any condensation from harming the computer.

Mhmmmm but read the first posts in this thread :D

I still say moores law will go itno affect and something will go wrong and taht you should spray it :)

But if you follow everyone elses advice..you dont need anything on it

If everyone's right, it won't hurt to spray it.

If you're right, it won't hurt to spray it.

It's a win-win situation. :p

Sliiight problem. The case I was gonna rip up to do this thing is pop riveted. I'm gonna have to wait until tomorrow to get a drill.

you probably want to be careful covering the mobo with anything. there are plenty of little things on the mobo that get hot, that are just exposed (mosfets, south bridge, stuff like that). ok, so southbridges dont usually get hot, but they produce heat. while things like mosfets dont NEED heatsinks, covering them with something that could hinder their ability to transfer heat into the air is not a good thing. i dont know how well a silicon conducts heat, so it MIGHT lead to things over heating. granted, being in a fridge would probably negate this problem, but its just something to consider.

with that said, someone do something already!! hehe. i want to see how this goes.

i remember reading in popular science several years ago that some company was going to be releasing a refridgerated case. all the panels and such were insulated. all you had to do was assemble the stuff as usual. of course, i dont ever remember reading about that case after i saw it in there.:D

I'm building it now. The computer boots and runs fine covered in silicon. Once I'm done, I'm making a website for this baby. :)

Disaster!

When dremelling through the side of the case, I accidently cut through a copper line. Oops! I guess I've got to figure out how to fix that and then refill the fridge with coolant before I can continue. :(

oh man... sorry... it sounds like what i would have done!

but now that i think of it... you arent bailing are u? come on... i'll donate some cake to the cause... :D j/k

my wife is a metalsmith/blacksmith... if u need advice on closing the hole... or just take i down to the local garage/votech...

silicon caulk maybe... i dont know what kinda pressure is going on in those pipes tho... could be too much for the caulk

Last edited:
poMONKey said:
oh man... sorry... it sounds like what i would have done!

but now that i think of it... you arent bailing are u? come on... i'll donate some cake to the cause... :D j/k

my wife is a metalsmith/blacksmith... if u need advice on closing the hole... or just take i down to the local garage/votech...

silicon caulk maybe... i dont know what kinda pressure is going on in those pipes tho... could be too much for the caulk

I don't think it will be too bad to fix. http://www.hometime.com/projects/howto/plumbing/pc2plm3.htm :) (Thanks four4875) Hopefully, it'll be up and running tomorrow. Delays, delays!

AHH! awsome....I am glad you are taking the initiatiive..I on the other hand lost my hardrive with a rheostat insident:cry: the dang rheostat caught the electrical tape on fire and messed up my harddrive...this is a definet excuse for an upgrade...but alas instead of getting a brand new ti4200 gainward with 128megs of 3.3 nSec ram I am gunna srping for a new harddrive and cd burner :(.....and that fridge tested great with no condinsation with 2 baking soda boxes....without a mobo inside......
....Ideas for fridged puter!
..I was thinking of havinfg everything outside of the fridge...ala only the mobo and the proc and the graphics card and ram within the frige..the powersupply the harddrive the cd drives etc... all outside...use ribbon cable for a better seal on the frige...then add tape electrcle since it selas better and duct tape on top of that for a nice removable seal....then all the drives are easy to exchange etc...... and you will have a nice cool selaed case with no worries abotu lossing drives etc..whatcha guys think....and as for the silicon spray I think it will be preaty conductive so I might use that.......I know a bet is riding on this but like camH says
If everyone's right, it won't hurt to spray it.

If you're right, it won't hurt to spray it.

It's a win-win situation

Back