• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Frigen my pc....need some advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It's been shut for about a week straight. It would be hard to get the water vapor in the air out before turning the fridge on...

There's no way there won't be condensation on the motherboard, i want to hear from treetop again. He's the one who didnt' use any dielectric grease right? It would take a butt-load of baking soda to convince me it would work. Also, you better not open that fridge very often, and the tip about not turning off the computer will help too.

Hard drives don't like being put in the cold, i think 45*F is the lowest recommended, or something like that.

Now that I think about it, how powerful is the fridge? It's possible that the heat from the computer will overpower it, which kills any discussion of condensation.

lt blue, do you have a little mag light similar plashlight? if so take off the lense and feel the bulb after its on for a little bit. now toss it in the fridge while on, and check back later. look at how much condensation is on the bulb. the bulb is a constant heat source, just like a comp is. if i had a fridge and an outlet that was properly wired and could take the load, i would put my board in it, uninsulated, to prove the point. and as long as the door stays closed, it'll be fine.

My computer's running in the fridge. At the moment, it's totally uninsulated. It's been running like this for weeks. THERE ARE ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEMS.

Last edited:
The power supply, CDROM, and HD have been moved outside of the fridge, and it is now closed, and has been for some weeks.

I posted some pictures in another thread, but my website will be down for the next few days. I'll post some new ones when it's up again.

I'm coming to this thread a bit late, but it occurs to me that if condensation is really something you're worried about, you could just lay the mobo flat in a tray of oil.

hey hows it going? just wanted to know how cold your motherboard has gotten sense I want to make a air chiller and donno what the motherboard would do at such low temps. Glad to hear you havent killed anything, I didnt think you would. Im glad someone had the guts to try this.

The motherboard works absolutely fine at the lower temps. No trouble at all! I doubt it will have trouble, either.

I tried this with a costco meat freezer, just to play it on the safe side, I used an old 1.5, the damn thing got condensation and fried, power relay switch to the house got knocked out...not a good idea, unless you can keep the temp around 60 F...

wow that so sucks! your whole house went out cause of your pc heh...............I have opted not to do the fridge mod.....my temps are awsome as standing......so I feel no need for extreem cold (as of now)......I am now more interrested in making a HTPC.......sorry to disapoint :(

next mod you nead to install a insolated glass for a window in this way you will see if thers condensation and see the fans still work! put light o a switch.
This may help:)

Exempt, take some pics and show us where you put the PC inside the freezer. I'm interested in knowing how something like that happened as it would be impossible in the setup I have.

i did this over a year ago, didnt take any pics. It was a large meat freezer, they sell at costco for 299.00, you could fit like 2 computers inside it. reason it condensates is because there is no way to seal the lid on the wires air tight, so air seeps in ...creating condensation....

Back