• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Frosty Pics

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
1.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg

Session went really well. Got two hours of full pot before wetness became an issue.
No CB, CBB at -175ish, seemed to vary between -160 on 1.7v and 107bclk to -175 on 1.87v and 108bclk.

Chip'll do more for the short stuff, I think it'll do more for the long stuff too.
Board is decent, I like it well enough.

:shock: 2 hours at full pot in considered good now-a-days? I remember benching my 555 under a full pot for like 4 hours, and there was no frost except for the top of the pot. Benching AMD was always way more simple... oh and I didn't have that beast of a pot.

How did you like the Venom, Ed?

:shock: 2 hours at full pot in considered good now-a-days? I remember benching my 555 under a full pot for like 4 hours, and there was no frost except for the top of the pot. Benching AMD was always way more simple... oh and I didn't have that beast of a pot.

How did you like the Venom, Ed?

I think we actually got more than 2 hours, we didn't get cold till around 1:30 in the afternoon i think. Its really really humid here right now aswell. I think if we would if insulated slightly differently we would of escaped the problems we ran into frost wise. but who knows. It came at a good time TBH, right as we where tearing down I had to take, and Ed needed to head home, plus we where almost finished with our first fill of the small dewar so I would say success.

I also want to point out that ed's new motivational technique to get people benching is to tape them to the dewar till they agree to bench more.

Nice job! If you have some available to you, I'd recommend also trying some older systems under DICE. Socket 775 things generally work really really well under it and they are [relatively] cheap to replace!

Nice job! If you have some available to you, I'd recommend also trying some older systems under DICE. Socket 775 things generally work really really well under it and they are [relatively] cheap to replace!

Thanks for the advice. Now that I've got the initial setup, I was planning on looking for some older stuff, and take it easy on the wallet for a while. :chair:

Awesome guys. Next time someone is benching in the tri state area give me a call. I can definitely help spotting LN2

Last edited:
Looks good dark. Nice and frosty, especially for dice.

Around the base, did you put any paper towels between the posts and the pot? I see it looks like you have some around the posts.

How did that insulation work out?

It worked out very well!

Looks good dark. Nice and frosty, especially for dice.

Around the base, did you put any paper towels between the posts and the pot? I see it looks like you have some around the posts.

Nothing between the posts and the pot, and no issues. Not sure the towels were necessary (they never got wet), but better safe than sorry. I did, however, put down a piece of shop towel and a layer of 1/2" foam, just big enough to create a seal between the pot and the socket...probably less than 1/2" all around. Not sealing the socket off just kind of freaks me out, especially with the frost I generate. Everything stayed dry though, so I may not use it next time, we'll see.

I do tend to pile on some frost! That's actually why I decided to LET the board. The frost is fluffy, like fresh snow, and starts to fall off after a while. That created a couple small puddles on the board. Just dab them with a shop towel to soak it up and continue on. Had some fall against the video card this time, but I just kept going (wasn't too concerned with the 8400 GS) and it lived. I'll have to figure out something for next time though. Same with the ram. I'm really trying to avoid the whole vaseline thing, but I'm thinking it's probably inevitable, especially when I finally put the tek-9 to use.

Edit: Note that I didn't use foam anywhere but around the socket, at all. I think Vince may be right for LN2 use though.

Ya, I have stopped using vaseline at all. It makes me a bit uncomfortable especially with LN2 as I get a lot of frost mainly around the first PCIe socket above and around it when doing cold GPU, but I've got a pretty good papertowel/shammy gasket around the PCIe contacts so maybe that helps. No problems so far though doing it this way. I always used to pack the PCIe slot with vaseline and coat the card contacts in a layer, which never caused me problems either.

I use that armaflex foam tape that he uses, to stripe off some sections - most parts of the board where its used I left the backing on like he did, and its just a barrier against LN2 splashes as I often pour messy and it stops direct hits of LN2 on the paint.

I also cut strips of the armaflex, removed the backing, and taped it over the unused slots. This extends slightly over the used sockets as well, so its almost like a gasket around the RAM sticks I use. It makes sure no flakes fall in there, helps prevent frost inside the unused slots, and frost on the contact points of the RAM in use.

For the fluffy stuff, it blows around for me to, but I keep a lot of airflow blowing slightly up around the socket and this seems to be good at blowing anything that breaks off up and away from the components.

Glad everything worked good for you. I would probably say just keep an eye on things as you continue going cold. I know when I have to torch the pot sometimes, I can get runs down the side of the pot and I feel better with the paper towels ensuring liquids don't get closer to the socket.

Ya, I have stopped using vaseline at all. It makes me a bit uncomfortable especially with LN2 as I get a lot of frost mainly around the first PCIe socket above and around it when doing cold GPU, but I've got a pretty good papertowel/shammy gasket around the PCIe contacts so maybe that helps. No problems so far though doing it this way.

Good to know, thanks!

I also cut strips of the armaflex, removed the backing, and taped it over the unused slots. This extends slightly over the used sockets as well, so its almost like a gasket around the RAM sticks I use. It makes sure no flakes fall in there, helps prevent frost inside the unused slots, and frost on the contact points of the RAM in use.

Great idea. I'll try that out next time.

For the fluffy stuff, it blows around for me to, but I keep a lot of airflow blowing slightly up around the socket and this seems to be good at blowing anything that breaks off up and away from the components.

I haven't used fans thus far. I read in one of the stickies where someone said not to use them because it causes the frost to melt (blowing warm air on it). Seemed to make sense for DIce, but maybe I'll try a couple next time.

Glad everything worked good for you. I would probably say just keep an eye on things as you continue going cold. I know when I have to torch the pot sometimes, I can get runs down the side of the pot and I feel better with the paper towels ensuring liquids don't get closer to the socket.

That's a good point. Haven't had a need for a torch so far, but that day will come. Thanks for the input! :thup:

Back