• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-6300 first time OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok the more I read about LLC the more confused I am lol
Here is a graph showing variances in vcore voltage, bone stock, all green stuff on...nothing tweaked! Why do I have such a difference in min/max?

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 60
That's normal with the power savings enabled. It allows the computer to lower the voltage and shut down cores when at idle. Leave the power savers disabled until you get an idea what the LLC settings do. Try one setting and the check it with a load. Do this till you find one that gives you the least variance.

That's normal with the power savings enabled. It allows the computer to lower the voltage and shut down cores when at idle. Leave the power savers disabled until you get an idea what the LLC settings do. Try one setting and the check it with a load. Do this till you find one that gives you the least variance.

Ok thanks Johan!!

RGone, it's a revision 3, brand new bought a few days ago

I would see if you can get an RMA for that board for a Rev 4.0. A few I understand have done so and are now much more pleased. RMA for fit for merchandising or nearly any reason you can come up with and get Rev 4.0. You will like yourself in the long-run a lot more and the board better as the months go bye.

Or even just RMA it and get an Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 (no GEN3). The Sabetooth is one of the best for FX processors and carried just about everywhere.
RGone...

I would see if you can get an RMA for that board for a Rev 4.0. A few I understand have done so and are now much more pleased. RMA for fit for merchandising or nearly any reason you can come up with and get Rev 4.0. You will like yourself in the long-run a lot more and the board better as the months go bye.

Or even just RMA it and get an Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 (no GEN3). The Sabetooth is one of the best for FX processors and carried just about everywhere.
RGone...

Ok I will see about the RMA, thx

This is what I get with all the green stuff disabled, everything stock

Attachments

• volt.jpg
    volt.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Almost a full tenth Vcore swing. That makes for difficult overclocking. What happens is that you have to set for more voltage in bios so that on Droop or lesser Vcore; it is not too small for stability.

With my CHV board I can choose Vcore and correct CPU_LLC of say 1.4 in bios and my Vcore as seen in HWMonitor is usually 1.4012. That is only 0.001 swing and not 0.096 swing. A lot of difference in those two situations when trying to get enough Vcore but not more than enough Vcore for overclocking 24/7.
RGone...
RGone...

Almost a full tenth Vcore swing. That makes for difficult overclocking. What happens is that you have to set for more voltage in bios so that on Droop or lesser Vcore; it is not too small for stability.

With my CHV board I can choose Vcore and correct CPU_LLC of say 1.4 in bios and my Vcore as seen in HWMonitor is usually 1.4012. That is only 0.001 swing and not 0.096 swing. A lot of difference in those two situations when trying to get enough Vcore but not more than enough Vcore for overclocking 24/7.
RGone...
RGone...
All my latest graphs with OC were with vcore of +0.150v should I try to bump it much more? I can get an RAM but this could take a week or more so I really want to make sure the board can be tweaked before sending it back.

All my latest graphs with OC were with vcore of +0.150v should I try to bump it much more? I can get an RAM but this could take a week or more so I really want to make sure the board can be tweaked before sending it back.

I have underlined three words in the quote above. Don't you really mean cannot be tweaked to/for stability before getting RMA and a better board? I mean you can tweak the board until you are gray haired for sure, but the tweaking with Rev 3.0, most generally is not acceptable.

You need a better board not more tweaking.
RGone...

I have underlined three words in the quote above. Don't you really mean cannot be tweaked to/for stability before getting RMA and a better board? I mean you can tweak the board until you are gray haired for sure, but the tweaking with Rev 3.0, most generally is not acceptable.

You need a better board not more tweaking.
RGone...
Lol...ok I see what you mean :)

Because of the nature of the FX high current draw and HOT running cpus we try to keep up with boards that work. Maybe not boards we have or would even buy, but those that give a shot at a good user experience. So this was posted by one of our own whom has for himself the "high-dollar" speed merchant boards.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=741239
By "bassnut" > FX 8 Core with Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3(REV4)
Quote:
Whatever Gigabyte has done with the new rev 4 board works ..... well at least so far as an option for an entry level board that can OC the FX 8150 to a pretty decent OC for the cooling I have on this chip. It would be nice to drop in the FX 8350 for a run but I won't have the time. Below is a screen of the OC and about a 1 hour prime run before a worker dropped off. It's not far from usable stability and I don't have the time to fine tune it.
End Quote.

"bassnut" helps out some here in the AMD section but his home move has made him very busy But I trust his word as I feel I know him as well as "trents, "johan45" and "mandrake4565", all who have FX processors and compete in the OClocktagon and have fast azz FX boards and systems.

Remember "bassnut's" qualifier which is how much cooling one has for case and cpu
RGone...

Because of the nature of the FX high current draw and HOT running cpus we try to keep up with boards that work. Maybe not boards we have or would even buy, but those that give a shot at a good user experience. So this was posted by one of our own whom has for himself the "high-dollar" speed merchant boards.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=741239
By "bassnut" > FX 8 Core with Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3(REV4)
Quote:
Whatever Gigabyte has done with the new rev 4 board works ..... well at least so far as an option for an entry level board that can OC the FX 8150 to a pretty decent OC for the cooling I have on this chip. It would be nice to drop in the FX 8350 for a run but I won't have the time. Below is a screen of the OC and about a 1 hour prime run before a worker dropped off. It's not far from usable stability and I don't have the time to fine tune it.
End Quote.

"bassnut" helps out some here in the AMD section but his home move has made him very busy But I trust his word as I feel I know him as well as "trents, "johan45" and "mandrake4565", all who have FX processors and compete in the OClocktagon and have fast azz FX boards and systems.

Remember "bassnut's" qualifier which is how much cooling one has for case and cpu
RGone...

Interesting! :)
Ok here is another experiment I did, the VBAT and vcore are pretty stable, don't they?

Attachments

• new.jpg
    new.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 57
  • new2.jpg
    new2.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 56
  • new3.jpg
    new3.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 56
The Vcore is showing the difference of 1.356V and 1.332V which is 0.024 which is better than before. But is that under a load like generated by running P95 in Blend mode on all cores with HWMonitor open on desktop monitoring Min/Max temps and volts.

VBAT is the voltage in that little battery that keeps the CMOS live for the bios. HWMonitor is reading it wrong, but it surely is stable and should be since it is plain old battery voltage not a motherboard power voltage.
RGone...

The Vcore is showing the difference of 1.356V and 1.332V which is 0.024 which is better than before. But is that under a load like generated by running P95 in Blend mode on all cores with HWMonitor open on desktop monitoring Min/Max temps and volts.

VBAT is the voltage in that little battery that keeps the CMOS live for the bios. HWMonitor is reading it wrong, but it surely is stable and should be since it is plain old battery voltage not a motherboard power voltage.
RGone...
Yes this is with prime under load with both CPU-Z and HWMonitor open
So am I in the good territory now? What I did is raise the multiplier instead of FSB and it was extremely stable for 20min

Yes this is with prime under load with both CPU-Z and HWMonitor open
So am I in the good territory now? What I did is raise the multiplier instead of FSB and it was extremely stable for 20min

You are in 'better' territory now but not nearly like the thousands-th of change exhibited by my CHV under load.

And doing away with the ability to make changes to FSB/HT Ref Freq is going to hamper your overall tweaking.

Why?
1. Generally (90%) the use of a smaller multiplier and using some FSB to reach a certain cpu level takes less Vcore than just using the Multiplier alone.
2. Many of us (self-included) use the FSB/HT Ref Freq to manipulate the ram speed and CPU_NB and HT clock for added performance. If you are unable to have decent Vcore without major Vdroop by NOT using FSB...well a great deal of flexibility is lost. Strokes for Folks.
RGone...

EDIT:
Hey man it is your parts. Your money spent. You can do with as you please. I am again tired of having to be the mobo police for these lesser calibre mobos. Tweak it use it. Have some fun. After all you made your buying decisions and good or bad they are now yours. I know there are far more workable boards. Maybe even that later Rev 4.0 from Gigabyte. But the ultimate choices are yours and your money. Again have some fun man.
END EDIT.

You are in 'better' territory now but not nearly like the thousands-th of change exhibited by my CHV under load.

And doing away with the ability to make changes to FSB/HT Ref Freq is going to hamper your overall tweaking.

Why?
1. Generally (90%) the use of a smaller multiplier and using some FSB to reach a certain cpu level takes less Vcore than just using the Multiplier alone.
2. Many of us (self-included) use the FSB/HT Ref Freq to manipulate the ram speed and CPU_NB and HT clock for added performance. If you are unable to have decent Vcore without major Vdroop by NOT using FSB...well a great deal of flexibility is lost. Strokes for Folks.
RGone...

EDIT:
Hey man it is your parts. Your money spent. You can do with as you please. I am again tired of having to be the mobo police for these lesser calibre mobos. Tweak it use it. Have some fun. After all you made your buying decisions and good or bad they are now yours. I know there are far more workable boards. Maybe even that later Rev 4.0 from Gigabyte. But the ultimate choices are yours and your money. Again have some fun man.
END EDIT.

I understand...I can leave it stock for now, RMA means reinstall old parts and reinstall my OS plus FSX and a gazillion add-ons which is a lot of time lost. I bought that board based on newegg customer reviews and some reviews but I guess that some reviews don't mention that certain boards are not good for oc

Back