• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX 6300 OC-ed. Decent stats for daily use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sergiu

Registered
Mobo: GA-970A-UD3
Cooler: CM 212 EVO
PSU: Thermaltake LP-500P (kinda ****ty but it does the job so far)

HTT: 220Mhz
CPU Frequency: 4.4GHZ, 20x
NB Frequency: 2.42GHZ, 11x
HT-LINK: 2.64GHZ, 12x
NB Voltage: 1.15V
CPU NB Vid: 1.25V
CPU VID: Just under 1.4 after vdroop.

The only thing I'm worried about is that I hit 63 degrees on package while running prime.
I'd really like to keep it @ at least 4.4GHZ but I'm afraid that won't be possible if I lower the voltage as I just had it fail on 20.5x multiplier under the voltage I'm using now.

Untitled.jpg

EDIT: Alright after my this post my computer just crashed. Making some tweaks.

Last edited:
Anyone knows for 100% certain what TIMPIN2 is on this motherboard? I read somewhere that it's the NB. What are safe temps for that?
I might have been killing my CPU lol if it's CPU temperature (I highly doubt it though)

Anyone knows for 100% certain what TIMPIN2 is on this motherboard? I read somewhere that it's the NB. What are safe temps for that?
I might have been killing my CPU lol if it's CPU temperature (I highly doubt it though)
TIMPIN2 is the socket temps IIRC. That should be no more than 72C (I had a Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 Rev1.1)
Package temps should be 62C MAX.

What we do, is attach a small fan to the back of the CPU socket. In my case which is made out of wood, i was able to simply screw a fan to the wood to cool the socket.

Many others use a 60mm fan or the like and get some double sided tape and stick it to the CPU heatsink backplate. Works like a charm :thup:
Otherwise, yeah, 1.4V for 4.4Ghz sounds about right. Much better than my 6300 I will say!

Haha, that's some ghetto overclocking. I'm loving it. I have a Define R5 and a spot in on the side for a 140MM fan, would that help?

**** it. I decided to leave it @ 4.2GHz and 1.365V. Reverted NB and NB CPU Vid to default and HTT to 210. Temps are more than safe and it's not like 100-200MHz is gonna make a huge difference. With these settings I'll never have to worry about it dying on me.

Also turned on the smart fan so it's not killing my ears now. It's silent as a brick.

**** it. I decided to leave it @ 4.2GHz and 1.365V. Reverted NB and NB CPU Vid to default and HTT to 210. Temps are more than safe and it's not like 100-200MHz is gonna make a huge difference. With these settings I'll never have to worry about it dying on me.

Also turned on the smart fan so it's not killing my ears now. It's silent as a brick.

There exists, a "step" like preformance. IIRC. Every 200Mhz or so there's a small bump in preformance. 4.7Ghz is where it basically stops for everyone. If you were to clock it to 4.7Ghz then 5Ghz would be the next level. 4.8 and 4.9 not so much.
I recall reading that somewhere here many months ago...

Anyways, 4.2Ghz is a nice OC, and if you get some better cooling (water cooling), you still have room to play voltage wise. 1.55Vcore MAX.
btw. I topped out around 4.4Ghz on my NH-D14, but my 6300 is a terrible chip. Needs huge Vcore to overclock so it'sa very good heater lol.

Can't complain bout a sweet rig being silent eh? :thup:

Thanks for the posts. My chip seems to be doing quite good voltage/frequency wise but my cooling just can't keep up. I kinda expected the EVO to handle at least 1.4V / 4.4Mhz, which I guess it does since the only thing getting too hot is the socket temps.

Thanks for the posts. My chip seems to be doing quite good voltage/frequency wise but my cooling just can't keep up. I kinda expected the EVO to handle at least 1.4V / 4.4Mhz, which I guess it does since the only thing getting too hot is the socket temps.
Which is were that fan comes in handy :thup:
By adding a fan back there it can also drop your package temps a few C too. It's worth the effort even at your current overclock :)

I'll look into that once I get a fan. Mind posting an image of said setup so I can get a clear picture what you're talking about?

I'll look into that once I get a fan. Mind posting an image of said setup so I can get a clear picture what you're talking about?
Here ya go!
That is Johan45's setup. Some 2-way tape in the fan and slap it on.
Also a fan or two over the VRM's heatsink will help keep things from getting toasty.

To get you a pic of my setup would require me tearing down my water cooling loop which I'm doing in the next few weeks so if you still want one I can get you some pics, it'll just be a while.

silver, you missed getting the air back on to the vrm heatsinks that was taken away by the evo cooler.

no, it takes the airflow that the oe heatsink provides and that also needs to be replaced.
I have found that the fan on the back of the socket is only, really needed when overclocking an 8 core or extreme clocking a 6 core.
uh, oh, he has a 970 board, he need both sides of the socket cooled.

I honestly don't get how people hate on this chip. I've used i3's and this feels smoother, I mainly play poker with a database program in the background and youtube playing. Is it because it doesn't beat the i3 in games that don't support multithreading? Is it because it needs overclocking?

I honestly don't get how people hate on this chip. I've used i3's and this feels smoother, I mainly play poker with a database program in the background and youtube playing. Is it because it doesn't beat the i3 in games that don't support multithreading? Is it because it needs overclocking?
Intel fanboyz. The FX chips are very good chips, all they need is a bit of overclocking love and they do what Intel does just fine and that is gaming.

I honestly do not see the difference in gaming vs my 3570K @ 4.2Ghz.
Now enter the FX 8300 and video encoding... Intel has nothing on the 8300! All those extra cores are perfect for this.

Back