• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bulldog1963

My ambient is about 21. At idle Coretemp reads about 16 and CPU about 40. Under load I hit 41 cores and 51 CPU. Motherboard sits stable at 31 for both. GPU is idle at 33 so case internal temp is stable.

This is on the setup in my sig, below. I was considering an H100 or an XSPC rasa or raystorm 750 RS 240. Is it really worth the 120 - 170 bucks worth it. And I am not talking about is it worth the ability to say I use water cooling. I'm talking from a necessity standpoint. It seems pretty cool to me.

Oh, i forgot to change the overclock in my sig before the post. I had to take it down to 4.2 because SWTOR does quite poorly when I OC beyond 4.0 (at 4.1 i get bizarre grapich artifacts and at 4.2 it just plain exits (no system lockup or BSOD).

***hah. changed in my sig now, LOL

Last edited:
your temps are well with in specs, we like to stay below 62c(peak) on the core temps.
you might try upping the vcore a click or two to help with the gaming issue.
what is you vcore now, underload?

Last edited:
Your temps are fine at present as caddi said but just for future reference the core temp on the FX CPUs is poorly calibrated on the cool side. Add about 15c to the cores as an offset.

okay. VCore is at about 1.28 idle and drops to 1.24 under load.

So, coretemp doesn't show what the actual temps are? I run Hwinfo64 concurrently and the temps are spot-on with each other. The Fintek71889A is horribly amiss in its reporting? And when you mean cool side, at what temperatures do the readings become accurate?

The core temp reading is not an actual measurement as you would think of as in a thermometer reading. It is calculated with a formula using input from several sensors as I understand it.

your 41c core temp, add 15c=56c. but i run mine up into the 70c range buy, i don't reccomend you do it.
I read my temps with cpuz hardware monitor.

I am not good at explaining it.

TCase = The "on package" (below the die, above the pins on the package) thermistors that are averaged out to give a "TCase" reading. Which is why all of the thermal data sheets downloadable from AMD list "TCase Max" = 61C (for the 8150 etc. and other limits for other specific CPU's).

TCore = The individual "core" temps which are taken by using a "formula" and the nearest TCase thermistors to that particular "core" and calculating the temperature (a "guestimate" in other words).

TJunction = The temperature where the pins hit the MB (i.e. the "socket" thermistors) (note - TJunction is different on an Intel CPU & MB)

Tcase is the temperature of the processor's metal case or heatspreader (that is in contact with base of cooler).
Maximum Tcase limit is much lower than Tjunction limit.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding your explanation correctly, bburrill2012, but your second definition of TCase seems to say something different than the first one.

I'm seeing that, when my GPU comes into full play, it kicks up to 42 (from 33 idle). That actually causes my CPU to jump to 45 degrees, which is about 24-ish above room ambient. My cores go from 16 to 27/28 degrees (before the adjustment) - 41/42 with the 15 degree offset.

This is pretty much the max normal usage. The numbers above were BurnIn Test Pro 7.0 (everyone's fave, Prime 95 won't run in any stress mode, even at stock config. It just locks up my whole computer and I need to reset it. But BurnIn has no trouble pumping my cpu cores up to 100% and heating it up.

Some of the stress testers seem to produce 100% core usage but are still not working the cores as hard as others. AMD Overdrive is a great example. It's stress test mode is really wimpy but its bar graphs tell you the cores are being taxed to 100%. In my experience I can easily pass the 1 hr. AMDOD stress test but fail Prime95 blend within 15 minutes. And if I monitor core temps during a run of AMDOD and then do the same with a run of Prime95 blend I find that the core temps are several degrees cooler when running the AMDOD stressor. Not all stress testers are created equal.

Have you tried OCCT or Linpack? I would suggest you do that. A system that is marginally stable will eventually show its true colors.

bulldog, it might be a good idea for you to post pics of CPU-z tabs: "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD" so we can take a look at your settings. Thee is a built-in forum tool for attaching pics. First, however, crop and save the images to disc. Windows Accessories Snipping Tool is great for this. Then click on the Go Advanced button found at the bottom of any new post window. When the Advanced post window appears, click on the paperclip tool at the top which will bring up the file browser/upload tool.

Last edited:
okay. i'll work on getting up some snaps. Thanks. As for Prime95, It just doesn't like me LOL. even at 3100 it fouls up. I'll look into the other two you mentioned.

Back