• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX 8150 Throttling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ArchAngel00

I have an FX 8150 I am trying to overclock at 4.2 ghz with the core voltage set at 1.30 under load. It seems stable until my cpu socket temp hits about 52-53c then it throttles to 1.4 ghz and freezes. My core temps are not going above 40c yet it keeps throttling. I am completely lost here it just seems like its throttling at such a low temp any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also about a month ago when I was playing around with the OC settings I remember the cpu socket temp was hitting 57c before throttling maybe something is starting to go bad?

System specs
CPU: FX 8150 @ 4.2ghz
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake water 2.0 extreme
MB: ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0
GPU: Radeon 6950 2gb
RAM: 16gb corsair ddr3
PSU: Thermaltake 750W
Case: Azza 2000 Hurrican

Forgot to mention all the power saving and throttling features I could find in the bios are turned off. CPU & CPU NB LLC are both on I can't seem to get a stable OC above 3.9 without them.

That motherboard has no heat sinks on the mosfets/VRMs and is not a particularly good choice for overclocking the power hungry 8150 FX. I imagine it only has a 4+1 power phase as well. The FX CPUs have very complex power management schemes that can be very difficult to completely disarm. Things that have to be disabled include Cool N Quiet, C1E, C6, Turbo and APM and even then on all but the higher end motherboards, overclocking the FX 8 cores can be frustrating.

One thing that might help you is to position a spare case fan to blow on the mosfet, VRM, CPU socket area of the motherboard.

Is there anyway to see the temps of the mosfets/vrms? A couple of days ago when I posted this I actually felt them with my finger while the cpu was at load and they were only warm to the touch.

What I have done since was disable cores 5-8 and played around with the voltage. My cpu socket temps aren't going above 42c now even at 1.4vcore and my cpu speed is sitting stable at 4.6 ghz. Plus the vrm feel cooler than with 8 cores enabled. My core temps are lower also with the higher voltage with less cores.

Anyone else have this experience?

I do have several fans blowing on the mosfet/vrm area btw. One behind the motherboard and one infront. (Had this setup when originally posted)

In todays market I have seen those Ifrared Thermometers from less than $20.00 to about $40.00 some that 6 years ago I paid nearly $80.00 for. Where you are seeming to have real issues with VRM temps that sort of temp measurement is likely better than any software readout anyway.

Attachments

• M5A97 LE.jpg
    M5A97 LE.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 6,906
Is there anyway to see the temps of the mosfets/vrms? A couple of days ago when I posted this I actually felt them with my finger while the cpu was at load and they were only warm to the touch.

What I have done since was disable cores 5-8 and played around with the voltage. My cpu socket temps aren't going above 42c now even at 1.4vcore and my cpu speed is sitting stable at 4.6 ghz. Plus the vrm feel cooler than with 8 cores enabled. My core temps are lower also with the higher voltage with less cores.

Anyone else have this experience?

I do have several fans blowing on the mosfet/vrm area btw. One behind the motherboard and one infront. (Had this setup when originally posted)

I cool my VRM's with a 80mm fan sitting 5mm above and slightly offset so it gets the most pressure from the fan, I don't use a heatsink or anything on them. Before I would get the 7x multiplier throttle constantly under load but now I don't get it at all, and lower temperatures by 5c or so too.

How close are the fans you use?

We have very similar m/board setups so I hope this info helps :)

Back