• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-8150 vs AMD X4 960T Unlocked (X6 1600T) vs AMD X4 965

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ITAngel

Hey guys, I been wondering for gaming performance which of these chips will performance better under an ASUS Sabertooth 990FX?

I am debating if I want to spend the money on an FX-8350 or keep my FX-8150 or trade it for an AMD X4 960T unlocked X6 1600T or AMD X4 965. I have a chance to grab one of the chips and not sure if the FX-8150 is stronger than any of these chips under a Hyper 212 CPU cooler. Any tip or info would be great.

I am also presented with a new chip APU A10-6800k plus motherboard for my 990FX and FX-8150. I was told the 6800k can OC easy to 5Ghz. Figure with a discreet card and that speed it should run pretty strong. However, I am not very experience with the new APU or FX line up.

They'll all game about the same, and the 212 will cool them all about the same.

Personally, I'd go for the 6800K if it came with a decent board. I don't know about an easy 5 gig though.

They'll all game about the same, and the 212 will cool them all about the same.

Personally, I'd go for the 6800K if it came with a decent board. I don't know about an easy 5 gig though.

It would come with the AsRock FM2A85X Extreme 4 and the A10-6800k trade up for my FX-8150 and Sabertooth 990FX mobo. Now I would be willing to trade it if the person could add a little more like maybe he can take my HD6950 for his XFX 7950. Not sure he would want to do that since he just got the card. However; I feel I would lose the 5 year warranty on the mobo, and 4 additional cores to up my graphics and speed a little. He was also thinking he would get any FM2 mobo for it if I wanted which I find the FM2A85X Extreme6 model very sexy or the Gigabyte GA-F2A85X-UP4

Also I run Windows 8 and that mobo is modified for Windows 8.

Last edited:
I had a 960T unlocked to a x6 1600T with Biostar A880G chip set board. I replaced it with a fx6300 and a 990fx because its age. I gave the phenomII x6 with a 880G board to my mom. Honestly I dont think the 6300 was much of an upgrade. The 960T unlocked scored higher than the 6300 at stock. I wish I would have kept it around to compare them after I overclocked the 6300 to 4.6.

All in all the phenomII 960T unlocked was a dang good chip imo.

Last edited:
Ic, Nice, yea I had a 960T unlocked but ran hot, however; it didn't help had one of the hottest GPU from NVIDA 570 that made my case a furnace. I wonder how it would do now with my HD6960.

8150 will outperform the 960T unlocked and the X4 965, assuming all three are overclocked to the max that the cooler will allow. Not really because it has more cores than those other two but it has more cache. Games generally don't benefit much from a lot of cores but feed off big clock speeds and cache amounts. And the unlocked 960T will outperform the X4 965 by a little because of the extra cache when unlocked.

The APU A10 will be hampered by no L3 cache.

Angel unless you are play Cpu dependent games you're not going to see much if any difference in gaming with those chips. You're only better off if you can do the trade and get the 7950.

Angel unless you are play Cpu dependent games you're not going to see much if any difference in gaming with those chips. You're only better off if you can do the trade and get the 7950.

Well the thing is this a good friend of mine love the Sabertooth motherboards and the FX-8150. He is a very heavy ocier and since I only do music recording and gaming as a hobbie. He feels the AMD A10-6800k with a good graphic card will do just that. I am not much of the occier so I fee that my setup might be eating to much power to do less if that makes sense. Yes I do believe that the HD7950 will do really good with a setup in my end. People always talk about APU are low end chips that is not worth running a side card with it. But those chips are breaking 8Ghz OC like mad. Figure if the CPU was active a slightly OC while the built in GPU is turn off so I can use the HD7950 or the HD6950 I think might run fine don't you guys think?

you guys are all right on the beam, gameing? get a better video card first.
useing the same video card (7850) I can't tell witch cpu games better in the games i have used, 6300,965,8120,4170 and an 8350.
if your going to crunch numbers under linux, go with the 8 core and clock it for all the cooling will give you. if you crunch numbers under windows it seems 4 cores are the limit for some reason.

Ic what you mean caddi and that is all new to me too. XD

I guess my question is if I plan to only play game not OC that much, and do Audio Recording with software like Fruity Loops. Do you think a trade in for the APU + Mobo across for my CPU + Mobo is worth it? or maybe the APU + 7950 + Mobo for my CPU + Mobo + GPU is worth it?

go with the 960t and as good of a video card as you can afford.
I can't speak to apu's as i have never owned one. but as i understand it apu means onboard graphics and that is all I even think I know about the apu's.
perhaps some one who has owned one or two will chime in or you could ask about it in the video card section.

Well, I own one and is great Crossfire with a HD6670. However; the new APU 6800k line up suppost to be base of the bulldozer which is not a bad cpu platform to be. I read that they push a A10-6800k to 8.2Ghz on all 4 cores plus they use a video card on the side so the cpu gpu side was turn off.

I have had my doubts about the true 'power' of an APU system. This testing is about 2 years old but I expect the overall perspective maybe about the same. Also there maybe later testing of more current cpus/APUs at the site. Did not look since I have no desire for an APU to date.

Each of the APUs tested were running faster than the Intel cpu tested. But the i3 2100 had 3Mb of shared L3 cache which AMD APUs still have none of. L3 has been used by cpu makers for at least 7 years to bump up the cpu power.

I think if I had to do processing of the audio I was recording, I would think hard about leaving my FX-8150 with plenty of L3 cache.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2011/06/30/amd-a8-3850-review/5
AMD A8-3850 Image Editing and Video Encoding Performance

What is a good Video card for the money that is better than an HD6950?

SAPPHIRE 100352-3L HD7950 or EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-2765-KR ?

What screen resolutions are you gaming at? The 6950 is a pretty good Gpu, unless you want all the eye candy turned up you should be able to play most modern games with the 6950. Yes the 7950 is a better gpu but if you're playing @ 1080 the difference to the naked eye will probably be unnoticeable.

I use a 7850 and 2 7770's and I don't see any reason to upgrde them other than the time I spend over in the benchmarking section.
as long as it looks good on the screen why spend just to change.
if your 6950 makes you happy at the time keep it.
I have amd cards but from what i see in the benchmarking section nvidia is better.

Ic what you mean. Someone want to trade an AMD X4 960 unlock to 1600T full working cores and pay on the side for my FX-8150. What you guys think? Is it worth the trade?

Back