• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-8150 vs AMD X4 960T Unlocked (X6 1600T) vs AMD X4 965

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
FX-8350 or keep my FX-8150 or trade it for an AMD X4 960T unlocked X6 1600T or AMD X4 965

AND >> chips under a Hyper 212 CPU cooler

AND >> I don't hear anything about overclocking.

PLUS >> Antec EarthWatts 500watt

1. To me the move to an FX-8350 makes little sense if you do not have more cooling than the
CM 212. They cannot handle an 8 core FX processor so that you can really overclock it to get
some real performance and game better because of processor speed.

2. If you aleady have an FX-8150 my money would go into a GPU that draws less power now with the newer video chipset. AND get something like an H-100 cooler or similar and certainly nothing less. Then push that FX-8150 to at least 4.5/4.7Ghz even if you have to go in bios and Disable one set of cores to do it with those mini-water coolers.

3. Working at it that way, you will lessen the load on that 500 watt power supply with newer Video card and pick up some cpu speed for the gaming. AND have a less power hungry video card that can game well also.

Your original question as posed; just covered to great an area of debate really. You could put a 965BE in and clock it to 4.1Ghz and game just fine and upgrade the video card and do fine with the CM Hyper 212, but when you change 8 core cpus one for another with no real cooling, it seems to gain nothing to me. Video and better cpu cooling make more sense. Or maybe a move to an Intel Ivy Bridge since Haswells run so hot.
RGone...

Back