• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fx 8320E cooling for mild overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

redbeard30

Registered
My pump on my seidon 120v died, almost took my beloved 8320e with it! My question, i would like too go back to air, less risky for me, would a hyper 212 evo be good enough for an overclock to 4.0/4.2ghz? Or do i need too stick to water? I was running at 4.2 at 1.31 volts with my seidon. Specs below..

Gigabyte 970a-ud3p rev.2
8320e
CM 690ii usb3 case
Antec high current gamer modular 750
2 120mm corsair sp fans top exhaust
1 120mm jetflo rear exhaust
1 140mm CM case fan front
intake
1 140mm bottom intake

I do alot of video conversion so the added speed really helps.
Thanks!

The hyper 212 shoulder fine...... wouldn't hurt to add a second fan though.

Well before my seidon died I was thinking of getting a larger aio. But since its failure and almost taking my CPU with it, I am going back to air. Might revisit water in the future, but not now. I'm not looking to break over clock records or anything. Just basically looking to get 8350 performance from the 8320e.

Well, I think possibly that when my pump went it damaged the CPU, or motherboard. I switched over to the stock cooler to get up and running, monitored temps, all was good, but now I get random freezes. IE..mouse, keyboard non responsive. Have to power off and reboot. WTH! I did manage too run prime95 for 45 minutes w/o issue, but I just logged on and it froze about 2 minutes into searching on chrome....any ideas? Ram tested OK.

Are you overclocked or at stock. Try going to bios and use F5 defaults , see if it persists after that.

Everything was/is back to stock. CPU is at stock settings, bios reset to default settings. Just froze again trying to reinstall windows. I'm afraid the CPU got to hot when the pump died. Hard to believe though, I don't think the CPU was over 77 degrees and that was only for a few seconds.

Usually the Cpu is either dead or working, it sounds to me like an issue within the BIOS. Post up a pic of the BIOS maybe well see something out of order.

OK. I will post as soon as I can. Would the overheating possibly just damage the CPU and cause instability? Or does not work that way? Could the excessive heat have damaged the motherboard/socket? I'd really hate to have to buy new parts! Not in the budget. I did get windows to finally install....will post bios screens soon as I can.

Memory settings

OK. I will post as soon as I can. Would the overheating possibly just damage the CPU and cause instability? Or does not work that way? Could the excessive heat have damaged the motherboard/socket? I'd really hate to have to buy new parts! Not in the budget. I did get windows to finally install....will post bios screens soon as I can.

I know on some of my builds when I reset bios to default or safe setting in order to check for basic stability just like you are doing now. The settings on the memory are wrong. Usually it defaults to undervolting memory. You can try running your memory at required volts and at 400mhz vs 800 to rule out memory as an issue.

I agree that 77c should not damage the processor at the settings you had. Similar to the RAM you can underclock CPU and see if it stops freezing. I have had to do this to an old AMD XP processor years ago after overclocking hard on stock cooler. It would only run at 200 under its default hz.

The 212 evo is a great cooler and can allow for good OverClocking depending on case and ambient temps. Your case is a good case and will be fine. I have friends running 212 on 8320 and the are getting excellent temps. I used arctic silver and applied similar to CC method. From other reviews I have read on that cooler for this processor my temps were better by a few degrees.

Well I checked all my connections, usb3 header was a little loose, reseated that. Got windows reinstalled, have been reinstalling apps for about an hour and no freezes. Yet. Will update later. Hyper 212 will be here tomorrow! I have 3 212+ in other machines and it works well. But I don't think those CPUs, x6, x2 555 don't put out as much heat. That's why I was asking. But from what I've read it should be good for an 800mhz over clock. Thanks for the help!

A 212 should be fine on the 8320e, you may even be able to get a bit higher then 4.2 Ghz. Since it's working, post some screen shots of Hwmonitor under load, when you get it installed.

Will do. I was going to purchase the 8350 but got the fx 8320e for 99 and the ud3p for 45 thru a combo deal. Figured I'd save a few bucks and just over clock it too an 8350. Those fx 8 cores shred thru encoding!

Will do. I was going to purchase the 8350 but got the fx 8320e for 99 and the ud3p for 45 thru a combo deal. Figured I'd save a few bucks and just over clock it too an 8350. Those fx 8 cores shred thru encoding!
With enough cooling you should be about to Oc the Fx 8320e to the upper 4 Ghz range. I would bet the CM 212 will do about 4.4 Ghz I've had mine on Air for testing and I can do 4.6 on a Thermalright Ultra 120mm Extreme, which is a little bit better heatsink then the 212, which I also own. Though, my 8350 needs more volts for X oc then the latter Fx chips that have been coming through these forums.

We do have a few people that use the Fx 8xxx chips for encoding and they do seem to do a very good job at it, especially when Oced.

Well after a fresh install of windows, my random freeze ups are still there. I may try to flash the bios and see if that stops the freeze ups. Looks like a new board or cpu or both may be in the future. Unfortunately not for a while with back to school time for the kids.

If it was running fine before the heatsink died, it's likely not the BIOS. I still doubt it's the Cpu, is it possible,yes. They are pretty tough processors though, I know of a few members that have run theirs in the 80+C range 24/7 at 100% load for extended periods of time without issue. Post up screen shots of the following tabs in Cpu-Z, Cpu, Spd and Memory. You can use the "insert image" Icon to host the pics to the forum. It may be that the ram isn't set correctly or one of the voltages.

I will get the screen grabs and post them within the next few days. I'm hoping we can get this figured out! Appreciate the help Mandrake!

Heres some cpuz pics. I do have cool and quiet enabled. cpuz1.jpg

cpuz2.jpg

PicsArt_1439526585398.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I believe the vcore in the pic was captured before it went up to 1.2 due to the cool and quiet.

Back