• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fx 8320E cooling for mild overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I had a spare jetflo 120mm fan that i swapped with the hyper 212 stock fan. Its louder but moves a ton more air than the stock fan. Just added insurance. I'm digging the added performance from the stock speed of 3.2 to 4.3..i think too get this type of mutithreaded performance with intel i probably wouldve had to get an i7! I'd say i got some serious bang for my buck! Not sure why AMD gets such a bad rap, I know the tech is a few years old, but for most people AMD cpus are fast enough too handle anything. If I could afford an Intel i7 setup I would but with my modest budget, AMD is the way.

Not sure why AMD gets such a bad rap, I know the tech is a few years old, but for most people AMD cpus are fast enough too handle anything.

Yes they are adequate for the most part and in some areas will out do the intels. BUT their Achilles is their single thread performance hands down. Plus added power usage and their heat. To get "good" performance from an FX comparable to Intel takes a bigger investment in mobo/psu and cooling. In the end if it's performance you want the FX stops being the "bang for the buck" quite quickly.

I agree, doesn't make much sense to me to buy a budget CPU, throw it in a $200 mobo, slap a $100 water cooler on it just too get the performance one would get from a stock Intel at that price, but I also know people do it too seehow far they can go...But for my budget and situation the fx fit my usage needs and budget that I couldn't get with Intel at that price point. So far the fx has impressed me! For my encodes and all round usage it definitely was a nice upgrade from my 1055t. I'm sure I went a bit overkill on getting a gtx 970 as most of my gaming is done on ps4 but I got such a good deal on it(under 300 w/2 games back in may) that it was too good to pass on. Plus I dont upgrade GPUs often. My last one was a 560ti. I do appreciate everyone's help getting me some free performance from my chip!

These Fx Cpu's are really good yes they may not give you every last framerate when gaming and they do suffer from single core performance. In the real world though, most users will not notice any difference. If you look at my signature I have both the Fx 8350 and the I7 4770k. In every day usage I do not feel or see any difference between the two. Bottom line is you're happy with the 8320 and that is a good thing. Happy to help you along, if the performance bug bites again, just come calling. A bunch of us have really pushed these chips hard and know their nuances pretty well.

I may push it a little more, the jetflo seems to be helping more than i thought with temps. Ran IBT for 10 runs and it only peaked at 52c, also seems my socket temp is a bit better, only about a 6-7c difference from core temp. it was 10c or more before. But for now i'm good.. ;)

Yes they are adequate for the most part and in some areas will out do the intels. BUT their Achilles is their single thread performance hands down. Plus added power usage and their heat. To get "good" performance from an FX comparable to Intel takes a bigger investment in mobo/psu and cooling. In the end if it's performance you want the FX stops being the "bang for the buck" quite quickly.

It is all about perception Johan. But I think if you shop wisely new, or buy used on eBay you can get some really good bang for the buck. On eBay you can get really good deals on used AM3+ boards and processors if you are patient. On the Intel side it is much harder to get good deals.

Last edited:
Well, I had my CPU happily chugging along at 4.2ghz for awhile now, but recently I scored a noctua nh-d14 for half price! Ive read that it competes up there with some 240mm AIO coolers!? Seems that this is my best bet for high end cooling that isnt water. I'm going swap out my hyper 212 and see if I can push to 4.6 or more! I will post back once the new cooler arrives.....

Well, I had my CPU happily chugging along at 4.2ghz for awhile now, but recently I scored a noctua nh-d14 for half price! Ive read that it competes up there with some 240mm AIO coolers!? Seems that this is my best bet for high end cooling that isnt water. I'm going swap out my hyper 212 and see if I can push to 4.6 or more! I will post back once the new cooler arrives.....

Nice can't wait to see how it does.

So while I await my nh d14 too arrive, I got an 80mmx15mm fan. There is a spot on the right side of my case for it too blow on the socket. As of right now my vrm and socket temps are in the mid 50's during stress testing, I've seen no throttling. Does cooling the socket have an impact on stability? Would I be able to go with less volts if the socket is cooler? I figure the nh d14 will aid in cooling vrms since the 140mm fan hangs below the heat sink, so I figured I'd add the fan to the back of the socket too.

It will help and so will the D14. Any heat you can pull out the better. The socket if not under control will cause throttling so the fan on the back really helps for the next stage. Npw that you can give it more volts the socket temp goes up pretty fast so that's like a pre-emptive strike. :borg:

Should I place the fan blowing on the back of the socket or pulling air out? I'm assuming blowing on it would be best. Once I get the d14 I will post before and after temps, and then I'm going to shoot for 4.6ghz. What is the recommended max volts for 24/7 usage on the fx CPUs? 1.55? I probably won't be pushing it over 1.45. As it sits at 4.2ghz, I'm using 1.35. Hopefully it won't take too many bumps in vcore too reach my goal.

Blowing on works the best from my experience. And your cooling will run out before you hit max volts

1451518163442.jpg

Got the D14 installed and a fan blowing on back of socket, temps dropped 10+ degree's! So I upped the vcore and got too 4.5. Screen cap is after 2+ hours of p95. Looks like I may have some headroom to make it to 4.6?

Got the D14 installed and a fan blowing on back of socket, temps dropped 10+ degree's! So I upped the vcore and got too 4.5. Screen cap is after 2+ hours of p95. Looks like I may have some headroom to make it to 4.6?
Definitely have the headroom to try for more, have at her! 70c on the socket and 62 on the cores/package :thup:

The d14 and fan on socket definetly brought my socket temps in check. Used to be 8-10 higher than the package temp. Looks like my "mild over clock" is no longer mild! I guess I might as well keep pushing the GHz until I reach the thermal limit, or until I get to 1.47v!

Well considering you're at 1.40 Cpu V under load I'd imagine you would run out of temp headroom before you reach 1.47 Cpu V. These things sure do heat up quickly when you push the volts to them, only trying will tell though. Additionally, 4.5 at 1.40 V is a pretty good Oc for those volts.

Well to get even a 2 hour stable 4.6 was taking several bumps in volts. even at 1.45v 4.6 would drop a core after 3 hours. decided to back down to 4.5ghz @ 1.404. Ran p95 blend for 12 hours and not a probablem, max temps on package and socket never went over 56. Not worth the added heat and voltage for an extra 100mhz in my opinion. For less than $180 I scored a 4.5ghz 8 core cpu, mobo and D14. I feel like i got quite a bit of bang for my buck! For a first time "real" overclock I feel 1.3ghz over stock is a good accomplishment!

Nice work. I agree with you on sticking to the 4.5 Oc, sometimes in our quest for bigger numbers we lose the reality that the extra X mhz and X voltage may not be worth the performance gain. An overclock of 4.5 at 1.40 V is not bad at all, for a daily overclock. :thup:

Back